Johnny Depp born to play Tonto in The Lone Ranger
Johnny cowboys and indians
It's easy to see how heartbreakingly gorgeous Johnny Depp is, and knowing his heritage, it only fits that he plays Tonto.
Even thought The Lone Ranger has been through movie-hell, it's beginning to feel like things are looking up for this funny western, due out summer 2013.
I think it's a perfect match for Johnny's quick wit, saying so much with just a few words, and with his amazing talent, playing The Lone Ranger's Kemo Sabe, will be a cinch for him.
Johnny is a natural for this one, and with his Native American (Cherokee/Navajo) heritage, I'm sure it will only add to Tonto's authenticity, but I'm sure we can expect a little eccentricity added for good measure. I for one, can hardly wait for this to be brought to the silver screen.
Johnny chose a tribe to live with to prepare for Tonto, (just like he lived with Hunter S Thompson to prepare for his Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas role....).
The film stars Johnny Depp as Tonto, a Native American warriro and Armie Hammer as John Reid. The two work together in a fight against corruption and greed.
"The Lone Ranger" brings reunites Depp with Verbinski, after the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer is also working on this project.
Fictional vigilante "The Lone Ranger" first appeared in US radio in the 1930s. The character appeared in television series The Lone Ranger from 1949-1957, and has been the protagonist in a handful films, including 1981's poorly received The Legend of the Lone Ranger.
SEE videos and slideshow of Johnny Depp as he chats with fans for The Lone Ranger Q&A at CinemaCon in Vegas here.
Depp revealed origins of Tonto makeup, and being “full blooded Comanche”. Johnny Depp was even adopted into the Comanche Nation, and in their language, Johnny's name means 'shapeshifter'. In honoring the Native American, Johnny has also agreed to be the spokesperson for teen suicide prevention in Navajo and bring light to how issues of stereotyping are real and incredibly problematic.
Depp's maternal great-grandmother, Minnie, was a full-blooded Cherokee and Depp also has Cherokee and Navajo ancestry on his father's side see (Cherokee maternal grandfather according to Depp himself)
Greg Dean Schmitz from Rotton Tomatoes had this to say,
"Soon after news broke, AICN received a tip about who might be starring with Depp as the title character: George Clooney. If that's true, this movie just jumped up highly on my anticipation scale, because both Clooney and Depp are funny, charismatic screen presences, and the two of them as one of the most classic movie pairs ever, could actually be a really entertaining thing to watch.
I agree with Greg wholeheartedly and can not wait for this one...
UPDATE: Armie Hammer playing The Lone Ranger, and looks like he'll make a good one.
The Lone Ranger finally finished went through the ringer and many thought that it might never make it to the silver screen after drowning in development hell from the Weinstein Co. being interested in purchasing rights from Classic Media in Jan. 2007 and ultimately falling through, and later Classic Media's parent company Entertainment Rights optioned it, then Jerry Bruckheimer (w/ Entertainment Rights) set The Lone Ranger up at Walt Disney Pictures while Terry Russio and Ted Elliot (worked on Pirates of the Caribbean series) are supposedly writing the script in May of 2007.
Then, Disney announced in September of 2008 that everyone's favorite pirate would be playing the part of Tonto (who played the sagacious though laconic Native American sidekick we all remember calling his friend the Lone Ranger, "Kemo Sabe" , which translates to "trusty scout". When asked about it, Johnny said he never understood why Tonto was the sidekick.
Disney's production would not be without coincidence. When Walt Disney built the Disneyland Hotel, the owner of the rights to The Lone Ranger franchise was the Wrather Corporation, and was coincidentally the hotel's actual owner. The Disney Corporation eventually bought the hotel from Wrather but the hotel's steakhouse continued to carry Bonita Granville Wrather's name for many years afterward.
Johnny chose a tribe to live with to prepare for the role:
A source tells UGO News, "Johnny has identified a tribe and wants to live with them as part of his preparation for the movie. He wants to depict Tonto as a true Indian and not a cliché from an old Western.
Johnny was even adopted into Native American Comanche Nation tribe.
All I can say is it wouldn't matter what Johnny decided to be in...I would go see it!
Will you go to the theater to see The Lone Ranger?
IMDB Filmography for Johnny Depp
- Wild Roses, Tender Roses
- My American Lover
- Affected Provincial's Companion (details only on IMDbPro)
- Inamorata (details only on IMDbPro)
- Rex Mundi (details only on IMDbPro)
- The People's Act of Love (details only on IMDbPro)
- The Lone Ranger (details only on IMDbPro)
- In the Hand of Dante (details only on IMDbPro)
- The Incredible Mr. Limpet (details only on IMDbPro)
- Happy Days (details only on IMDbPro)
- Shantaram (details only on IMDbPro)
- Dark Shadows (details only on IMDbPro)
- Dali (details only on IMDbPro)
- In Production
- Sin City 3 (2012) (in production) (rumored) .... Wallace
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2012) (pre-production) (rumored)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) (pre-production) ....
- Rango (2011) (post-production) (voice) .... Rango
- The Tourist (2011) (post-production) .... Frank Taylor
- The Rum Diary (2010) (post-production) .... Paul Kemp
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) .... Mad Hatter
... aka "Alice in Wonderland: An IMAX 3D Experience" - USA (IMAX version)
- Public Enemies (2009) .... John Dillinger
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) .... Imaginarium Tony 1
- "SpongeBob SquarePants" .... Jack Kahuna Laguna (1 episode, 2009)
... aka "SpongeBob" - USA (short title)
- SpongeBob vs. the Big One (2009) TV episode (voice) .... Jack Kahuna Laguna
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) .... Sweeney Todd
... aka "Sweeney Todd" - USA (short title)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) .... Jack Sparrow
... aka "P.O.T.C. 3" - USA (promotional abbreviation)
... aka "Pirates 3" - USA (informal short title)
... aka "Pirates of Caribbean: World End" - Japan (English title)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) .... Jack Sparrow
... aka "P.O.T.C. 2" - USA (promotional abbreviation)
... aka "Pirates 2" - USA (informal short title)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (2006) (VG) (voice) .... Jack Sparrow
- Corpse Bride (2005) (voice) .... Victor Van Dort
... aka "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" - Singapore (English title), USA (complete title)
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) .... Willy Wonka
... aka "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience" - USA (IMAX version)
- The Libertine (2004) .... Rochester
- Finding Neverland (2004) .... Sir James Matthew Barrie
- Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants (2004) .... L'inconnu
... aka "...And They Lived Happily Ever After" - International (English title)
... aka "Happily Ever After" - USA (DVD title)
- "King of the Hill" .... Yogi Victor (1 episode, 2004)
- Hank's Back (2004) TV episode (voice) .... Yogi Victor
- Secret Window (2004) .... Mort Rainey
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003) .... Sands
... aka "Legend of Mexico" - Japan (English title)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) .... Jack Sparrow
... aka "P.O.T.C." - USA (promotional abbreviation)
- From Hell (2001) .... Inspector Frederick Abberline
- Blow (2001) .... George Jung
- "The Fast Show" .... Customer in suit store (1 episode, 2000)
... aka "Brilliant!" - USA (cable TV title)
- The Last Ever Fast Show (2000) TV episode .... Customer in suit store
- Chocolat (2000) .... Roux
- Before Night Falls (2000) .... Bon Bon / Lieutenant Victor
... aka "Antes que anochezca" - USA (Spanish title)
- The Man Who Cried (2000) .... Cesar
- Sleepy Hollow (1999) .... Ichabod Crane
- The Astronaut's Wife (1999) .... Commander Spencer Armacost
... aka "Noise" - Japan (English title)
- The Ninth Gate (1999) .... Dean Corso
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) .... Raoul Duke
- The Brave (1997) .... Raphael
- Donnie Brasco (1997) .... Donnie Brasco / Joseph D. 'Joe' Pistone
... aka "Fake" - Japan (English title)
- Nick of Time (1995) .... Gene Watson
- Dead Man (1995) .... William Blake
... aka "Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man" - USA (complete title)
- Don Juan DeMarco (1994) .... Don Juan
- Ed Wood (1994) .... Ed Wood
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) .... Gilbert Grape
- Benny & Joon (1993) .... Sam
- Arizona Dream (1993) .... Axel Blackmar
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) (as Oprah Noodlemantra) .... Guy on TV
- Edward Scissorhands (1990) .... Edward Scissorhands
- "21 Jump Street" .... Officer Tom Hanson (71 episodes, 1987-1990)
- Blackout (1990) TV episode .... Officer Tom Hanson
- How I Saved the Senator (1990) TV episode .... Officer Tom Hanson
- Last Chance High (1990) TV episode .... Officer Tom Hanson
- La Bizca (1990) TV episode .... Officer Tom Hanson
- Awomp-Bomp-Aloobomb, Aloop Bamboom (1990) TV episode .... Officer Tom Hanson
- Cry-Baby (1990) .... Cry-Baby
- "Hotel" .... Rob Cameron (1 episode, 1987)
- Unfinished Business (1987) TV episode .... Rob Cameron
- Platoon (1986) .... Lerner
- Slow Burn (1986) (TV) .... Donnie Fleischer
- "Lady Blue" .... Lionel Viland (1 episode, 1985)
- Beasts of Prey (1985) TV episode .... Lionel Viland
- Private Resort (1985) .... Jack
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) .... Glen Lantz