- Entertainment and Media
How to Apply for an ISRC Code Online
What is an ISRC?
An ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) is a code that is used all over the world to identify sound recordings and music videos. Every track should have one ISRC to identify the track on music downloading websites.
The ISRC is embedded into the track's digital fingerprint, which means that even when the track has been altered or renamed, it can be identified.
How to Get an ISRC
You can get an ISRC in two ways:
- You can apply for one on the ISRC website. If you apply online, you will have to pay a $75 registration fee. With this fee, you can obtain up to 100,000 ISR Codes in one year.
- You can hire a ISRC manager, who is licensed to issue ISR Codes. Generally, this is the more expensive way to obtain a code, but the manager may offer other services that could be helpful to someone needing an ISRC. If you would like a list of the licensed managers, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will find all of the instructions on how to apply for an ISRC online including how to register with the ISRC Agency. After paying the fee, you will have to wait seven to ten business days to hear whether your application was accepted.
If you decide to go to a manager to obtain an ISRC, you can also ask them if they copyright material. If so, you can get both done at once. Another benefit to using a manager is that if you are only attempting to get an ISRC for one track, you may not want to pay the $75 registration for the website.
If you don't plan on getting an ISRC for more than one track, it is cheaper to go to a manager. If you plan on making numerous ISRCs, you will save money by registering online.
Applying for an ISRC Code Online
Before you can obtain an ISRC, you must visit the ISRC Website and apply for a registration code. This code will allow you to create 100,000 ISRCs in a year.
Fill out the questions on the application. The first page consists of four, multiple-question answers that determine whether you are qualified to fill out the application (shown above).
If this is your first ISRC, you will see the form shown below.
On the next page, you will need to fill out the contact and organization information. Click on "Same as Registrant Contact Information" to fill the information out faster.
Get your credit card ready for the next page and click "Next".
Fill in your billing information (below) and they will look over and possibly approve your account. When you have been approved, they will send you a registrant code to your email address.
How ISRCs are Made
An ISRC is made up of information about the track. There are four parts to this code, which you will fill out with a simple form when making one on the ISRC website.
An ISRC is made up of the following:
- The first two characters of the country code as identified by the ISRC Agency.
- A part of your registration code.
- The last two digits of the year in which the ISRC was assigned.
- The number of codes you made this year.
An example of an ISRC would be: US-S1Z-09-00001