- Entertainment and Media»
Jeff Bridges Movies
Jeff Bridges, Movie Star, Producer and Artist
Jeff Bridges was born in 1949 to Hollywood legend Lloyd Bridges and his wife, Dorothy Dean Bridges.
He and his big brother, Beau Bridges, both made appearances in their father's popular TV show, "Sea Hunt", as children. After some trouble in his teens, Jeff Bridges' movie career got started with small roles in minor films. He was careful to avoid charges of nepotism because of his famous parents, and that drove him to hone his acting skills at an early age.
Jeff Bridges' movie career took off after he landed a part in 1971's "The Last Picture Show", and he got off to a great start with an Oscar nomination for his role.
Jeff Bridges Movies
Over the next 40 years Jeff Bridges turned in one compelling performance after another, but it wasn't until 2010 that he finally won his first Oscar (after 5 nominations) for his portrayal of an alcoholic has-been country singer in "Crazy Heart". The following year saw him turn in a tour-de-force performance as Rooster Cogburn in the Coen borthers' adaptation of the classic "True Grit", for which he received his sixth Academy Award nomination.
Jeff Bridges has maintained his authenticity throughout his long career, and has also won acclaim as an artist and photographer. His personal website, jeffbridges.com, highlights his artwork and is highly recommended for fans of the actor and artist!
Jeff Bridges Movies List
True Grit (2010)
Jeff Bridges reunites with the Coen brothers for "True Grit" - not a remake of the 1969 film that won John Wayne an Academy Award, but a new adaptation of the classic novel by Charles Portis. It is the story of a young girl (played by 14-year-old Oscar-nominee Hailee Steinfeld) who hires Rooster Cogburn, a grizzled U.S. Marshall with "true grit", to track down the man who killed her father.
With 10 Academy Award nominations, including Best Actor and Best Picture, "True Grit" is the most-nominated Western since Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" in 1992.
"True Grit" Movie Trailer
The Big Lebowski (1998)
In his first collaboration with the Coen brothers, Jeff Bridges stars as the Dude in "The Big Lebowski". This Jeff Bridges movie has achieved cult status, and is more popular now than it was when it was released more than 10 years ago. With Lebowski conventions and fan-made merchandise available online - and even in Lebowski-themed retail shops - there seems to be no stopping its roll into legendary status.
- When Jeff Bridges won the Independent Spirit Award for his role in "Crazy Heart", he said in his acceptance speech that the award would "really tie the room together"!
The Dude Abides...
Buy "Iron Man" on Blu-ray, DVD & On-Demand
Iron Man (2008)
Jeff Bridges makes a rare and wonderful turn as the bad guy in "Iron Man", starring opposite Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark. Jeff Bridges plays nasty corporate executive Obadiah Stane, who steals Stark's suit design and tries to use it as a weapon to defeat Iron Man. Stane wants to weapon-ize the Iron Man technology, but Stark wants to use it to fight the forces of evil...
- When Pepper Potts is going through Obediah Stane's computer, careful viewers will see files labeled "missiles transported via the MSC Lebowski" and "legal ownership of marmots within city limits" - both references to "The Big Lebowski"!
Crazy Heart (2009)
Jeff Bridges won his first Oscar (and loads of other awards) for his lead role as a washed up country singer in "Crazy Heart". Bridges plays the alcoholic has-been singer "Bad Blake", who travels around the country scraping together a living playing at honky-tonks and bowling alleys. When he meets a charming your reporter and develops a bond with her and her young son, he's inspired to get his life together. But can he overcome his troubles and regain the success - and the girl - before it's too late?
- Jeff Bridges collaborated with producer T Bone Burnett for the music in the film, and following its release Bridges produced his own album went on tour with it around the country!
Jeff Bridges Accepts the Independent Spirit Award for "Crazy Heart"
In 1982, filmmaker John Carpenter made a remake of "The Thing"; the movie was released across America the same week as "E.T.", and it was excoriated in the media as "gore porn". Carpenter was lambasted for ruining American culture, and as a meal culpa of sorts, he made "Starman" two years later.
Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen star in this tale of an alien who crash-lands on Earth and takes on the form of a dead man. The body Jeff Bridges chooses to inhabit is that of Karen Allen's late husband, and together the two of them have to out-run the authorities and get him back to his own planet before they capture him!
"Starman" Movie Trailer
Buy "The Last Picture Show" on DVD & On-Demand
The Last Picture Show (1971)
In his first movie role, Jeff Bridges plays a not-very-likable lughead in Peter Bogdonavich's coming of age classic, "The Last Picture Show".
Jeff Bridges received his first Oscar nomination for his role as Duane, and he co-stars with Timothy Bottoms, Cybill Shepherd, Ellen Burstyn and Cloris Leachman, who won an Oscar for her portrayal of the "older woman".
"The Last Picture Show" Movie Trailer
The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
The Jeff Bridges movie "The Fabulous Baker Boys" sees real-life brothers Jeff and Beau Bridges play Jack and Frank baker, a traveling musical act that needs a female singer to keep the bookings coming. When Michelle Pfeiffer's escort-turned-ingénue joins the act, she forces the Baker brothers to confront the reality of their relationship.
- During filming of the movie, Jeff Bridges was so deep in character that he severely injured his brother Beau's fingers during a fight scene where Jack threatens to break his brother's hand; Beau Bridges had to be rushed to the hospital as soon as the scene was finished!
"TRON" on DVD
Disney's "Tron" was one of the first movies to feature computer-generated special effects. Jeff Bridges plays a computer programmer who becomes trapped inside the machine and must fight the forces of evil to free his fellow "programs" from the captivity of the evil Master Control.
- The film's effects were ground-breaking in 1982, but rumor has it that Disney actually pulled all existing copies of "Tron" from stores in anticipation of the 2010 release of the sequel, "Tron: Legacy". They supposedly feared that movie-goers would be turned-off of the sequel if they saw how comparatively terrible the film looks today!
The Fisher King (1991)
Terry Gilliam directs Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges in a modern-day fairytale in "The Fisher King". Jeff Bridges plays radio shock-jock Jack Lucas, whose on-air rant leads a madmen to go on a shooting rampage in New York City. Despondent, Lucas befriends Perry, a homeless and somewhat-unhinged man in search of The Holy Grail. The two men relearn the power of love and friendship in their quest for redemption.
- Mercedes Reuhl received critical acclaim for her supporting role in the movie, and she won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Jeff Bridges' strong-willed girlfriend.
"The Fisher King" Movie Trailer
"The Men Who Stare At Goats" on DVD & Blu-ray
The Men Who Stare At Goats (2009)
What would happen if the Dude was placed in charge of a U.S. Army program that recruited psychic soldiers? That's pretty much what happens in "The Men Who Stare at Goats", based on a real-life Army program that has been training "psychic soldiers" since the 1970s. The film stars George Clooney and Ewan McGregor, and Jeff Bridges gives a great performance as the hippie-turned-Army-General who guides the psychic soldier program...
- Ewan McGregor stars as the reporter who uncovers the secret Army program; the psychic soldiers call themselves "Jedis" throughout the movie. McGregor plays Jedi-master Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels, so hearing him talk continuously about the Jedi is a little surreal!
The Contender (2000)
Jeff Bridges received his fourth Academy Award nomination for portraying the President of the United States in "The Contender". The Vice President has died, and in an effort to leave a legacy, the President decides to appoint a female Senator to take the job and become the first woman to do so. But there may be some sexual skeletons in her closet, and the President has to decide whether to support his V.P. choice and make history, or play politics and distance himself from her.
"The Contender" Movie Trailer
"Tucker - The Man and His Dream" on DVD and On-Demand
Tucker - The Man and His Dream (1988)
In Francis Ford Coppola's "Tucker", Jeff Bridges plays _ Tucker, a car-maker who was ahead of his time. Tucker envisioned a car company that made cars with features that not only made them safer, but which the public actually wanted. Tucker was driven out of business by the Big Three auto-makers in the 1950s, and this Jeff Bridges movie tells the inspiring tale of a man who never gave up on his dreams...
- Preston Tucker's innovative concepts included seat-belts as standard equipment and even a center-mounted front headlight that followed the car's movement around corners (a feature that has only recently been implemented in high-end vehicles).