Desperate Housewives - Seasons 1 - 8 Recap
My TV show addiction at the time - Sex and the City ended in 2004, after only six seasons were aired. I was gutted. It felt as though I had lost four close friends. Yes, I know - they're not real and they only exist on TV, but if you're a true SATC fan like I am, you'll understand. And so, after a brilliant and well written ending of the final season, I made my peace with this fact and bid farewell to Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.
Set in a frictional town of Fairview - in a quiet street known as Wisteria Lane, Desperate Housewives is a show that revolves around the lives of a group of women. It follows their lives as they juggle family life, relationships and careers - but, it also airs their dirty laundry as their secrets are uncovered, hidden truths are revealed and friendships are put to the ultimate test.
Here's paying tribute to one of the best shows ever made - the highlights and top moments of each season.
We are introduced to the four main characters - Susan, Gabrielle "Gaby", Bree and Lynette. The main plot of this season revolves around the suicide of Mary Alice, a friend of the four women one who was also a Wisteria Lane housewife, and we learn of the involvement that her husband and son had in her death. We meet the men of Wisteria Lane - Tom - Lynette's husband; Carlos -Gaby's husband, Mike - Susan's new love interest, and Rex - Bree's husband.
- Gaby has an affair with a much younger man, John - the gardner
- Carlos goes to prison for attacking John once the affair is revealed
- Rex dies after being poisoned by Bree's secret admirer - George
- Tom is fired from his job, leaving Lynette to become the family bread-winner
The main plot for the second season involves the mysterious Betty Applewhite - who moves into Wisteria Lane in the middle of the night. We are also introduced to a new housewife - the conniving Edie Britt, and new love interest for Bree - Orson Hodge.
- Susan's ex-husband becomes engaged to Edie
- Bree struggles to cope with losing her husband, and turns to alcohol
- Betty keeps her mentally ill son locked up in the basement for killing a girl. We later learn that it's in fact her other son that's really the murderer
- Lynette returns to full day work as an Advertising Executive
- Gaby decides to take her marriage more seriously, and plans to start a family with Carlos
- Mike is deliberately run over by Orson at the end of the season
This season's main plot revolves around the dead body that has recently been discovered, as well as new love interests for Susan and Gaby.
- Susan and Mike get married in the woods - with Julie as their sole witness
- Tom discovers that he has a daughter from a previous relationship, and Lynette tries to cope with having another child in the house
- Gaby goes through her divorce with Carlos, and starts dating a Congressman
- While Mike is in a coma, Susan becomes involved with an Englishman whose wife is also in a coma
- Tom announces that he is going to follow his lifelong dream and open his own pizzeria
- There is a shooting at the local grocery store, leaving two characters dead
The mystery for this season revolves around the new neighbour - Katherine Mayfair and her family. She returns to Wisteria Lane 12 years after leaving.
- Lynette discovers that she has cancer
- Bree's daughter announces that she is pregnant, and Bree decides to fake her own pregnancy in order to raise the baby as her own
- Gaby marries the Congressman, but is unhappy and starts an affair with her ex-husband - Carlos
- Susan and Mike get married
- Gay couple, Lee McDermott and Bob Hunter move into Wisteria Lane
- Katherine's abusive ex-husband tracks her down
- A tornado hits Fairview
The time period from last season has jumped ahead five years. Susan has a new lover - a painter named Jackson, Gaby has two daughters, Bree is a successful cookbook writer, and Lynettes twins are almost grown up! The main plot of this season revolves around Dave - Edie's new husband who is looking to take revenge on Mike and Susan for something that happened in the past.
- Gaby has had to cut back on their lifestyle due to Carlos losing his sight
- Tom and Lynette's son has an affair with a married woman
- Bree becomes too focused on her career, causing problems in her marriage to Orson
- Edie dies of electrocution
- Dave befriends Susan's son and tries to kill them
- Mike saves his family
We are introduced to a new neighbour - Angie Bolen and her family. There is much drama surrounding the family, as it appears that they are on the run from something big. This becomes the main plot for season six.
- Mike and Susan remarry
- Susan's daughter - Julie, is attacked by an unknown person
- Katherine becomes infatuated with Mike, and has a mental breakdown when she realizes she's lost him for good
- Lynette attempts to sue Carlos
- Bree has an affair with Susan's ex-husband - Karl
- Karl dies when a plane crashes into a building with him, as well as Orson and Bree inside
- Katherine experiments with becoming a lesbian
- Lynette's life becomes endangered once she realizes that the person whom she has invited to stay in her house is the very same person who tried to kill Julie
The main plot for season seven revolves around Paul Young - who returns to Wisteria Lane to seek revenge on the residents who shunned him during his time in prison. Paul marries a woman named Beth, and the season focuses on her and their marriage as well. We are also introduced to a new housewife - Lynette's college friend, Renee Perry.
- Gaby faces the demons of her past
- Susan and Mike move into a small apartment due to financial problems
- Carlos discovers the truth about who killed his mother
- Lynette and Tom's marriage starts to crumble after Tom accepts a demanding executive job
- Susan is injured during a riot, and becomes extremely ill and in urgent need of an organ donation
- Gaby's stepfather is murdered
The final season of Desperate Housewives begins with the guilt the four women feel after the murder of Gaby's stepfather and the different ways they try to deal with it. Tom and Lynette's marriage comes to breaking point, Bree almost goes to jail and brave Mike dies when he's murdered in Susan's arms.
- Susan and Carlos almost have an affair
- Bree attempts suicide
- Lynette and Tom separate
- Tom's relationship with another woman gets serious
- Orson returns and proclaims his love for Bree
- Bree is put on trial for the murder of Gaby's stepfather
- Gaby goes back to full day work at a boutique
- Julie announces she's pregnant
- Mike is murdered outside his house
- Bree falls in love with her lawyer
- Mrs. McCluskey dies after a battle with cancer
- Renee and Ben get married
- Lynette and Tom declare their love for each other
- Katherine returns to the lane and offers Lynnette a job opportunity in New York
- Susan moves away with Julie to help raise her baby
- Gaby and Carlos move to California - Gaby starts her own talk show
- Bree steps into the world of politics and runs for congress
- Lynette and Tom move to New York