Michelle Obama's Documentary 'Becoming' Premieres on Netflix
Even if you haven't read Michelle Obama's memoir Becoming, you can see what is in it by watching the documentary when it premieres on Netflix on May 6, 2020. Even if you have read the 2018 best-seller, you still will enjoy the series on television.
The former First Lady went on a 34-city book tour in 2018-2019 that was similar to a rock concert with sold-out dates in arenas around the country, in Canada, and in Europe. Obama said the book tour was successful, and she wants to reach more people through the Netflix documentary.
About the Film
The film is based entirely on the book. The documentary is a portrait of Michelle Obama when she was the first lady for eight years while her husband, Barack Obama, was the 44th President of the United States of America.
The film is described as “an intimate look into the life of former First Lady Michelle Obama.” The Netflix rendition chronicles Mrs. Obama's tour that she embarked on in 2018-2019 to promote her book.
Obama said she treasures the memories and the connection she enjoyed with the different people she met along the way. She is glad the tour happened when it did because she wouldn't be able to do it now because of the coronavirus pandemic. She said she is a hugger and she did a lot of hugging on the tour. Surely, she wouldn't be able to do it now with social distancing in effect.
Nadia Hallgren, a veteran documentary cinematographer making her feature directorial debut in Becoming. She was present with Obama on the book tour as they went from city to city.
Becoming is the most recent documentary to be released by the Obamas' production company, Higher Ground Productions. The others include the following ones:
- Higher Ground's first film, American Factory, by Julia Reichert and Steven Bognar, won the Academy Award for best documentary.
- Higher Ground released the documentary Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution, by James Lebrecht and Nicole Newnham.
About the Book
The complete title of the book is Becoming: A Guided Journal for Discovering Your Voice. Even when only the short name is used, people know it is the memoir of Michelle Obama. Becoming became a best-seller as soon as it was published on November 12, 2018. More copies of Obama's book were sold than any other book published in the United States in 2018. It broke the record in just 15 days.
The book was published by Crown and translated into more than 24 different languages. More than 11 million copies have been sold. One million copies were donated to First Book, a nonprofit organization in the United States that provides books to children.
Obama's book is not only about her time in the White House. Becoming has 24 chapters in addition to a preface and an epilogue. The book is divided into three sections.
- Becoming Me focuses on Michelle Obama's early life growing up on the Southside of Chicago with her parents and brother.
- Becoming Us describes her education and her early career as a lawyer at the law firm Sidley Austin where she first met Barack Obama and became his mentor.
- Becoming More features Obama's role as the first African American First Lady of the United States and living with her family in the White House for eight years, as well as her public health campaign, her role as a wife and mother of two daughters.
What to Expect to See on Netflix
The documentary on Netflix will fill in the gaps and provide more information that was overlooked during the time Michelle Obama was the First Lady of the United States. She talks freely about her experiences and her emotions while she and her family were in the public eye.
Those who will watch the Netflix documentary will see Michelle Obama and hear her speak candidly from her heart and shares things she never shared before.