Awesome Fingerstyle Guitar Songs to Learn!
I have always been captivated by music, but one of my favorite things in life is the simple, wondrous ability for an instrument to tell a story and sing a melody without words. For that reason, perhaps, I have always held a soft spot for finger style guitar.
Many beginner, intermediate, and even more experienced players struggle with finding new songs that are fun to play, have distinctive melodies, and are ones they can easily recognize. While searching for new songs to play myself, I stumbled upon a few jewels and classics that will get anyone picking along:
- Hit the Road Jack by Ray Charles
- California Dreamin' by the Mamas & the Papas
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
- Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers
- The Girl from Ipanema by Antônio Carlos Jobim
- For more advanced players, try your hand at Jerry's Breakdown by Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed
- And finally, a fun tune for any player, the intro to The Final Countdown by Europe
Rate yourself! What is your guitar playing skill?
Now how to learn these songs?
Trying to fingerpick these songs by ear is a great exercise, but if you're looking for something a bit quicker and easier, I recommend using none other then YouTube.
There are awesome free tutorials and tab for all of these songs listed above by a channel called LickNRiff. His tutorial for Hit the Road Jack is shown below, but explore his channel a little and you will find many more great fingerstyle songs with easy to follow lessons from the blues to popular theme songs.