- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
The Rules of Movie World
It’s not difficult to tell that movies can be somewhat…formulaic. Certain rules and convenient situations tend to pop up in films in familiar yet comfortable ways, whether it be to tie a story neatly together or just to keep a story from becoming too similar to a real life situation. Below are some familiar scenes that have been popping up in films throughout the years.
1. Phone numbers begin with “555”.
2. Animals understand what characters are saying and follow orders to help them out of a jamb.
3. Characters can faint without getting hurt or feeling woozy afterwards.
4. They have chance encounters with other characters at opportune moments.
5. When they're fired from their job, they collect their belongings in a box before shuffling out the door.
Clip from 'Bruce Almighty'
6. They spill or drop their (usually glass or breakable) drink when they hear bad news.
Clip from 'E.T.': Mom Spills Her Drink
7. Musical numbers are executed perfectly without rehearsal, often in public with total strangers.
8. Bed sheets make a strong, solid escape rope.
9. Women gain superhero strength while in labor.
10. Heroes can disarm a bomb with just a few seconds remaining.
'Rush Hour' Disarming the Bomb
11. Characters can survive a large explosion uninjured.
12. A hero can pull someone who is hanging off of something high to safety without dislocating both characters' arms.
13. Good guys don’t get hit by flying bullets, especially in the middle of the movie.
14. Calling someone a “chicken” will get them to do whatever the name caller wants.
15. To void a contract, a character will tear it up.
16. Important news stories are viewed from multiple TV’s in a store window.
If you know of any other “movie rules,” please leave them in the comments below, and I’ll add them to the list.