Cool Characters on TV
Who Needs Words?
They speak in short, sharp sentences with voices low and husky.
They rarely look you in the eye and will turn a woman's life upside down before walking off into the sunset without a backward glance.
They're a slick representation of stylish grace and they never break a sweat even when running. They remain timelessly good-looking and make their mothers eternally proud.
Lesser men envy them, grown women just want to tame them.
A Pinch of Salt
This non-scientific, non-definitive list errs on the side of tongue in cheek.
The men I've chosen don't seem to take themselves too seriously, so I haven't either.
2. Bruce Wills
- Vital Statistics: 6ft. Nice Build; hunky without overdoing it, afterall you don't actually need shoulder muscles. Nice Eyes. Cute with or without hair.
- Notable Quote: 'My job is to be entertaining. I have zero interest in trying to convey a message in my films.' (I knew it!)
- Most Famous For: John McLane in Die Hard.
- Other Talents: Chart topping Singer.
- Most Unusual Job: Security Guard. Private Investigator.
- Awards: Too Many to Mention
- Coolness Score: Fries? Yes please.
3. Mark Harmon
- Vital Statistics: 6ft. Classically good looking even with the wrinkles. Looks shorter than 6ft on TV but still suits him.
- Notable Quote: 'If other people think I'm okay looking, that's great, but I don't see it myself. When I look in the mirror all I see is a bunch of fake teeth and football scars.' (fake teeth?!)
- Most Famous For: Playing Leroy Jethro Gibbs in NCIS
- Other Talents: Was pretty good at college football.
- Most Unusual Job: Carpenter. Lifeguard. Shoe Rep for Adidas.
- Awards: Lots.
- Coolness Score: Big happy sigh...............
5. Idris Elba
- Vital Statistics: 6ft 2 and 3 quarters.
- Notable Quote: 'If you look at my résumé, dude, I've mixed it up as much as I can. I love to play different roles. That's just the kind of actor I am.'
- Most Famous For: Playing Russell "Stringer" Bell.
- Other Talents: Rapper and DJ
- Most Unusual Job: Sales Rep, Tyre Fitter, Car Manufacturer.
- Awards: 2012 Emmy for BBC detective series Luther
- Coolness Score: Voted 'One of the Hottest Men on the Planet' way back in 2004. Nothing's changed then!
6. Denzel Washington
- Vital Statistics: 6ft and a bit.
- Notable Quote: [on where he likes to keep his Oscars] "Next to each other."
- Most Famous For: Where to start when EVERYTHING he does is outstanding?
- Other Talents: Regularly considers becoming a preacher. National spokesperson for Boys & Girls clubs of America.
- Most Unusual Job: Almost became a biologist before almost becoming a journalist before definitely becoming an actor.
- Awards: Load and loads see Notable Quote above.
- Coolness Score: The way he walks, the way he talks, his charisma, his luscious looks, his well formed body....need I go on?
Samuel L Jackson
7. Samuel L Jackson
- Vital Statistics: 6ft 2 and a half.
- Notable Quote: "I was a square for so long and it totally amazes me that people think I am cool."
- Most Famous For: Pulp Fiction, I think. Well he got an Oscar nomination for it in 1994.
- Other Talents: Avid Golfer.
- Most Unusual Job: Used to be a doorman. Was an usher at Martin Luther King Jnr's funeral. Was a camera stand -in for Bill Cosby.
- Awards: The jury at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival created an award specially for him. They've never done this for anyone else before or since, can't get much cooler than that.
- Coolness Score: See Awards and Notable Quote, also check out his dancing in Soul Men with Bernie Mac, very cool.