- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
7.6 / 10
- Humor was pretty funny. I especially loved the chemistry these actors had together.
- Acting was pretty solid. Granted, you're not going to get any Oscar caliber performances here, but they're pretty good for an r-rated comedy.
- Pacing was great.
- Direction was pretty decent.
- The massage parlor scene was an unexpected surprise, but it was rather funny in how it was set up.
- Very predictable story
- I thought the whole Tatiana and Mike arc had some potential to give us something new, but it still follows that cliche predictable route that you'd expect from movies like these.
- Not exactly faithful to what actually happened, as the original Craig's list ad that was posted in real life was a joke, as the real Mike and Dave ended up taking two girls that they knew since childhood. And, the wedding actually took place in a small town; versus a tropical vacation resort. Whereas in this movie, they were willing to take two perfect strangers to Hawaii, for their sister's wedding. Granted, the film itself even admits that it's only sort of based on a true story; meaning that it's not meant to be a hundred percent accurate. I can understand that, but it's worth pointing out.
I hope to god nobody ever gives me a push pop....
"Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" is about as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Two self absorbed jackasses, who happen to be brothers, are constantly known for doing ludicrous s*** at family gatherings and weddings. While they always mean well, things never seem to turn out right. Now, their little sister is about to get married, but here's the problem. She wants them to bring dates this time, as the idea is that their dates will keep them in check. Wow, I guess it's true what they say. All men truly are p***y whipped by their women. Am I right ladies? Ha ha ha. Ahem...moving on. Anyways, she doesn't want them to bring any ordinary girls either. No, no, no...she wants them to bring "nice" girls.
Needless to say, Mike comes up with a plan to post an ad on Craig's List about it; requesting for two nice girls to accompany them for their trip to Hawaii for their sister's wedding; all expenses paid. The ad goes viral, as the brothers get a ton of responses. They interview tons of people, and inevitably meet two girls named Tatiana and Alice, who seem like nice girls at first. However, they may not be all that dissimilar though, as they're not who they appear to be.
Allegedly, this was based on a true story, with a few obvious liberties. And while it's hard to imagine a Craig's list ad asking for wedding dates to go viral, it only goes to show that sometimes life can be stranger than fiction.
"Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" isn't going to win any awards obviously, and it's certainly not even the best written r-rated comedy out there. The plot is predictable for the most part, and it leaves hardly any movie cliche unturned. However, what saves the movie is it's acting and humor.
For all the movie's short comings,it makes up for it with it's raunchy humor, which seems to know no boundaries. Zac Efron and Adam Devine work great off each other, as it almost makes you wish you could see them together more often. Granted, they both tend to overact in the crying scene, but they both manage to steal the show every time they're on screen together. However, it does worry me that Zac's only way to be funny seems to be playing the stoner dumbass these days, but to his credit, he pulls off that part rather well.
As for their dates, Anna Kendrick was fairly decent playing the innocent slightly dumb, Alice, who I almost didn't recognize in this movie. As for Aubrey Plaza, she plays her part rather well. I was a bit disappointed in the way they ended her character's arc with Mike, as it felt a bit predictable. But then again, I doubt seriously anybody goes into these types of films expecting an award winning masterpiece.
For the most part, "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates" is a fairly harmless film, which is almost guaranteed to give you a lot of laughs if you're into these types of comedies. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a great movie to watch on a Friday night, or you're just looking for a few cheap laughs.
I just wouldn't expect too much out of it.