- Entertainment and Media
How To Be A Great MC, Moderator and Host
An MC / Emcee Has A Big Responsibility
Have you ever been asked to be the MC, and you turned down the opportunity. Or are you getting your feet wet being an MC. Do you want to improve your game as an MC? And are you looking to hire an MC or need one for an upcoming program. MC stands for Mistress or Master of Ceremony. Being an MC is an exciting opportunity and can help you grow and develop as person. It is an opportunity to be a leader, and have fun at the same time. It is also an opportunity to show off your talent and uplift people. Follow me, because I have a surprise for you at the end.
The purpose of this Hub is to provide you with the right tools to be a confident exciting MC that can create a happy outcome for every event you host.
Must Read Hubs
- The Most Common Speeches You Will Ever Give In A Lifetime
Speaking is a part of daily living and survival. Think about how many different kinds of speeches you have heard and or that you delivered. Who were you speaking to and what was their response? I want to...
- Financial Fitness Lessons From a Father
Growing up we did not have a lot of money, but we never went without our needs met. My father worked at the factory, and my mother took care of my three siblings and I. My mom worked odd jobs here and...
The function of an MC is very critical to the flow of the program. You will want to be careful in your selection of this individual. In many cases you will be able to use a friend or family member to fill this role. And there will be times when you want to hire a professional to satisfy this need.
The role of the individual that keeps a program, meeting or party move along smoothly is the MC, Moderator or Host. Since these terms are interchangeable, I will use MC for brevity sake. The function of the MC may include:
- Opening the Program with a greeting
- Calling the order of the Program
- Setting the mood of the Program
- Announcing the Housekeeping matters
- Presenting and Introducing Program Guest
- Observing the audience needs
- Making the attendees feel at home
Types of Programs to MC
Staff Appreciation Events
Over the years, I have been the MC at least fifty times. Never a disappointing program. Being an MC has been my way of having fun and expressing who I am. Those of you who have ever been an MC know what I am talking about. When you put that microphone in hand, your whole world changes. Something comes over you and you feel like you can conquer the world. Your focus is on making the program a success. You take on the burden of making everyone in the audience feel glad that they came.
Seven basic characteristics you must possess to be an excellent MC:
- Excellent Communicator
- Follow Protocol
- Knowledgeable about the event
- High Energy
- Magnetic Personality
All Time Favorite Game Show Hosts – Thetop13.com:
- Richard Dawson, Family Feud
- Bob Barker, The Price Is Right
- Alex Trebek, Jeopardy!
- Gene Rayburn, Match Game
- Chuck Woolery, Love Connection
- Monty Hall, Let’s Make A Deal
- Pat Sajak, Wheel of Fortune
- Groucho Marx, You Bet Your Life
- Peter Marshall, Hollywood Squares
- Dick Clark, The $10,000 Pyramid
- Jack Barry, Twenty One
- Bob Eubanks, The Newlywed Game
- Guy Smiley, Sesame Street
Popular Professional Game Show Hosts Today, MC’s (Short List):
- Tom Bergeron, Dancing With The Stars
- Wayne Brady, Let’s Make A Deal
- Nick Cannon, America’s Got Talent
- Steve Harvey, Family Feud
- Howie Mandel, Deal or No Deal
- Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
- Meredith Vieira, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
Ever thought about being a Professional MC, Game Show Host or Moderator. These professionals usually have a background in Acting, Journalism or Broadcasting. Their lives are filled with acting, reporting, or writing. They love talking and communicating. Much of what they do is impromptu, because you cannot predict what your audience or contestants might do. You have to be quick on your feet and shoot from the hip.
Comedy plays an important part in being an MC too. Notice how the Host always seems to get a laugh out of the audience. They have to be able to make light of blunders and any negative expressions from the guest or the audience. They have full control of what goes on, and have to monitor the goings on on the set.
All-in-All, the MC is a fun person who brings the enthusiasm needed to keep viewers coming back again and again. I hope you will feel more comfortable the next time you are asked to be the MC of a program or the next time you take on this assignment.
VOTE UP IF YOU LIKE THIS HUB & BOOKMARK IT FOR VALUABLE INFO AND MATERIALS