- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
17 One Punch Man Facts about Saitama
Saitama is the main protagonist of One Punch Man series and, as you already know, he is the most powerful hero ever!
Saitama currently works for Hero Association as a B-Class hero, however, when he was accepted he was even a lower rank - C-Class hero. Saitama's profession requires from him to protect everyone who is living in Z City. Saitama has a hero nickname "Caped Baldy", which he got while working for Hero Association.
Little is known about Saitama's past except that he watched a lot of superhero shows as a kid and dreamed of becoming a hero himself.
More than three years prior to the start of the story line, Saitama was an unemployed man on a job hunt. One day, after yet another failed interview, a nihilistic-feeling Saitama was wandering the streets and encountered Crabrante. From that moment on, Saitama's hero story begins!
We will talk about:
Mob Psycho 100 references
Friendship with Genos
List of anime and manga facts:
1. When deciding how to present Saitama to the public, ONE, author of One Punch Man, decided to go with a rather simplistic design since there were so many "cool looking superheroes" all around the world.
What's more, ONE believes that hero's coolness comes from their spirit not their looks.
2. On question "In which scene did Yusuke Murata put his passion the most in?", Murata, One Punch Man illustrator, has said that it was the first story of Saitama. Murata had trouble because it felt like he didn't capture the whole being of Saitama because he felt a desperate sense of duty to draw it well.
The next scene he put in his passion the most in is the duel between Saitama and Boros.
3. Since Saitama was based off of Anpanman, his costume was made similar to Anpanman. Anpanman had a red jumpsuit with yellow gloves and boots. When we reverse these colours, we get Saitama's costume.
Anpanman is a Japanese picture book series written by Takashi Yanase, running from 1973 until 2013 following his death. During the Second World War, Takashi Yanase experienced starvation many times which made him dream about eating anpan (a bean-jam filled pastry). This inspired the creation of the Anpanman character.
4. At the very beginning of One Punch Man manga, the color of the cape which Saitama wears is red. This was during House of Evolution Arc. However, the cape color was to changed to white during Meteor Arc.
5. Unfortunately, in One Punch Man universe not everyone is impressed by Saitama's appearance.
Many of Saitama's enemies and even allies see him as a weak person without counting Genos and Kabuto Carnage, who managed to notice it on the first sight that he has a superhuman strength.
6. Since Saitama is not accepted by the rest of characters as the strongest man in the world there are a few who know what he is capable of and they are Genos and Kabuto Carnage, who were above mentioned but Boros, Bang, Sonic, King, Fubuki and License-less Rider as well.
7. Saitama has a habit of arriving late at the battle scene when all other registered heroes have been already defeated which means there is none left to praise him after he defeats the villain.
We could say that is the main reason for Saitama not being popular hero.
8. According to Genos, Saitama true potential is not in appearance but by doing his best in training himself he managed to receive his superhuman strength in just three years.
9. According to One Punch Man: Hero Perfection Q&A, ONE has said that Saitama, before he got jobless, was working part time in a convenience store. This was shown in ONE's picture dairy on his old homepage.
There is a scene where robber is pointing a knife at Saitama and all Saitama did was wondering where is the barcode of the knife. Saitama thought that the knife was one of the merchandise.
10. Before Saitama became professional hero he lived very frugally with his savings. He was doing some troublesome part time jobs. He spent as little of his saved up money and living off vegetables given to him by people he saved.
11. So why Saitama decided to train in order to become a hero?
We already mentioned that Saitama as a child watched a lot of superhero shows. However, that is not the full case. Something happened that changed him forever.
It goes back three years ago prior to the story. In One Punch Man Episode 1, we had a chance to see Saitama saving a kid who drew nipples with a permanent marker on a guy who looks like a crab, Crablante. Even though Saitama at first tried to avoid having any kind of troubles on that day since he failed yet another job interview, the destiny had something else in mind. Forced at the end to fight Crablante and the feeling of the victory later on, made Saitama train for the next three years to achieve superhuman strength and become a hero.
By saving that kid with a large chin, Saitama indirectly was responsible for the creation of Heroes Association since that little kid was the grandchild of multi-millionaire Chinner. Chinner decided create the Association in order to fight evil creatures.
12. ONE has said that Saitama's specialty is in running. Saitama is bad at sports like football, tennis etc. Saitama is bad at team sports in general.
13. There are a few connections between Saitama and Mob Psycho 100 stories. Mob Psycho 100 is also written by ONE. Firstly, Saitama had a cameo appearance in a dream sequence in chapter 80.5 of Mob Psycho 100.
14. Saitama was also seen, in a chapter 200 yen of OPM, wearing a shirt which has Mob Psycho 1000000 written on it. In the twelfth chapter called Paradise Group there is a Mob Psycho 100 manga on the floor near Saitama's futon. Lastly, Mob Psycho 100 character called Arataka Reigen has Saitama as a background on his cellphone in chapter 9.5.
15. Saitama's voice actor also gives his voice to Yotaro Kindaichi from Haikyuu!!.
16. In Saitama's final fight ,in the first season of One Punch Man, against Boros, Saitama was sent to the Moon by Boros.
Saitama made a comeback by jumping from the Moon to the Earth and it took him only 1.5 seconds to reach the Earth. The distance between the Moon and the Earth is 384 400 km, so Saitama's speed was 256 266 km/s. Speed of light is 299 792 km/s. Since this was not Saitama's full power, we can conclude that Saitama can go beyond speed of light.
17. Each Sunday, Saitama makes a reference to Hunter x Hunter without us noticing that. At the near end of the opening of the anime, Saitama places his left hand over his right hand while preparing to strike. This is considered to be a parody of Gon Freecss' signature attack called "Rock".
About One Punch Man series.
One Punch Man started as a webcomic in 2009. by an author who uses a pseudonym ONE. In July of 2009. One Punch Man comic was getting around 20,000 hits per day. Soon after that Yusuke Murata along with its creator ONE started doing a remake of the series.
Anime adaptation of One Punch Man was aired on Oct. 5th and finished airing Dec. 21st. Currently, it has only one season.
Story revolves around a guy called Saitama. Everything about Saitama is average and he is disappointed with what he achieved in life. However, every thing will change for better as Saitama one day stumbles upon a child who's being hunted by a monster called Crablante. Saitama manages to save that child and decides to become a HERO!
© 2015 Fact Fact no Mi