Contemporary Christian Versions of Traditional Hymns
Traditional Hymns Meet Contemporary Christian
Traditional hymns are still very relevant. It is always interesting to hear the various interpretations of hymns by Contemporary Christian music artists. Whether you need to find such versions for an event, or for personal enjoyment, these songs are definitely memorable. No matter how an artist interprets a song, the message of the song is still wonderfully the same: to praise the One who created life, and died to save it.
1. Sparrow by Audrey Assad
1. Sparrow by Audrey Assad - This version of His Eye is on the Sparrow is very calm and is easy to listen to. Audrey Assad has such a smooth, light voice. This interpretation definitely makes the words of this song meaningful. It helps the listener to feel the feelings of God, who cares so much about us. It is a light, uplifting song that helps us to feel comforted; God loves us and takes care of us. We can feel secure, free, and happy in Christ.
2. You Are My Vision by Rend Collective
2. You Are My Vision by Rend Collective Experiment: This interpretation of Be Thou My Vision by the Irish band Rend Collective Experiment is wonderful to listen to with a folk-sounding feel to it. Throughout the song, you can definitely hear their passion for the words in the song. You can hear the joy coming through. This upbeat song will likely put a smile on your face!
3. O, For a thousand Tongues to Sing by David Crowder Band
3. O, For a thousand Tongues to Sing by David Crowder Band - This contemporary version provides an upbeat version of the song O, For A Thousand Tongues to Sing. The band adds an alternate, fresh chorus to the song. This song is sure to make us happy and remind us of God, who is worthy to be praised.
4. Crown Him (Majesty) by Chris Tomlin and Kari Jobe
4. Crown Him (Majesty) by Chris Tomlin and Kari Jobe - This version of Crown Him With Many Crowns is a very powerful song that yields strong emotion. This song does not only include the lyrics to Crown Him With Many Crowns, but Chris Tomlin includes additional lyrics describing the majesty of God. Kari Jobe creates beautiful harmonies and the orchestra adds so much. All aspects of this song create a wonderful way to worship God.
5. Jesus Paid it All by Newsboys
5. Jesus Paid it All by Newsboys - This contemporary version of Jesus Paid It All provides a unique worship experience. Michael Tait, lead singer, sings with much expression and emotion. No matter how this song is sung, the message is still the same: Jesus paid for all of our sins and we praise Him for it.
6. Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing by Chris Rice
6. Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing by Chris Rice - This song covered by Chris Rice is very calm and comforting. The music is soothing, as well as Rice’s voice. He creates wonderful dynamics and sings the song very sensitively. His musical choices definitely allow the listener to have a greater appreciation for the lyrics of the song. It effectively expresses our inability to measure up to God’s standards, and our gratitude for what He has done for us.
7. ‘Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus by Casting Crowns
7. ‘Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus by Casting Crowns - This song covered by Casting Crowns is very nice and seems to lean more toward a traditional interpretation of the song. The voice of Mark Hall, lead singer, contrasts nicely with the background vocals. The stylistic choice is consistent with the message of the song.
8. Just a Closer Walk With Thee by Bart Miller (from MercyMe)
8. Just a Closer Walk With Thee by Bart Miller (from MercyMe) - This upbeat version by Bart Miller (from MercyMe) is definitely meant to be interpreted in a positive light. The listener of this song will definitely be entertained. Rather than singing this song in a slower tempo, Miller chooses to focus on the happy emotion of daily walking with the Lord and trusting Him throughout the process.
9. How Great Thou Art by Carrie Underwood
9. How Great Thou Art by Carrie Underwood - This version by Carrie Underwood is definitely powerful. She sings this song with such great feeling. The guitar and vocals of Vince Gill add a wonderful touch to the song. This song is memorable no matter who sings it, but this version definitely falls into that category.
10. This Is My Father’s World by Gungor
10. This Is My Father’s World by Gungor - This mellow version of This is my Father’s World by Gungor allows for reflection on the lyrics and the simply beautiful melody of the song. The strings in the background are very nice, as well. This song allows us to step back and appreciate the wonder of God’s creation. It also allows us to be happy that He is in control and that we do not need to be sad.
Which type of song you like more?
Hymns Are Still Relevant
It is often interesting and enjoyable to hear a different take on a traditional hymn. Hymns that were often written many years ago can relate to all generations, not only through original interpretations, but through christian contemporary interpretations as well. Whichever type of song you like the best, they all share the purpose of praising God.