Jack Bauer Of TV Series 24
Do you remember Jack Bauer the star from the famous Fox television series 24? I guess you do! Anyone who knows the television show 24 knows Jack Bauer. And everyone who loves the show loves Jack. Being a great fan of the show myself, I have decided to make a list of some of the most interesting facts about Jack Bauer that will leave readers amazed.
What we know about Jack Bauer
We know that Jack Bauer was portrayed by actor Kiefer Sutherland and that Jack is the hero of 24. We know Jack is a very brave agent who helped in preventing many terrorist attacks on the United States. We know Jack has a daughter named Kim Bauer and that he lost his wife (Kim’s mother) in Season 1.
These things we all know about Jack Bauer, but believe it or not, there are so many other things about Jack that many of us don’t know.
If you are ready to know more about one of the most famous TV heroes of all time, then I recommend you fasten your seatbelts as we delve into the amazing life of Jack Bauer.
Things you never knew about Jack Bauer
- Jack was born in Santa Monica, California. According to the creators of 24, Jack was born on February 18, 1966.
- Jack attended the University of California, Los Angeles where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature. It’s ironic when you think of the fact that a tough guy like Jack actually has a degree in English Literature. Jack went on to attend the University of California, Berkeley where he got a Master of Science degree in Criminology and Law.
- Jack’s mother was never known in the show. However, his father was revealed to be a man named Philip Bauer who was a businessman. Philip owned a company named BXJ Technologies and devoted all his time and resources into ensuring the success of the company.
- Philip wanted to give his company to his son Jack but Jack wasn’t interested in running a business. His passion was to join the U.S. Army and serve his country. He therefore didn’t accept his father’s company and joined the army soon after school.
- Jack had only one sibling named Graem Bauer. Although Graem was introduced in Season 5 of the show, fans weren’t made to know that Graem was Jack’s brother until Season 6. Many fans were shocked to know this.
- Jack was never close to his father Philip Bauer and his brother Graem Bauer.
- While serving in the U.S. Army, Jack married Terri Bauer and they had one child together, Kim Bauer.
- Jack served in the U.S. Army for 15 years before leaving with the rank of Captain.
Places Jack Bauer worked before joining Counter Terrorist Unit
- After leaving the army, Jack went back to California where he worked for some time as a specialist in the Special Weapons and Tactics unit of the Los Angeles Police Department.
- Jack later worked with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Jack joined the Los Angeles Counter Terrorist Unit thanks to CTU’s then-director Christopher Henderson who recruited him after seeing his great potentials. Interestingly, Henderson later became Jack’s bitter enemy. I guess every reader who has watched the Season 5 of the show knows how the enmity between Jack and Henderson started.
Languages Jack Bauer speaks
Besides his mother tongue English, Jack speaks other languages. Below are the languages that Jack either speaks fluently or passably:
- German (Jack is very fluent in German)
Other fun facts about Jack Bauer
- Jack has a high threshold for pain and torture. He has been tortured on a number of occasions and on each occasion showed extremely high resistance to the pains inflicted on him. For example, he was kidnapped by a group of Chinese agents and tortured for about two years. And despite undergoing all forms of severe and barbaric torture in the hands of the Chinese, Jack never said a word. This shows how high his threshold for pain and torture is.
- Jack is prevented from having a normal life simply because of his passion to serve his country.
- Jack has spent his entire career protecting the lives of Americans and has lost many of his loved ones in the cause of doing that. Despite all the sacrifices Jack makes for his country, his efforts sadly go unappreciated by his colleagues, his superiors, and the government.
- Jack is good at using torture to get information from people (terrorists).
- Throughout the entire show, Jack has been in a relationship with nine different women besides his wife Teri Bauer. Unfortunately for Jack, he lost all the women in his life because of his work and his commitments to his country. The women in Jack’s life besides his deceased wife Terri Bauer were: Marilyn Bauer, Nina Myers, Claudia Hernandez, Kate Warner, Audrey Raines, Sofiya, Trinetta Anderson, and Renee Walker.
- All the women Jack was in a relationship in throughout the show eventually died with the exception of Sofiya, Kate Warner and Marilyn Bauer (she eventually married Jack's brother).
- Jack would have had a romantic relationship with his landlord Diane Huxley had he not still been in love with Audrey.
- Jack is the only character to have appeared on all 204 episodes of 24.
- Jack has been ranked by many publications as one of the coolest television heroes of all time. Jack was also placed at the number one position of Sky 1’s “TV’s toughest men”.
- Jack’s most trusted colleague at CTU Los Angeles is Chloe O’Brian. Jack doesn’t trust anyone as much as he trusts Chloe. He even trusts her with his life.
- Because of the extremely dangerous and complex nature of Jack’s work and his commitment to his country, Jack doesn’t have a lot of close friends. But he considers Chloe O’Brian his best friend.
- Jack rarely smiles or laughs!
- Jack is really good at killing. He won’t hesitate killing a hostile – especially in cases where the hostile gives him a reason to. He was once described as a “natural born killer”. He has killed over 300 people (mainly terrorists or people who threatened his life and that of his loved ones).
- Many of Jack’s colleagues don’t agree with his unconventional methods but trust his judgments and trust him to get the job done. For example, in Season 5 of the show, Bill Buchanan told Karen Hayes of Homeland Security that “I don’t always agree with his methods but I trust his judgments”.
- Jack is always willing to sacrifice his life for the safety of the country. Interestingly, on each occasion he tried sacrificing his life, something came up and saved him.
- Jack is vengeful. He is especially vengeful when you harm his friends and family. For example, in Season 5 Jack took his revenge on Christopher Henderson for killing his friends President Palmer, Michelle Desler and Tony Almeida. Before shooting Henderson, Jack said these exact words: “You were responsible for the deaths of President Palmer, Michelle Desler and Tony Almeida. They were friends of mine”.
- Jack has a grandchild named Teri.
Do you know of any other interesting facts about Jack Bauer that I haven't mentioned above? If you do, then please don't hesitate sharing them with us.