Hip Hop Music History: 1980s
Do you listen to rap music?
Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow, Fat Boys, Slick Rick, Eric B & Rakim along with a handful of others broke onto the scene creating rap in the late 70s and early 80s.
From 1984-1989 rap had a host of talent that made some classic hip hop hits. Performers such as Fresh Prince, Kool Moe Dee, Big Daddy Kane, Boogie Down Productions and Tone Loc.
Geto Boy's Albums
The Geto Boys
On That Other Level
We Can't Be Stopped
Till Death Do Us Part
There were tons of rap groups during the 1980s when hip hop exploded. Below are the top groups during the 80s.
1. Run DMC: This band is definitely the most famous of the 80s era. They have had many hits including: Mary, Mary, Down with the King and My Adidas. Run DMC, famously teamed with rock band Aerosmith to make, "Walk this Way".
2. N.W.A.: One of the reasons a parental advisory sticker is attached to music. The originators of gangsta rap, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Easy E, MC Wren and Yella, they made many hits then split up and had successful solo careers. Some of their top hits are: Straight Outta Compton and 100 Miles and Runnin.
3. Geto Boys: Scarface, Bushwick Bill and Willie D comprised the Texas rap group called The Geto Boys. One of the most famous rap songs ever is their hit called, "Minds Playin' Tricks on Me".
4. Public Enemy: Chuck D and his sidekick Flava Flav made hard, hitting political music that shook up the music industry. Fight the, is one of the top rap songs of the decade.
5. Beastie Boys: This Brooklyn born threesome produced some huge hits such as: Brass Monkey, Fight for your Right and Paul Revere. They eventually mixed rock with their music in later albums.
Dr. Dre Beats on Amazon
Below are the originators of gangsta rap.
1. N.W.A.: This band pushed the limits of what can be said in music. Hardcore West Coast beats and lyrics.
2. 2-Live Crew: This group along with N.W.A. got the ball rolling on Congress inventing Parental Advisory stickers for albums.
3. Too Short: Too Short mostly raps about women and being a player.
4. Ice T: Famous for being a television and film actor, Ice T first burst on the scene as a gangsta rapper.
Salt 'N Pepa
view quiz statistics
The Ladies of Rap
Lots of females entered the rap game especially in the late 80s. Below are the top ladies of hip hop during the 80s.
1. Salt 'N Pepa: Everyone knows the big hit, " Push It", that was Salt 'N Pepa. Those two along with Spinderella made being a female hip hop group cool to say the least.
2. Queen Latifah: The Queen has went on to bigger fame and fortune with a television career but she is also the most famous female solo hip hop artist of the 80s. My favorite song by Latifah is "Just Another Day".
3. J.J. Fadd: This group blew up after having Dr. Dre produce the beats for the music. Another Hoe and of course Super Sonic went mainstream as hip hop and pop radio stations played them.
4. MC Lyte: In a way MC Lyte was the first woman gangsta rapper. She flowed seamlessly and her song called Roughneck is a classic in the hip hop world.
L.L. Cool J
Best Rap Songs of The 80s (Video)
My Top 5 of the 80s
1. L.L. Cool J: What can I say? Easily the best of the 80s and one of the best of all time. L.L. Cool J has an aura around him on stage and you can tell it is easy for him. My favorites are: I'm Bad, I Need Love and Goin' Back To Cali.
2. Too Short: His lyrics can be a bit dirty but the beats are tight and his flow is clear, smooth and easy to understand. His best songs, in my opinion, are Life is Too Short, Get in Where You Fit In and In the Trunk.
3. Geto Boys: The way these guys connect with each other passing the flow back and forth is awesome. Scarface is one of the best solo artist in rap history as well. They have so many songs that are good but my favorite CD is We Can't be Stopped.
4. Tone Loc: Loc did not stay on the music scene long but he made an impact with his smooth flow. His hits Funky Cold Medina & Wild Thing are classics from the era.
5. N.W.A.: The beats were by Dr. Dre and he performed vocals with Easy E and Ice Cube. Nuff Said.
- Best Jazz Artists of all Time
This musical hub documents the careers of Nat King Cole, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and John Coltrane. Video clips, photos, maps, polls and commentary are also featured in this article.
- R & B's Best Male Groups of All Time
This article desribes the top rhythm and blues groups ever including The Isley Brothers, Boys 2 Men, and The Commodores. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this hub.
- Hip Hop's Top Artists of all Time
This article describes the top Rap artists in history. Dr. Dre, Eminem, P. Diddy and Snoop Dogg, are featured in this music hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are here.
- MTV's Video Music Awards Best Performances of All Time
This article showcases the top musical acts that ever performed during the VMA's. Elton John, Eminem, Madonna and Britney Spears are listed in this hub. Also, pictures and videos accompany this blog.
- Best Male Pop Music Stars of All Time
This article documents the top male pop artists ever. Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown are listed in this article along with pictures, videos and commentary.
Tone Loc: Funky Cold Medina (Video)
Hip Hop began slowly in the late 70s and early 80s but, by the late 80s, it was here to stay. What transpired in this decade, set the stage for the rap explosion of the 1990s. I know some good rap artists were left out but, I named my favorites and the ones that are the most influential to the rap game.
L.L. Cool J: I'm Bad (Video)
Birthplace of the Beastie Boys (Brooklyn, NY)
© 2015 lesliebyars