More Good News Please
I must admit I don’t watch the mainstream TV network news programmes very much any more because they seem to be overly biased towards reporting bad news.
TV is the most powerful hypnosis tool known the man and the news programmes are the programmes which do most to reinforce what we believe is going on the world and how we should feel about it.
With so much negative news being reported it’s no wonder that there is so much fear and anger in the world.
I figured that I couldn’t be the only one to want more good news in the media so I set myself the challenge of finding 10 websites dedicated to spreading positive news. Now what constitutes good news is obviously a matter of opinion and not everybody is going to agree that a particular news item is either good or bad. During my search I found various YouTube channels purporting to be good news channels but on closer inspection many of them seemed to have a particular bias of some sort. Some were devoted to small local areas of the globe, some seemed to favour cute animal stories, whereas many seemed to have a very obvious religious affiliation of some sort. I have omitted these in an attempt to favour those that were spreading more general news.
My main interest was to see if I could find websites spreading the word about people doing good things to help other people and helping to make the world a better place. So without further ado here is what I found, in no particular order:
- Good News Network - The Good News Network® was founded by Geri Weis-Corbley, in 1997 with a passion to serve humanity in doses of positive news. The Good News Network describe their mission as “to provide a “Daily Dose of News to Enthuse.” The Good News Network® is a clearinghouse for the gathering and dissemination of positive compelling news stories from around the globe. Daily stories will confirm what we already believe: good news itself is not in short supply; the advertising of it is.”
- Happy News - “We believe virtue, goodwill and heroism are hot news. That’s why we bring you up-to-the-minute news, geared to lift spirits and inspire lives. Add in a diverse team of Citizen Journalists reporting positive stories from around the world, and you’ve got one happy place for news.”
- Positive News - Positive News was founded in 1993 by Shauna Crockett-Burrows and is described as “the world’s original and leading positive newspaper. Focusing on solutions, it reports on people and initiatives that are creating a sustainable, just and fulfilling world”. Positive News is also available in a print edition.
- Great News Network – “The Great News Network is meant to supplement your daily news sources – not replace it. It’s role is to show that there is hope, people are making a difference, and that a lot of things are getting better. Optimism is a great catalyst for making the world a better place. When we can see there is hope, then we’ll be more compelled to make the effort to do our part.”
- Only Positive News – “Only-Positive-News.com provides you with an alternative news service that provides positive news updates and inspiring stories from around the world. We are also dedicated to finding, celebrating and promoting people from all walks of life who are making a positive contribution and making this world a better place.”
- Positive TV – “Positive TV reports on what’s breaking through rather than what’s breaking down. From a local and global perspective there is a huge amount happening in the world to excite and inspire viewers however much of this news never gets reported. Positive TV looks to reach across generations and energise us with positivity at a time when we may feel overwhelmed by the negative prognosis for the future of humanity and the planet. Positive TV reports on people and events from around the globe that are helping to create and shape a Positive future at this critical time where we believe we are on the verge of a new renaissance.”
- Worldwide Good News – “Finally! Good News! Negative press now has its direct opposite as World Wide Good News takes the online world by storm by featuring positive stories and good news from around the globe.”
- Amazing News – “Amazing News was started as a way to give you a place to come to read about what is good in the world. It seems that if you watch the news on the television or read the headlines online or in the local newspaper, that all you see is bad news. But good things are happening out there in the world and we are dedicated to bringing it to our readers.”
As you can see I only managed to find 8 websites but no one person can have all of the answers so I am hoping that somebody somewhere might find this article and help me to complete the list by adding two more good news websites.
I believe that there are plenty of people around the world doing positive things to make the world a better place and I believe these people’s stories deserve to be told. I also firmly believe that the content of news programmes and the way that news is reported has a huge effect on our collective well-being. If the majority of the news is about war, murder, violence and crime, we are teaching ourselves and our children that the world is a fearful place where people can’t be trusted.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t report bad news - what I am saying is that if we report bad news and good news in equal measure we will go a long way towards spreading more joy and hope around the world. We all need to feel good about ourselves somehow. Spreading good news can inspire us to create good news and give ourselves a real reason to feel good.
And so to finish I would like to make a plea to all news networks around the world: Please let us see more good news on TV and in newspapers. Let us see the stories of people who are courageous, caring, compassionate, selfless and kind. Let us hear about the people who are working to make the world a better place and give us a break from hearing about those who are doing their best to destroy it.
Thanks for reading.