How to Have a Solo Marathon Movie Night
Do you need plans for the upcoming weekend? Are the kids away at Grandma's for a few days? Is your spouse on a business trip? Are you single, with absolutely nothing to do tonight? Why not have a solo movie marathon night! It's easy, relaxing and loads of fun, and can be done with minimal preparation. Plan your very own solo movie night by using these simple tips.
What is a solo movie marathon night?
A solo movie marathon night is just what it sounds like. It is a night of watching numerous movies, one after the other, probably while munching on snacks and drinking your favorite beverage. It is a great "alone time" activity, especially when you don't have anything else to do, or you are stuck inside for some reason. Things like choosing a theme for the night, or maybe watching a certain movie trilogy, are just two ideas that can make the night even more fun. You can even watch your favorite television series from beginning to end. There are no rules as to what movies to watch, just have fun!
Obscure movie trivia
Did you know that:
- In Some Like it Hot, Tony Curtis could not speak in a high female voice so his lines as a lady were dubbed by an actress.
- During the filming of Jaws, George Lucas stuck his head in the shark prop for fun and got stuck when it was closed.
- Marlon Brando only used cotton in his cheeks when he auditioned for The Godfather. A specially designed mouthpiece was used during filming.
- Cary Grant was older than his on-screen mother in the movie North by Northwest.
- Harrison Ford was originally supposed to have a sword fight with the Arab swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but Mr. Ford had dysentery and did not have the energy, so he shot him instead.
Movie night tips
Once you have a time picked out for your movie marathon, you'll need to keep a few things in mind.
- Have plenty of snacks and beverages - No movie marathon is complete without your favorite snacks and drinks. Have them within reach so you don't have to keep pausing the movie and running to the kitchen for something.
- Make sure you have all the movies you want to watch - Nothing is worse than getting to the third movie in a series only to realize that it's not in the DVD case and cannot be found anywhere.
- Turn off the phone - This is your time. Enjoy it. Don't let phone calls interrupt the fun. If you don't want to turn it off, then just don't answer it, or at least check your caller id before you do.
- Stash the laptop and other devices - It's too tempting to check your email when your laptop is sitting on the sofa next to you. Just keep it in another room. This includes tablets and smartphones too.
- Wear comfortable clothes - Pajamas are perfect for a marathon movie night, but if you don't want to go that far, sweat pants and a t-shirt will do.
- Let friends and family know they shouldn't bother you - This is much easier said than done, but just give them a heads up that you will be busy for the night and not to call unless it's an emergency.
- Choose movies that interest you - You won't last long if the movies you choose are boring to you. If you don't like mysteries then it is probably not a good idea to choose Sherlock Holmes movies.
Movie collection ideas
There are thousands of movies out there, so your movie marathon night can be whatever you want it to be. The movies provided below are just some of the collections available.
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Beverly Hills Cop Collection
The Bourne Trilogy
Austin Powers Collection
The Die Hard Collection
Coen Brothers Collection
James Bond Set
Men in Black Collection
Fast & Furious Collection
Monty Python Collection
Abbott & Costello Collection
Indiana Jones Collection
The Naked Gun Collection
Jurassic Park Collection
The Twilight Saga
Columbo Movie Collection
Star Wars Collection
Dirty Harry Collection
The Man with No Name Trilogy
Planet of the Apes Collection
Billy Jack Collection
Star Trek Movie Collection
Alfred Hitchcock Collection
The Mummy Collection
The Godfather Collection
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Thin Man Movies
The Falcon Movies
Pirates of the Caribbean Collection
The Blade Collection
Charlie Chan Collection
The Matrix Collection
Harry Potter Collection
Movie night themes
If you don't have a collection, or you don't feel like watching one, you can always choose a movie night theme. Here are just a few theme ideas for your next solo movie night.
- Favorite Actor
- Tear jerkers
- Childhood favorites
- Really bad movies
- Raunchy humor
- Science Fiction
Try a solo movie night marathon
The next time you have a free evening why not try a solo movie night marathon. It's fun and easy and you get to see great movies. Add a twist by having a specific theme or pull out some old favorites that you have not seen in a while. You are guaranteed to have a great time!
© 2012 Claudia Mitchell