Musical About Meghan Markle's Life Will Air on New Year's Day
Since Meghan Markle began dating Prince Harry in the summer of 2016, she has been in the news almost on a daily basis. People watched and waited for the couple to get engaged. They announced their engagement in November 2017 and married six months later on May 19, 2018 at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle Then five month later, Kensington Palace announced the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expecting their first child in the Spring of 2019.
The news about the 37-year-old newest member of the royal family keeps coming. She will be the subject of BBC Radio 4’s 15 Minute Musical series in a segment called The Sixth in Line to Be King and I, according to ET Online.
The radio musical comedy special will air on New Year’s Day. British comedian and presenter Pippa Evans will tell the story. She will also portray the Duchess of Sussex in the musical.
About the Musical
The Telegraph reports that the musical will be similar to those of Rodgers and Hammerstein productions. It will feature Meghan Markle's life up to her pregnancy and what is expected to be an exciting 2019 for her and Prince Harry as they welcome a new addition to their family next spring.
The BBC is very fond of the Duchess of Sussex and promised to do the musical justice by including only things that are factual. The former Suits star was once acting out scenes on the legal drama. Now she will be featured in a production where she will be the one talked about. The musical is an inspired celebration of Meghan's life up to the present time.
Other Series About Meghan Markle
This is not the first time specials have aired about Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex. Before Meghan Markle married Prince Harry on May 19, 2018, there were six specials about the couple.
- When Harry Met Meghan: A Royal Romance aired on TLC on December 12, 2017. The 48-minute documentary focused on Prince Harry and Meghan’s childhoods and covered the relationship up to their engagement.
- Meghan Markle: An American Princess aired on Fox on May 11, 2018 just a few days before the royal wedding. It examined Meghan's past before her marriage to Prince Harry.
- Million Dollar American Princesses: Meghan Markle aired on May 13-14, 2018 on the Smithsonian Channel. It was a historical look about the upcoming royal wedding.
- Harry & Meghan: The Royal Love Story aired on Lifetime on May 13, 2018. It was about the beautiful love story of Meghan and Prince Harry before they got married. Lifetime chronicled the courtship between Prince Harry, played by Murray Fraser and Meghan Markle, played by Parisa Fitz-Henley from their blind date arranged by friends to the time they got engaged.
- Royal Wedding Watch on PBS on May 14-18, 2018. The five-part series was hosted by Meredith Vieira and Matt Baker. They showed all the fanfare surrounding the couple’s upcoming nuptials on May 19.
- Inside the Royal Wedding: Harry and Meghan aired on NBC and was hosted by Today's co-anchors Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie. It premiered on May 16 just three days before the royal wedding.
There have also been some specials about Meghan Markle after she became the newest member of the royal family.
- Queen of the World was aired last August. Even though the main focus was on Queen Elizabeth and her role in the Commonwealth, Meghan Markle gave her first interview as the Duchess of Sussex.
- The Story of the Royals aired on ABC last August. It covered four generations, Meghan Markle's marriage to Prince Harry, and the evolution of the royal family.
Not the Only Royal with an Upcoming Special
The Duchess of Sussex is not the only royal having an upcoming holiday musical special. The BBC Radio Christmas schedule also includes Charles, the Prince of Wales.
Prince Charles is scheduled to make an appearance on Radio 3's Private Passions. He will share musical moments that have shaped his life. There are expected to be many of those moments since he is 70 years old and has lived a long and fruitful life.
The musical special about the first in line to the throne of England is advertised to be an exciting one just like the Meghan Markle's musical special. The public is expected to enjoy both of them.