A Review of The Happy Peeps Tower Town App
In this day and age, most people who have a cell phone possess a "smart phone." For example, an IPhone, Droid, or Blackberry. Having these smart phones allows the user to do so many things, things that were really unheard of doing on a phone 10 or more years ago. It's like having a mini computer in your hand. Surfing the web, downloading games, and texting are all common features that these phones have. When you download certain games, you are really downloading "apps," or applications for your phone. One of these apps that I recently downloaded was called "Happy Peeps Tower Town." I was very happy with the download and here's why.
The Game In A Nutshell
The game is very simple to understand. Your main objective is to build towers. In order to build these towers you will need some basic supplies: steel, nails, wood, bricks, wires, and glass. Not all of these items are needed to build every tower. As you keep building towers, they get increasingly larger in size, requiring more materials. Another thing that you will need to collect are coins. Coins are needed to purchase decor, residents to live in the towers, and the actually residences. The more buildings you have, the higher in levels you will go. Let me explain how to obtain the items.
The most important feature of the game is energy. Without energy, you can't do anything. You can't build, mine, or collect money. Energy level is always displayed in the top right corner of the screen with a lightning bolt. There are a few ways you can obtain energy.
1. The first way is to wait. Every 5 minutes you receive 1 energy. That means you can do 1 thing. If you wait 25 minutes, you will obtain 5 energies. That means you can do 5 things. The longer you wait, the more energy you will have. The one thing you must remember is that you can't expect to let the game sit for 3 days and have a ton of energy. It maxes out at 26. So in 2 hours and 10 minutes you are at full energy capacity.
2. The second way to obtain energy is by leveling up. Every time you go up a level, you receive full energy. In order to level up, you must obtain XP (experience), which I will talk about later.
3. A third way you can receive energy is by building a wonder (I will describe later) that gives you energy each day.
4. A fourth way to obtain energy is by mining. When you mine you normally receive bricks and coins but sometimes you receive other things like wires, glass, steel, or energy.
5. A fifth way to obtain energy is through a gift. Sometimes when you are mining, a present will pop out and ask you to open it. You will need 2 energies to do this. If you have them, open the gift. If you don't have them, simply exit out of the game (but don't turn the app off) and wait until you have 2 energies to open it. You always get good things in the gifts.
6. A sixth and final way to receive energy is to pair up with another IPhone who also plays Tower Town and "Bump." I will explain "bumping" more later. When you "bump," you can give and receive up to 2 different things from your buddy.
Coins are also an essential part of the Tower Town Game. They are needed to purchase towers, residences, decor, and to move people in. Your coin amount is shown at the top of the screen and it's the 2nd icon in from the right. There are many ways to receive coins.
1. One way to obtain coins is to build businesses in your towers to collect coins as often as they are produced by the business.
2. Another way to collect coins is to mine for them.
3. A third way to collect coins is to make your residents happy by adding decor and shops that they like. (I'll show you that later),
4. A fourth way to receive coins is to "bump" with another player and receive the coins.
5. A fifth way is to build a wonder that allows you to receive a set amount of coins each day.
6. Another way to receive coins is to "level up." When you move up to another level, you receive coins to get your started.
7. A final way to obtain coins is through a gift. Sometimes when you are mining, a present will pop out and ask you to open it. You will need 2 energies to do this. If you have them, open the gift. If you don't have them, simply exit out of the game (but don't turn the app off) and wait until you have 2 energies to open it. You always get good things in the gifts.
Bricks, Steel, Wood, Wires, Glass, Nails, and Pipes
These 7 things are all essential in the building of your new towers and businesses, and some of them are necessary to build an actual residence. In order to see how much of each item you have, you need to look into your storage. Your storage is the little brown bookbag next to the hammer at the bottom right hand side of your screen. Tap the bookbag and your storage will pop up.
The most important item are the bricks. Bricks are essential to build everything. Residences, towers, wonders, and businesses. You also need bricks to put up new decor around your tower. If you want to add a roof to your tower, you need bricks! There are a few ways to obtain bricks:
1. The easiest way to obtain bricks is to mine for them. The game gives you plenty of opportunities to mine for bricks.
2. Another way to receive bricks is to build a wonder that produces a set amount of bricks for you each day.
3. A third way to obtain bricks is through a gift. Sometimes when you are mining, a present will pop out and ask you to open it. You will need 2 energies to do this. If you have them, open the gift. If you don't have them, simply exit out of the game (but don't turn the app off) and wait until you have 2 energies to open it. You always get good things in the gifts.
4. A fourth way to obtain bricks is to "bump" with a friend to receive them.
5. A fifth way to receive bricks is to "level up," in which you move up one level and receive some bricks for your efforts.
Wood is essential in building some residences, towers, and businesses. Wood can be obtained in a few ways:
1. You can chop down trees for the wood. The trees are on top of the mountains that you mine.
2. You can build a wonder that gives you a set amount of wood for the day.
3. A third way to obtain wood is through a gift. Sometimes when you are mining, a present will pop out and ask you to open it. You will need 2 energies to do this. If you have them, open the gift. If you don't have them, simply exit out of the game (but don't turn the app off) and wait until you have 2 energies to open it. You always get good things in the gifts.
4. Someone can "bump" you wood.
5. When you level up, sometimes you receive wood as a reward.
Steel, Wires, Glass, Nails, Pipes
All 5 of these items can be obtained in the same ways.
1. When you mine, you sometimes receive these items along with coins, bricks, and wood.
2. Wonders can be build that give you a set number of these items per day.
3. Gifts can possess these items.
4. You can "bump" with someone and have them give them to you.
5. When you level up, the game sometimes throws one or more of these items to you.
The very first thing you will do when you start the game is build a tower. In order to do this, there will be a sign with numbers on it, such as 2x4, and you will tap it. After you tap it, it will ask you to tap again to build. The numbers tell you how big the tower is going to be. The bigger the tower, the more people it will house, and the more it will cost. The higher in levels that you go up, the bigger your towers will get.
At the bottom of the tower you will notice a place where there are 3 stars that can be or are already filled in. This is a rating scale for your tower. The more things you add: roof, decor, businesses, people, residences, the more stars you will obtain.
Building Residences/Adding Citizens
After you've build a tower, you can add a residence. The best way to build residences is to see what type of an apartment your citizens want to live in. Do this by scrolling to the far left hand side of your screen to the water. There should be a guest standing there with a house above their head. Tap on them to see what they like. Once you've tapped on them, look on the right hand side of the menu that came up to see what type of apartment they want. When you see what it is, you can build it and move them in.
By tapping the Hammer tool in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, you will bring up a Build Menu. In the menu you will see 5 tabs across the top that read: Business, Residence, Decor, Roof, Special. To build a residence, tap the residence tab and choose the apartment type your citizen wants. Tap on it and place it in the building that they will be living in. Once it's built, go back to your citizen and move them in!
Once the citizen is moved in you need to make them at least 50% happy. Tap on the door of your tower to view your residents. If one of your residents likes a red balloon, you should add a red balloon. Go into the Hammer Menu and choose the tab Decor. In there, you can find a red balloon, pay for it, and add it to the tower anywhere you'd like. If that same resident likes a coffee shop, you can add one of those as well. Go into the Hammer Menu and choose Business. Choose the coffee shop and place it in the tower. If your resident is 100% happy, you will receive coins.
If you place businesses in your towers, you can collect money from them as often as they allow you to. For example, a coffee shop produces 30 coins in 5 minutes. So every 5 minutes you could be collecting 30 coins from the coffee shop. As you progress in the game and keep moving up in levels, you will have more options to build businesses that produce more coins. Also, when you build a business and collect from it, you receive XP (experience). The more XP you obtain, the higher in levels you will go. XP can be seen in the top left corner of your screen.
Wonders are presented to the player after every 3 towers are built. For example, once you build three towers, you will be given a sign that says Wonder. Tap the sign and choose the wonder you want to build. There are many options to choose from that give you different items every 24 hours. If you put in a Fire House, you will receive 250 bricks per day. It all depends on what you need at the time. It also costs coins and bricks to build these wonders but they are worth it.
At the bottom of your screen you will notice an information bar with pictures of a hammer, bookbag, cash, friends, the wolds, and a wheel. These all play a part in the game. We've already discusses the hammer and bookbag, so let me explain the other 4.
Cash - If at any time during the game you wish to purchase (with real money) more coins or play cash, you can tap the money and choose which you want to purchase.
Friends - This menu, when tapped on, actually brings up your entire citizen list for your tower town. You can manage your citizens in one menu instead of tapping on each building.
Social - When you tap the world, you are given a menu that consists of Exchange Gifts, Achievements, LeaderBoard, & Screen Shot. Exchange Gifts is what you would tap on to "bump" with someone else. They need to do the same thing, and then you tap your phones together and exchange. The rest of the menus do what they say they do. You can view your achievements, the leader board, and get screen shots.
Settings - The wheel icon is the settings menu where you can adjust your personal settings for the game.
Pro's & Con's
The Tower Town game has many pro's and a few con's. Here's my list of both.
- Uses money management skills
- Uses your thinking processes to strategize
- Helps in making decisions: who to make happy and who not to
- Teaches business practices
- Fun to play
- Game can't be beat in one day
- Can become a friendly competition between people to see who's town is successful the fastest
- Can become a social interaction game; asking other people to "bump"
- Everything takes energy
- Energy takes long to replenish
- Can't make each occupant happy
- Sometimes you can't move the next person on the boat in because you tower is full of residences and doesn't contain the one they want
- It takes long to obtain cash
- You need 3 or 4 energies to mine 1 block of mountain.
Overall, I like playing the Tower Town game. In fact, i'm pretty hooked on it. It's a good game for strategy and business practices, both of which I like. Those of you out there wanting to download a new app, Tower Town is interesting, strategic, and fun!