My Favorite YouTube Channels Featuring Kids
Kids React Series
Action Movie Kid
Convos With My 2-Year-Old
1. TheFineBros – Brothers Benny and Rafi have become Internet stars with over 10 million subscribers on their YouTube Channel. They have several different series, but my favorite is their “React” series, particularly the “Kids React” videos. In this series, a group of regular school-aged children are asked to comment on retro or current events, pop culture, or technology. Their observations and opinions are both hilarious and thought-provoking (you’d never guess that they have never seen a rotary phone before or know how to use it). Some of the other series on this channel borrow the same concept with teens and adults. It’s interesting to see how the different generations respond to both foreign and familiar objects, interests, and ideas. Some parts of the video are hilarious while others can be heartbreaking. Still, it’s all about the kids being themselves and saying whatever’s on their minds.
2. Bored Shorts TV – The “Kid Snippets” series on this channel employs the magic of editing to create hundreds of hilarious shorts. Two or three young children are given a scenario to act out. Their dialogue is recorded and then re-enacted by adults with the children’s voice overs synced perfectly with the adults’ performances. They discuss everything from learning how to swim to marriage counseling. Some of my favorite videos in this series are adult situations that are re-imagined by kids, such as going on a first date. It’s a really clever and hilarious concept to have adults playing make believe with the most accurate dialogue provided to them.
3. Action Movie Kid – You may have seen these videos circulating throughout social media sites. A highly trained dad has created his own YouTube channel where he takes ordinary videos of his young son and adds special effects to turn him into a superhero. This little boy’s powers and skills cover everything from shooting laser beams to jumping over lava-covered living room floors. The boy is cute, the effects are impressive, and the videos are short but sweet.
4. Convos With My Two-Year-Old – This is another reenactment series where an ordinary dad (Matthew Clarke) recreates conversations that he has with his young daughter on film. The catch is that his daughter is played by a full grown man (David Milchard). The seriousness of the performances is what makes it funny, and his young daughter, Coco, makes cute little cameos in each video. It is fun to see this dad get pushed around by a little girl who knows what she wants and won’t let anybody stand in her way.
5. ThisKidNeedsMedicine –Kevin is your average, quirky teenager with a very fun grandma. At first, he began filming his conversations with his grandma without her knowledge while driving around town. In their videos, they make frequent stops at the Dunkin’ Donuts drive thru, nag terrible drivers, and hang out like best friends do. In some videos, he asks his grandma for advice for some of his friends at school. He talks to her about celebrity news as if their mishaps and minor crimes were being carried out by his classmates. He would ask her questions that viewers would ask and pretend that it was kids from school asking for advice. She humors him with his antics, playing the straight man to his off-the-wall on camera persona. Still, it’s grandma’s commentary on everything from what to look for in a man to how the guy in front of her is driving that will have you clicking on each video. She now knows that she is being filmed, but her personality hasn’t faltered.
What are your favorite YouTube channels featuring kids? Leave your comments below.