Epic Love Couple of Bollywood
Who is Saira Banu?
- Born on August 23, 1944, Saira Banu is a Bollywood actress and belongs to an Urdu-speaking family. She is the daughter of actress Naseem Banu and producer Mian Ehsan-ul-Haq. She is a professional Kathak and Bharata Natyam dancer.
- At the age of 17, she started her acting debut with the film Junglee that also starred Shammi Kapoor.
- She is mostly known for her romantic roles in movies; Jhuk Gaya Aasman, Aayi Milan Ki Bela, April fool, Aao Pyar Karen, Door Ki Awaz and many more.
- She got married at the age of 22 with 44 year old Dilip Kumar.
- She continued acting even after her marriage with Dilip Kumar. The movie Padosan took her to the list of most successful Bollywood actresses.
- She acted with her husband in the movie named Gopi, which proved to be highly successful at the Box Office.
- During her acting period, she came to be known as a versatile actress and received many offers on a daily basis.
- Her last film named Faisla was with actor Vinod Mehra that released in 1988.
- She was one of the highest paid actresses of the Bollywood from 1963 to 1976.
- Saira does not have any children, but a niece named Shaheen, who was married to Bollywood actor named Sumit Saigal.
Who is Dilip Kumar?
- Born on December 11, 1922, Dilip Kumar was one of the most famous actors of the Bollywood Golden Era.
- Other than his original name Yusuf Khan, he is also known as “Tragedy King” and “Legendary Khan”. Bollywood director Satyajit Ray used to describe him as the “Ultimate Method Actor”.
- He was the first actor to receive the Film fare award for the Best actor and has won maximum awards in that category more than any other actor for which he also holds the Guinness World Record.
- Devika Rani, leading actress of Bollywood Golden Era, gave him film offers and also named him Dilip Kumar.
- At the age of 22, his first film was released by the name Jwar Bhata, but he was totally uncredited and film did not go well too.
- His film career started with several flops, but when his film Jugnu came into theatres, he became a star and delivered more successful films after that, which includes Shaheed, Nadiya Ke Paar, Shabman and many more.
- He worked for over six decades and acted in more sixty films. During his working period, his rich and deep voice was extremely famous. He was also the highest paid actor of the Indian cinema.
- He has been awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1991, Dadsaheb Phalke Award in 1994, and Padma Vibhushan in 2015 and also honoured with the highest civilian honor Nishan-e-Imtiaz by the Government of India in 1997.
- He was also awarded with Lifetime Achievement Award by CNN-IBN in 2009.
- He gave his maximum Box Office hits with legendary actresses Kamini Kaushal and Vyjanthimala.
- Several Internet death hoaxes were spread from 2011 to 2013 that claimed that the death of Dilip Kumar, but later Saira Banu gave a public statement that he is perfectly alright.
Dilip Kumar and Saira Banu Love Story
- Saira Banu fell in love with Dilip Kumar at an early age of 12. She was stubborn to meet him in person and talk to him like anything.
- At the age of 16, when Dilip’s Mughal-e-Azam was premiered, she hoped to get a glimpse of him during the premiere. But unfortunately, Dilip could not make it that day and she had to return home disappointed.
- When she turned 17, she got the chance to make an entry into films. This was then not too late when she finally met Dilip Kumar. That moment, she felt with great surety that this man is going to be my husband.
- Her dream came true with the help of her mother Naseem Banu, who acted as a Cupid between them. She arranged both of them to hang out together, which was when both of them were at the prime of their career.
- When Dilip went to Saira, destiny took change and he fell in love and ultimately proposed her. This offer was something that Saira could not refuse even in her dreams.
- They got married on October 11, 1966. At that time, Saira was 22 years old while Dilip was 44 years old.
- Lots of people and media guaranteed it to be the failed marriage due to a huge age difference between them, but it has been fifty years now and they have stayed by each other’s side through the thick and thin of the life.
- Their love story is iconic and the beautiful example of true love. They are also called the evergreen couple of the Bollywood.
- Though situations did soar in the mid, when Dilip felt for some other woman named Asma and married her, but Saira had full confidence in her love and it was not too late, when Dilip divorced Asma and get back to Saira forever.
- Even today, Saira calls his husband the Kohinoor, a priceless diamond and says:
I am still madly in love with my Kohinoor. It still feels like as if I met him yesterday. Our marriage has been as enduring and great as so many other marriages that have successfully overcome the ups and downs of the life. There is no marriage, which is totally perfect and it is not even possible to have a perfect one, when human beings, themselves, are not perfect. The secret to marriage is to respect, adore and most importantly, love for each other by heart.— Saira Banu
- On the other hand, Dilip Kumar has also expressed his feelings for her beautiful wife, Saira, on his twitter account.
- In 2016, they have their 50th wedding anniversary. I wonder how many couples, in today’s time, celebrate even their 10th anniversary together.
But looking at the love of this evergreen couple, who says that True Love is not possible, especially for the people working in the film industry?
This love couple is a fine example to the above question who despite of age difference of 22 years and several ups and downs, have managed to stick together till now.