- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
80 Facts about Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations is a monthly manga series written by Ukyō Kodachi and illustrated by Mikio Ikemoto, which is supervised by original manga creator Masashi Kishimoto. The series serves as official continuation of the Naruto series written by Masashi Kishimoto. It adapts the story-line of "Boruto: Naruto the Movie" and then continues the story afterwards. The manga started on May 9, 2016 in the 23rd issue of Weekly Shounen Jump and is currently ongoing.
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations follows the life of Boruto Uzumaki, alongside Sarada Uchiha and Mitsuki, who is tired of his father never being there for him and his sister Himawari. Boruto is not aware of the responsibilities the Hokage title bears and thus starts hating both the Hokage title and ninjas in general, slacking off during his training to become one.
Despite all this, Boruto is desperate to make his father Naruto proud so he would finally turn his eye to him. For that reason, he confronts Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto's rival, to be his teacher. After he was unable to meet Sasuke's standards and creating a Rasengan, Boruto was tempted by Katasuke to use a Kote, a device that allows anyone to perform any ninjutsu pre-stored in a scroll, to unleash the Rasengan, which is mostly forbidden for use due to Naruto's policy that a ninja should not rely on tools to fight, but on his own strength. But, Boruto did not stop here.
After entering the Chunin Exam, he uses the Kote several times to get out of pinch situations, despite the rule that it's forbidden to use a Kote during the exam. What will happen when Naruto finds out that his son, he was so proud of, cheated to win? And what will happen when the Chunin Exam gets interupted due to an attack which separates father and son?
"Let me just tell you this right off the bat. This isn't a story of a boy aspiring to be Hokage. That was my dad's story. Make no mistake. Start to finish, this is my story!"— Boruto Uzumaki in "Boruto Uzumaki!!"
We will talk about:
Boruto: Naruto the Movie
Boruto: Naruto the Movie
Boruto: Naruto the Movie is the eleventh Naruto film. The movie was released in Japanese theatres on August 7, 2015, and in the United States with English subtitles on October 10 of the same year.
- The film has grossed ¥2.02 billion (US$16.8 million) after three weekends, topping its prequel as the highest grossing feature film in the franchise.
- Zai no Sho - a limited edition official movie book that was given to those who watched the movie in Japanese theatres. It contains an one-shot manga named "The Day Naruto Became Hokage", as well as chapter 700 in full colour.
- The movie has two promotional posters drawn by Kishimoto.
- In addition to writing the light novel of the movie, Ukyō Kodachi also collaborated with Kishimoto on the movie screenplay.
- The theme song for the movie is Diver, performed by KANA-BOON.
- The English release date of the movie coincided with Naruto Uzumaki's birthday.
- During the last fight against Momoshiki and Kinshiki, at roughly 01:15:00, Kakashi's ninken Pakkun can be seen.
- The castle which is shown in the beginning of Boruto: Naruto the Movie is the same castle we saw in the ice dimension in Naruto chapter 682 where Naruto and Sasuke fought against Kaguya.
- After the Shinobi World War ended, Konoha shinobi started wearing their clan symbols or clans they are close to on their armbend. In Boruto: Naruto the Movie, Naruto isn't wearing his armbend, but this was later corrected in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations.
- When Naruto was buying a birthday present for Himawari, the shop he was at had a display of Mecha-Naruto and Kurama. In the Naruto Storm Series, you can find Mecha-Naruto and Kurama, who were designed by Kishimoto especially for the game.
- Kiba appeared in Boruto: Naruto the Movie before the start of the second phase of the Chunin Exam together with Tamaki and the cat Shu. It's still unknown what kind of relationship those two have, since they appeared in the last chapter of the Naruto manga together as well.
- The place where Naruto, Sasuke, the Kage and Boruto fought against Momoshiki and Kinshiki is actually another planet. It is referred to as Momoshiki's Planet. It resides in a different dimension than Earth and is only accessible using space–time ninjutsu. A God Tree once grew there, attracting the attention of Kinshiki and Momoshiki. After some time, they fed off the God Tree's chakra and by the time of Boruto: Naruto the Movie, the God Tree was dead. Though the planet's air is still breathable, it no longer has any native life forms. Being able to host a God Tree, it's unknown if the planet in the past also hosted a certain sentient being and also shared the same dark past like the Earth.
Team Konohamaru is a Konohagakure team formed under the leadership of Konohamaru Sarutobi. Its members are Boruto Uzumaki, Mitsuki, and Sarada Uchiha.
Loud, energetic, and stubborn not unlike his father are the adjectives which describe Boruto. Because of his prodigious talents, Boruto has a high opinion of himself and freely brags about his abilities, but due to his arrogance, he doesn't value team-mates or teamwork, believing he can do anything on his own. Both Sasuke and Naruto commented that Boruto resembles them when they were young displaying Naruto's mischievous habits to get attention, energetic, and stubborn and displayed Sasuke's desire for power even by using shortcuts.
- "Boruto" is the Japanese pronunciation of the English word "bolt". His name is a reference to his cousin Neji, whose name means "screw".
- He also has a verbal tic, "dattebasa", similar to Naruto's "dattebayo" and his paternal grandmother's "(da)ttebane".
- Masashi Kishimoto confirmed during a TV interview that he gave Sasuke the role of Boruto's master due to the inspiration of Akira Toriyama's Son Gohan and Piccolo.
- Boruto is a prodigy able to learn various advanced techniques in short periods of time. He is deemed an elite genin, such that Mitsuki believes it's inevitable he'll be Hokage someday. When his father trained with him prior to his graduation from the Academy, Naruto briefly forgot he was only fighting an Academy student and contemplated going all out to keep up with Boruto.
- Boruto has been able to perform the Shadow Clone Technique even before becoming a genin. His nature transformations include Wind, Lightning, and Water Release. Like his father, Boruto is shown to have a high level of chakra.
- Masashi Kishimoto intended to give Boruto the Byakugan, but forgot to before releasing chapter 700.
- In artwork for Boruto, Boruto is depicted with the Byakugan and in a chakra mode similiar to the Nine-Tails Chakra Mode.
- According to the character trivia, Boruto's attributes are: 160 in dexterity, 140 in chakra, 130 in perception, 120 in strength, and 90 in intelligence and negotiation. He has four stars in evasion and ninjutsu, and three stars in unarmed hand-to-hand fighting.
According to Naruto, Sarada's personality takes after Sakura's, which he bases on the suspicion that Sarada is "scary" when she's angry. In these and other moments of particularly strong feeling, Sarada often exclaims her mother's characteristic "Shannarō!".
- Sarada is the Japanese pronunciation of the Portuguese word "salada". Her name is also derived from Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of knowledge. It is also the name of Sarada Devi; wife and spiritual counterpart of Ramakrishna.
- She is apparently the only participant in the Chunin Exams to have heard of the book series called Shinobi Strategist Detective Story, much less read all four volumes.
- Because of Naruto, Sarada decides to make her dream to become Hokage, preferring the kind of life Naruto has to the life of her father. It's because of delivering the lunch to Naruto in Naruto Gaiden that she's decided her dream in life is to become Hokage.
- She wears a pair of red glasses, which are a gift from Karin, who helped Sakura give birth to Sarada while she and Sasuke were on a mission. Therefore, there is no record of her birth in the Konoha Hospital.
- Like her father, her natures include Lightning and Yin Release.
- Sarada awakened the Sharingan at age 11 out of excitement at being able to see her father after many years.
- Sarada's hobby is reading (history and mystery). Her favourite foods are things that are based on black tea flavours. Her least favourite food is tomato.
- According to character trivia, her attributes are: 160 in strength and negotiation, 150 in chakra, 145 in intelligence, 140 in perception, and 130 in dexterity. She has four stars in marksmanship, genjutsu, and ninjutsu knowledge.
- In artwork for Boruto, Sarada is depicted with a dōjutsu reminiscent of the Mangekyō Sharingan.
Mitsuki is a synthetic human, created by Orochimaru, being cultivated from the same embryo as at least one older "Mitsuki". He has a very calm and a matter-of-fact demeanour. He is also shown to have a sharp wit, being well-read and observant.
- Just like his "brother", Mitsuki was named after "Tsuki" (杯, Literally meaning: Vessel) and the sixth sign of the Chinese zodiac calendar, "Mi" (巳, Literally meaning: Snake). But, after leaving Orochimaru, he replaced the second character with "Tsuki" (月, Literally meaning: Moon).
- Mitsuki mastered Sage Transformation when he decided to rebel against his "parent" and "older brother", albeit he is only able to access this ability subconsciously. Unique to him, he gains a cyan chakra shroud that forms into ethereal snakes around his body to aid in his attack range, and he grows out a single horn from his forehead. Mitsuki is also able to achieve Sage Mode, making him one of the youngest people to achieve it.
- Orochimaru stated that Mitsuki is genetically perfect and potentially more powerful than the Sannin himself.
- Mitsuki's signature technique is the Soft Physique Modification technique, where he can stretch and lengthen his arms to use as weapons and restraints. He also can shatter barriers using an unknown technique, simply by touching them.
- Like his creator, Mitsuki can use the Summoning Technique to summon snakes, with which he can perform Hidden Shadow Snake Hands, as well as the Snake Clone Technique. He also excels in Medical Ninjutsu, curse techniques and can utiliste Wind Release.
- Mitsuki's hobbies are databook reading and card games. His favourite food is scrambled eggs. His least favourite food is meat from animals with scales.
- According to character trivia, his attributes are: 165 in intelligence, 150 in negotiations, 140 in dexterity, 130 in strength, 123 in perception, and unknown in chakra. He has four stars in espionage activities and three stars in curse techniques and medical ninjutsu.
This is a Konohagakure team formed under the leadership of Moegi. Its members are Chouchou Akimichi, Inojin Yamanaka, and Shikadai Nara.
Shikadai takes after his father, Shikamaru, in several ways, possessing a similar relaxed, unenthusiastic personality. He finds participating in activities to be very tiresome and is quick to shirk out of them.
- Stemming from his lax nature, he also isn't one to properly respect rank, greeting his uncle, the Kazekage, plainly before flatly asking for his other uncle Kankuro.
- Shikadai is referred to as a gamer and seems to have a strong moral code. For instance, he was personally offended when Boruto revealed he was cheating in the video game the two play with Inojin. He also gave up against Boruto in their Chunin Exam fight because he felt that as a gamer, one should understand when to give up to fight another day when the odds are overwhelmingly against you.
- Shikadai has been hailed as a prodigy amongst the Nara clan, having inherited his father's intellect and possessing the Kazekage clan bloodline.
- During his fight against Boruto, Shikadai said he had at least 12 countermeasures in place if Boruto had used the Rasengan.
- Before Shikadai was born, the counsellors of Sunagakure stated that if his uncles die without heirs, he, as a descendant of Rasa's bloodline, would become the Kazekage; Suna considered it a crisis for a Konohagakure-born shinobi to become Kazekage, and this reasoning was used to force Gaara into taking a wife.
- According to the movie's light novel adaption, Shikadai's role-playing character, when he plays with Boruto and Inojin, is a silver armour-clad, two-handed sword wielding warrior.
- Shikadai's hobbies are shogi, simulation games, and taking afternoon naps. His favourite foods are sashami and water eggplants. His least favourite food is spinach.
Inojin seems rather obedient and the most reasonable of the new generation of the Ino-Shika-Cho trio, as he, unlike his team-mates, insisted on going to training to learn the techniques. He may have inherited a penchant for insensitivity from his father, Sai. He also seems to have inherited the role of being the most motivated of the trio from his mother, Ino, and his late grandfather Inoichi.
- Inojin is able to effectively animate his drawings for various purposes, though his drawing style differs from that of his father's greatly. He even states that his father's style of drawing is so old-fashioned.
- In his backpack, he carries two items, the handles of which can be seen at each side.
- According to the movie's light novel adaption, Inojin's role-playing character, when he plays with Shikadai and Boruto, is a white mage.
- Inojin's hobbies are painting/drawing and playing first-person shooter games. His favourite foods are cheese and takoyaki. His least favourite foods are fatty meats.
Like her father, Chouchou never turns down an invitation when it comes to food. She seems to be somewhat self-centred as she thought many situations revolve around her.
- In stark contrast to her father, who was always quick to rile when his weight was brought up, she was easily able to brush off being called fat. Her weight, in fact, doesn't seem to bother her at all, rather, Chouchou appears to be quite confident and self-assured, a trait she perhaps inherited from her mother.
- Chouchou's hobbies are eating contests and appreciating TV dramas. Her favourite foods are just about anything. Her least favourite foods are just about nothing.
This genin team from Sunagakure consists of the three children of the Fifth Kazekage Gaara and as such hail from the Kazekage clan. The members are Araya, Shinki and Yodo.
- The movie guidebook includes character sketches of the team's leader, though he is not seen in the movie.
- All three members of this team have markings around their eyes similar to those of their father and grandfather.
She is another member of Team Shinki. Yodo is described to be extremely confident with a keen gleam in her eyes.
- She also has no problem showing the extent of her true abilities. She is also seen not paying attention to her father and uncle on their trip to Konoha before the Chūnin Exams, instead listening to music with headphones in.
- Yodo is depicted with grey eyes in the novel and movie, while she has blue eyes in the manga.
- Kishimoto has stated he wanted to draw a punk-like girl with Yodo.
Shinki is described as the calm and collected leader-like figure of his team. Shinki is shown to be very prideful and proud of his heritage, telling his father their team won't tarnish his name and will achieve victory. He also is very confident in his teams abilities, not believing the teams from the other villages to be anything to worry about in the upcoming Chunin Exams.
- Just like Kankurō, Shinki sports face paint, which takes the shape of two red "E"-like markings that are similar to designs on Gaara's Sand Gourd.
- Shinki is capable of using the Magnet Release kekkei genkai, allowing him to control Iron Sand, which he conveniently carries around with him, shaped into a cloak.
Araya is a shinobi of Sunagakure's Kazekage Clan, and a member of Team Shinki. Araya has a quick wit, composure, and uses a sword in battle, indicating skills in kenjutsu.
This team consists of shinobi from Kumogakure: Yurui, Tarui and Toroi.
Yurui has an arrogant personality as he looks down on Konohagakure shinobi and boasts the superiority of Kumo.
- Yurui (緩い) literally means "lenient".
- Kishimoto has stated he was based on Kumo's "B line" of shinobi; as Yurui looks up to Killer B.
- Just like Killer B, he also has a tattoo of a bull's horn on his left cheek (which corresponds to Eight-Tails not having a left horn).
With her appearance and sharp gaze, Tarui overwhelms everyone around her with a different atmosphere and contends with a clear state of mind.
- Kishimoto has stated she was made to match her name.
- "Tarui" means "bored" in Japanese.
- In Boruto: Naruto Next Generations manga, Tarui has light skin, while in the novel and movie she has dark skin.
He is the third member of this team.
- Like many of the shinobi from his generation that look up to Killer B, he has a blue tattoo of bull's horn on his left cheek.
- Kishimoto has stated he wanted to design someone with lazy movement, but is still a ninja.
- "Toroi" means "slow" in Japanese, in respects to both body and mind.
Himawari Uzumaki is a young citizen of Konohagakure, as well as a member of the Uzumaki clan, and a descendant of the Hyuuga clan. Himawari is a cheerful, considerate, and kind-hearted individual. She also takes after her paternal grandfather being patient, supportive, and understanding of her often-absent father and his Hokage duties, but yearns for him to be home at times. However, Himawari can become very confrontational when provoked, showing an intimidating and violent side.
- Despite her young age, Himawari has shown considerable potential, being able to terrify her prodigious older brother when angry, and knock out her Kage-level father with a single blow.
- Stemming from the Hyuuga heritage on her mother's side, Himawari awakened the Byakugan out of anger after her favourite toy was torn by Boruto.
- The name "Himawari" means "sunflower". When reversed, the first two kanji spell "Hyuuga", which can also be read "Hinata", making her name a reference to both her mother and the Hyuuga clan.
- Himawari and Boruto were the only known descendants of the Hyuuga clan who initially did not possess the Byakugan. However, according to Masashi Kishimoto, he intended to give them the Byakugan, but forgot to before releasing chapter 700. This was corrected in the "Zai no Sho" one-shot where Himawari awakened her Byakugan.
Metal Lee is a genin-level shinobi ofKonohagakure's Lee clan. Metal is also a member of an unspecified team that participated in the Chunin Exams. Metal is a hot-blooded and dedicated shinobi, much like his father Rock Lee, who he has sincere respect for, and his father's sensei.
- Like his father, Metal appears to specialise in taijutsu, and is recognised as a genius within his clan.
Who is your favourite character?
The Otsutsuki clan is a family of extra-terrestrials. After part of the clan's arrival on Earth a millennium ago, the Otsutsuki began having a lasting influence on the human population, notably starting the history of shinobi.
Since an unspecified time in the distant past, the Otsutsuki have been travelling through different dimensions seeking out worlds with the God Tree. Once they find such a world, they harvest the god trees' fruit so that they can use its chakra to gain power and prolong their lives. In the case of Momoshiki, Kinshiki, and Kinshiki's ancestors, they would remain on a world until the God Tree was dead and the world could no longer support life, at which point they would seek out a new one.
- "Ōtsutsuki" roughly means "big bamboo tree" and is derived from an obscure passage in the second volume of the Kojiki about the genealogies of Emperor Suinin, eleventh emperor of Japan, which states that he had a consort named Kaguyahime no Mikoto, the daughter of a king named Ōtsutsukitarine no Miko; tradition holds that these individuals served as the basis for Princess Kaguya and the old bamboo cutter in The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.
- During the clan's civil war, the main and branch families used different emblems to set each other apart: the main family used an eight-pointed sun ray, while the branch family used a combination of the Six Paths Yin and Yang symbols, a crescent moon and a sun.
- Hinata is referred to by the entire clan as the "Byakugan Princess". The reason for the title is not explained, but by having it, Hinata is immune to Toneri's chakra drain and she is the only individual who can destroy the Tenseigan.
Momoshiki was a member of the Otsutsuki clan. He and his subordinate, Kinshiki, originate from an unknown location. Momoshiki was typically calm, collected, and calculating. However, he had been prone to demonstrate sadistic tendencies. Momoshiki also has a severe superiority complex and thought very lowly of people other than himself, calling Naruto, Sasuke, Boruto and Sarada "lowly beings".
- Sasuke and Naruto both agreed Momoshiki's personality is a mirror image of Sasuke's when he was bent on killing Itachi.
- Alongside Kinshiki, he was deemed a threat greater than Kaguya, the progenitor of chakra on Earth.
- Unlike other Rinnegan wielders, Momoshiki's Rinnegan was red in colour instead of light purple. However, after transforming from his absorption of Kinshiki, the Rinnegan in Momoshiki's palms turned purple and he gained an additional purple Rinnegan on his forehead.
- In the novel, Momoshiki could also use the Ice Release.
- Similar to how Kaguya was named, Momoshiki's naming convention seems to follow the Japanese folklore motif. It is a reference to Momotarō, while Kinshiki is a reference to Kintarō.
Kinshiki was a descendant of the Otsutsuki clan and the obedient subordinate of Momoshiki. Kinshiki was very loyal to Momoshiki and was also a father figure to him, to the extent that he offered himself to be changed into a chakra pill.
- As already said, his name seems to follow the Japanese folklore motif and it's a reference to Kintarō.
- Masashi Kishimoto's character sketch of Kinshiki shows him with normal-sized hands.