- Entertainment and Media
Movie Review: Scarface
The Ultimate Gangster Film
Say Hello To My Little....Scores
1. Acting: The acting in this film by Al Pacino was amazing. Nobody could have done it better. Also, the performance by Michelle Pfiefer in her first feature film was exceptional. Al Pacino, who plays Tony Montana, has always had a knack for acting in gangster films. Sometimes, whether on purpose or by accident, he plays an excellent bad guy. He won many awards for this film. Some people just have a certain knack for a particular role. This is his knack and he has found his calling. He plays a great bad guy. Grade: A+
2. Soundtrack: The musical score did not fit the film in some parts but, on the other hand, it had it's moments that made you really stop and think. The music was to upbeat for a gangster movie. It was not so much that the music was bad but, it was too much disco music, for this movie. Grade: C+
3. Plot: The plot of the movie was very real and could easily happen. A poor man from Cuba, comes by boat to Miami, Florida and takes over the drug trade. The film somehow has you rooting for Tony Montana even though he is a drug lord. It follows Montana's life from low life criminal to drug king pin. As humans, I don't think that deep down inside, you do not want any human or people that have to struggle in life to earn a decent living make it. Grade: A+
4. Suspense: The drama in this movie is breathtaking to say the least. From the death of Manny, to the death of Tony Montana's sister, it does not get any more intense than that. Also, when Tony is alone at the club and the two men starting shooting automatic weapons at him from the club. In a drug deal gone bad, with the Colombians kill Scarface's partner and he is chopped up by a chainsaw while Tony Montana (Scarface) watches. Grade: A
5. Action: Scarface has lots of violent action scenes. The final ten minutes of the movie has more action than some action movies have in two hours. Scarface has a huge arsenal of illegal weapons and he uses them to fight off a huge group of thugs in his mansion. This one is not suitable for older kids, as are most of these movies that are in this hub. Grade: A+
6. Realism: Scarface gets high marks for being very realistic. Whether it is the acting skill, the directing, producing or writing, this film scores big in all those areas. You actually feel like you are in the film as it unfolds before your eyes. When Tony Montana shoots a rocket launcher at his enemies, he is also blowing up parts of his house. Grade: A
1. Al Pacino as Scarface or Tony Montana (One of Al Pacino's Best acting roles).
2. Michelle Pfeiffer as Elvira
3. Steven Bauer as Manny Ray
4. Robert Loggia as Frank Lopez, The Don.
5. Paul Shenar as Alejandro Sosa
6. Murray Abraham as Omar Suarez
Have You Seen It?
Have you ever seen Scarface the film?
Scarface DVDs on Amazon
Great Al Pacino Films
The Godfather 2
Scent of a Woman
The Godfather 3
The Devils Advocate
Dog Day Afternoon
Who Do I Trust? Me, That's Who.
Al Pacino stars as Tony Montana. AKA Scarface. He was part of the Cuban crime wave that landed in Northern Florida. He slowly but, surely took over the drug business by eliminating his boss. He got married but, could not leave the criminal life. The film has intense violence throughout but, maintains high integrity due to the acting skills of the actors and the premise of the movie.
The final twenty minutes of this flick is unbelievable and unforgettable. Scarface is alone in his home with a group of killers closing in on him. Tony Montana has a mini gun store in his mansion if you will. Can Montana escape unscathed? Watch the movie to find out just how hard Scarface is. Whether Tony Montana is being shot at or, threatened by police detectives he shows no fear. Brian De Palma did a wonderful job with this film by making it seem so realistic. The chainsaw scene was horrific but, it seemed to be necessary to show the very graphic scenes. Even though it shows blood and the screaming is brutal, it never actually shows the saw cutting into anyone.
Great Gangster Movies:
1. Scarface (Al Pacino)
2. Godfather (Marlon Brando, Al Pacino)
3. Goodfellas (Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta)
4. Godfather 2 (Al Pacino, Robert De Niro)
5. Casino (Joe Pesci, Robert De Niro)
6. Donnie Brasco (Johnny Depp, Al Pacino)
7. Gotti (Armand Assante, William Forsythe)
8. The Untouchables (Kevin Costner, Robert De Niro)
9. Public Enemy (Johnny Depp, Christian Bale)
10. A Bronx Tale (Robert De Niro, Chazz Palminteri)
There are hundreds of classic gangster movies but, the ones listed in the list above stand out for several sets of reasons.
Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Scarface Film Clips
view quiz statistics
- Movie Review of Man on Fire
This movie review focuses on Man on Fire which stars Denzel Washington, Christopher Walken and Dakota Fanning. Pictures, videos and commentary are also featured in this blog.
- Best Drama Films of all Time
This article is about the top drama movies ever made. Man on Fire, Sling Blade, Green Mile and Schindlers List are featured in this blog. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed in this movie related hub. In Man on Fire Denze
- Best War Movies of All Time
This article is about the top war films in movie history. Patton, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos, a quiz and commentary are listed in this blog. Charlie Sheen starre
- Movie Review of Sling Blade
Billy Bob Thornton and the late John Ritter star in Sling Blade. This movie blog has pictures, videos and commentary on the subject of this film. Also, this hub details the summary of the movie.
- Movie Review of Cape Fear
Robert De Niro plays as lunatic Max Cady in the thriller called, "Cape Fear". Pictures, videos, a poll and commentary are listed in this movie review. The film received an Academy award nomination.
- Best Action Films of The 1990's
This article documents the top action movies that were released during the 1990's. Pictures, videos and commentary are featured in this cinematic hub. Face Off, Con -Air and The Fugitive are here.
Scarface: Ploitical Prisoner Clip
Location of Scarface
Scarface Movie Trailer
© 2013 Buster Johnson