Indominus Rex: a Modern Chimera
A New Attraction
In 1993 Jurassic Park introduced viewers to John Hammond's theme park filled with resurrected dinosaurs. The movie ended with John Hammond deeming the park too dangerous for regular people and promptly shut it down. In 2015 Jurassic World will show a more completed version of the park. So complete in fact that regular people actually had access to the park. But while the park itself was a success, scientists have attempted to make something more extravagant. Jurassic World recently revealed its new attraction for visitors of the park. Named Indominus Rex, its name means Fierce or Untamable King. Which makes sense since the trailers have shown that this creature would be the main antagonist of the Jurassic World movie. A genetically engineered creature made by Hammond Creation Lab, Indominus Rex used aspects of dinosaurs like the abelisaurs Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus, Rugops, and the carcharodontosaurid Giganotosaurus, which made for a very scary dinosaur. And as the main antagonist of Jurassic World, Indominus Rex was shown to be both scary and very intelligent. And since it was comprise mostly of predators, there would most likely be butchered carcasses left in its wake. While Jurassic World will most likely portray Indominus Rex as some superior predator, its components were, individually, very different. While all of them were predators, abelisaurs were not as physically imposing compared to most predatory dinosaurs, whereas giganotosaurus was interesting in that it was even larger than Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- As revealed in the trailers, Indominus Rex was the result of genetically engineering the DNA of various dinosaurs, primarily the predatory specimens. Made by Hammond Creation Lab under the orders of the Masrani Global Corporation; it was meant to be a thrilling attraction of the Jurassic World theme park, but the usual problem in the Jurassic Park universe of the dangerous dinosaur escaping and wreaking havoc for the rest of the movie occurs. With a name that translated to Fierce or Untamable King, this was to be expected.
- During the Jurassic World trailer, several characters were aware of the danger of making a dinosaur that combined the best aspects of several dinosaurs and making it a predator. Being a predator, one of the things that Indominus Rex did was start murdering the dinosaurs and possibly some humans in the theme park. The Jurassic World trailer also implied that Indominus Rex was frighteningly intelligent. So much so that character have noted that it was killing for sport, rather than survival.
- With its escape from the park, the people in-charge of the Jurassic World theme park were forced to find a way to stop this creature. The Jurassic World trailer implied that stopping this creature would be easier said than done. Experienced dinosaur handlers seemed to run from Indominus Rex rather than face it, using helicopter and projectile weaponry did not look to successfully bring this creature down, and vehicles that were meant to protect people from the dinosaurs looked to be completely ineffective against Indominus Rex.
- Jurassic World also suggested in its trailer that the higher-ups of the theme park may resort to using the other predators as a way to track and possibly hunt for Indominus Rex.
Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus, Rugops
- Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus, and Rugops belonged to the the group of dinosaurs referred to as abelisaurs. This group was around during the middle of the Jurassic period, until finally going extinct during the late Cretaceous period. While their teeth and long legs suggested that they were predators like most of the therapods in prehistoric times who could chase after their meals, their tiny arms, too small to use like regular hands, suggested that it may have been a species of dinosaur that lived a scavenger lifestyle and that the hands were just used for balance.
- Compared to other predators like Tyrannosaurus Rex, the abelisaurs were not as physically imposing as predators. But the abelisaurs did possess their own attributes that made them unique compared to Tyrannosaurus Rex. Carnotaurus had two horn coming out of its face, Majungasaurus possessed one horn, but fossilized evidenced implied that it had cannibalistic tendencies, Rugops, the most recent discovery, proved that the are it lived in was still part of a super-continent.
- All three species possessed armored backsides that had scutes embedded on the skin. Scientists hypothesized that this was used for protection. Since Indominus Rex looked to possess similar scutes on its back, it will most likely have armor for that area of its body. Which meant that the backside will most likely be impervious to certain projectiles like tranquilizer rounds or bullets.
- Indominus Rex also looked to possess Majungasaurus's head structure, like a horn. This, and the fact that it was made with the DNA of several dinosaur species suggests that technically, it was a cannibal or possessed cannibalistic tendencies.
- In the Disney movie Dinosaur Carnotaurus was the main villain. Realistically, Carnotaurus was not as big as this movie made them. But since only the DNA of a Carnotaurus was used to make Indominus Rex in Jurassic World, Indominus Rex may act like the Carnotaurus in this video, just with more blood.
- Giganotosaurus was a member of the carcharodontosaurid family. Basically these were members who were larger than Tyrannosaurus Rex. While Tyrannosaurus Rex had larger teeth, the members of the carcharodontosaurid family, like Giganotosaurus, rivaled Tyrannosaurus Rex in size, and in Giganotosaurus's case, had arms that looked like they could actually be useful for holding onto prey.
- It has been implied by archaeological discoveries that Giganotosaurus may have ate Argentinosaurus as a part of its diet. Argentinosaurus, a sauropod, was one of the largest sauropods to be discovered. It has been hypothesized that Giganotosaurus was a pack hunter if it did manage to hunt Argentinosaurus. This could explain why Indominus Rex gained Giganotosaurus's body structure, to emphasize its strength and supposed superiority over other dinosaurs in the theme park. Its supposed ability to be a pack hunter also implied high intelligence. Which would explain why Indominus Rex was portrayed as a super-smart predator.
- Combined with the legs of an abelisaur, Indominus Rex would ultimately become a huge, smart, and fast super-predator that Masrani Global Corporation helped to create.
Jurassic World created Indominus Rex to be a major source of income for the theme park. However, in typical Jurassic Park fashion, Indominus Rex proved to be more trouble than it was worth. Especially when the movie trailer showed the damage it could do. Being the genetic combination of dinosaurs that could move fast, were equal or larger than Tyrannosaurus Rex in size, and had the potential to hunt and kill things even bigger than itself made for a deadly combination.