- Entertainment and Media
MAMA is one of the best horror movies ever
Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) - Annabel
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - Lucas / Jeffrey
Megan Charpentier - Victoria
Isabelle Nélisse - Lilly
Daniel Kash - Dr. Dreyfuss
Javier Botet - Mama
Directed by Andres Muschietti
Produced by Guillermo del Toro
The Official Trailer
A distraught father, Jeffrey, has murdered his estranged wife and is driving dangerously fast on a snowy road while his young daughters sit in the back, frightened by their father's erratic behavior. The car slides off the road and crashes into some trees, with all 3 of the occupants surviving.
Jeffrey leads his children into the woods and spots an abandoned cabin. Frantic, he decides that he will commit suicide after taking his daughter's lives. Just as he is about to shoot his older daughter in the head, a shadowy figure grabs him from behind and snaps his neck. This leaves the two little girls, Lilly at age 1 and Victoria at age 3, alone in the woods with no one but themselves and the mysterious figure in the cabin.
Five years later, a rescue party spots the wrecked car and eventually finds their way to the cabin. Their uncle, Lucas, had never given up on finding his nieces and brother and had been sponsoring various rescue attempts since the disappearance. The children are found alive, but their behavior is more like an animal than a human. It's a mystery to everyone how the girls managed to survive all alone for this extended period of time.
The girls are put under the observation of Dr. Dreyfuss, who believes that they created a fictitious "Mama" figure to help them survive their abandonment. Their uncle Lucas takes the girls into his home where he resides with his girlfriend, Annabel. She is very reluctant at first to bond with the young girls, who are now 6 and 8 years old. However, after Lucas is attacked by a shadowy figure and put into a coma, she is forced to try to raise the girls as her own.
It isn't long before a jealous Mama feels threatened by the presence of Annabel in the girl's lives. She begins to become more possessive and stalks her throughout the house. Victoria no longer wants to spend her time with Mama, but Lilly remains dedicated to their shadowy savior from the cabin. This difference of opinion creates a rift between the siblings as the younger girl remains dedicated to her mysterious mothering figure.
More Plot Points (NO SPOILERS !)
* Dr. Dreyfuss decides to look deeper into the story of the "mama" figure and is able to corroborate Victoria's claim that Mama is actually in existence. She is a mental patient from the 1800's who had been separated from her own child and was now playing mother to Victoria and Lilly.
* Mama's jealousy grows and she continues to terrorize everyone in the house.
* Lucas wakes from his coma and rushes home to check on Annabel and his nieces.
* Mama is able to get away with the girls and escape to the spot where she lost her child hundreds of years before, leading to a final showdown.
* The shocking conclusion to the story will send chills up your spine and you will tell all your friends to see the movie, too !
Other films by Guillermo del Toro
Director: Hellboy - Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Pan's Labyrinth - Blade II - Mimic
Producer: Rise of the Guardians - Puss in Boots - Kung Fu Panda 2 - Megamind
Writer: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - The Hobbit: There and Back Again
After reading the review, do you plan on seeing the film ?
Related content on Hubpages
- Movie Review: Mama (2013)
- Movie Review of Pan’s Labyrinth by Guillermo Del T...
Pan’s Labyrinth is believed to be the most acclaimed work of Guillermo Del Toro to date.
- List of Scary Movies - Really Scary Movies, Scary Bo...
Did you ever see a movie at a drive in and lightning struck the screen? Well, that's what happened to me when I saw the Exorcist. Scariest movie ever! This covers a whole list of scary movies and polls to voice your opinion of each one.