- Entertainment and Media»
- Performing Arts
Kierra Sheard Debuts As A New Judge On 'Sunday Best' Premiere 2014
Kierra Sheard is the youngest gospel-recording artist added to the roster for Sunday Best 2014. Kirk Franklin is the announcer of the show, and it is now in the seventh season. Kierra “KiKi” Sheard, 27, adds a youthful, unique flavor to the show that sets her apart from the seasoned judges. The duo sisters, Mary Mary, Ericka and Tina Campbell are no longer with Sunday Best. Kim Burrell, 41, another powerhouse gospel jazz singer, is now a judge as well. Burrell came on as the Sunday Best mentor last season. Please read on and find out how Kierra handles a repeat contestant who’s not quite there yet.
Returning judges, Donnie McClurkin, 54 and Yolanda Adams, 52, still remain as judges. Former judges for Sunday Best have been Bebe and CeCe Winans. Cece and husband, Alvin Love, are now pastors of a church in North Carolina.
More About Kierra. Kierra Sheard is the daughter of Bishop J. Drew Sheard and Karen Clark Sheard of the famous Clark Sisters. Kierra is bold, courageous and extremely confident in her approach to judging contestants.
Kierra Responds to Contestant Dennis Brigham
Kierra Compliments Contestants
During the premiere of Sunday Best, Kierra complimented contestants on their clothing, attractive looks and even their skin. For one contestant, she told him how she liked his shoes. Another contestant she told him how cute he was and another contestant she told how nice her skin was.
Not only does the young judge compliment contestants, she also provides sound feedback to them. Many times, the experienced judges allowed Kierra to go first at providing critique to the contestants. I don’t know if this was planned, but it seemed to work out. The seasoned judges would chime in before a final decision was made.
Kierra Caught In The Middle
Dennis Bringham came back once again to face the judges singing, “I Will Trust In The Lord,” and did not receive a warm welcome from two of the Judges. As soon as the contestant finished singing, Kierra chimed in and told him that she loved his spirit and he is so sweet, but that he needed more work. While Kierra was delivering her critique, judges, Donnie and Kim were laughing and joking amongst themselves. The contestant, Dennis Brigham, become irate and told the two that they were disrespectful, but that he loves Kierra Sheard….then he walked off the set. The look on Kierra's face is priceless. Please watch the video.
Kirk Franklin Travels To Various Cities To Find Contestants for Sunday Best
Kirk Franklin travels from major city to major city, trying to find the next Sunday Best winner for season seven. Atlanta, GA and Memphis, TN, are a couple cities the crew travels to. Thousands of contestants stand in line waiting to be heard for the first time by Kirk Franklin and the judges.
Responsibility of the Judges
- Listen carefully to each singer. Professional accomplished singers know a contestant that has potential. Good singers have a good ear to listen. The judges listen for various sounds: quality, words and anointing are a few of the most important measures.
- Learn about the contestant. Judges learn the name, hometown and any unique qualities the contestant might have. Kierra learns about contestants through their dress. She is a diva herself, and loves fashion. And if your dress code is up to par, she will express that to you in her feedback.
- Critique contestants. In observation, critique is usually given to contestants who have potential, but do not make the cut, and to contestants who do make the cut and are moving on to the next level.
- Vote “Yes” or “No.” Voting is the final obligation of the judges. Kierra was quick to vote initially, and then she kind of backed down. Donnie didn't readily agree with Kierra’s “yeses,” he quickly voiced his disagreement with Kierra a number of times, but she handled his opposition well. Donnie McClurkin is a tough judge. There are two choices for contestants: stay or leave. Most contestants get voted out because they don’t qualify to move forward to the top 20. As the weeks go on, the show eliminates contestants every week to the finale.
Are You A Fan of Kierra Sheard
- 9-Year-Old Kierra Sheard Sings Gospel With Her Mothe...
Kierra "KiKi" starting singing at age 9 and she is a gospel singer from Detroit, Michigan.
Kierra’s Latest Ventures
- Sheer Stockings. Kierra has a line of stockings called “Sheers by Sheard.” The launch for the sheers was held at a Walgreen’s in Chicago this past June.
- Album. Graceland is set to be released in July 2014. The album cover has already been released. You can pre-order now, and be first to get her new album.
- BRL. Bold Right Life is an initiative that Kierra launched to encourage young people to live a life for Christ. The BLR event is held at Greater Emmanuel Institutional Church of God In Christ in Detroit, MI every year during the summer.
- “Juanita’s Music For The Cure.” A Sickle Cell Benefits Concert held in January of 2014.
- BET Honor. Female vocalist of the year in 2013.
- Marital Status: Single. Kierra travels a lot, according to her website, she has events planned through November of this year.
Sunday Best has a mixed bag of contestants for the top 20; different ages, different races (not just African American) and various backgrounds. Many of the top 20 explain that they have been singing for many many years. Just want to point out that Deangelo Gardner made his case and won the judges over to go to the next level. Deangelo is from Detroit, MI.
Do you watch Sunday Best?