How to Make it in America Gangnam Style
Unless you have been living under a rock lately, you have probably heard of South Koreas biggest export, 34 year old rapper Psy. For the past 12 years he has been making music and entertaining Koreans with moderate success, until one fateful day in July 2012 when he uploaded a video to YouTube for the song Gangnam Style.
It went viral! It had 500,000 hits the first day, and people were taking notice. At the time of writing it currently has almost 532 million views! That works out to about 61 views per second.
Times weren’t always so good for this Korean sensation. His first album was called The World of Psycho, and he was ordered to pay fines for inappropriate content. At times other albums were banned because they were deemed a negative influence on the younger population. The controversy seemed to continue. Gangnam style is from his sixth album, and is proving to be the turning point for Psy’s career.
He is known for his dance styles and reports to have spent over 30 hours creating this horseback riding move featured in the Gangnam Style video. Psy is well known for giving successful concerts, and has proved his entertainment abilities by all of the recent performances on American television shows such as The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and more recently Dancing with the Stars.
Gangnam is an area in Seoul, South Korea which boasts the most affluent society in the country. Seoul is the capital, and is a very large city with a population of about 10 million people. It is divided by the Han River, and Gangnam is on the south side of the river, one of 25 divisions. It is often compared to Beverley Hills California, as the cost of housing is roughly double other areas, and all of the highest end shops are located on their version of Rodeo Drive.
The Infamous Video that Started it All
Reasons He Succeeded
Reasons he succeeded
1. He speaks English relatively well. He apparently credits Hulk Hogan for this, as he was an avid wrestling fan growing up! He would study top American billboard hits, and learn the lyrics as well. Also he attended Boston University, and later Berklee School of Music.
It is surprising how well the song has done considering the amount of Korean in the lyrics.
2. He developed a quirky dance. Similar to the Chicken Dance, Macarena or other successful moves, he has instantly created a following. Fans are more inclined to watch the video over and over to master his moves!
3. His unique look. He is usually dressed in a suit or tuxedo like costume, which makes him more identifiable. He combines this with his sense of humor to attract and keep his fans.
4. He was picked up by Justin Beiber’s manager Scooter Braun. Enough said!
5. Most importantly he discovered YouTube. The US music industry considers this one of the most influential sites in this age of social media. It can bring success to someone overnight, and it is free! Psy has a new Guinness record for the most likes for his video. He surpassed Justin Beiber and Katy Perry to solidify his presence.
The last three months Psy has seen himself catapult into stardom. Now it will be up to him to do whatever he can to make sure he doesn’t turn into the world’s biggest one-hit wonder!!
Which Top List Will This Song End Up On?
- 10 Worst Songs of All Time
Psy sure hopes it doesn't make it onto this list of the top 10 Worst Songs of All Time! Check it out and see if you agree with the picks.