Naming The Sickening Things I Disliked About Bob Eubanks
Bob Eubanks: The ideal host.
The Newlywed Game debuted on ABC in 1966. The show was created by Roger Muir and produced by Chuck Barris. And what game show has not Barris produced or directed, huh? The first host of this edgy, somewhat controversial game show about newlywed couples who although were warned to not use certain words and phrases, would get angry at their mate's wrong answer and let him or her have it, was none other than Bob Eubanks who would lift the eyebrows (or just his right eyebrow) and wink at the camera like a fine-tuned NASA robot.
See for yourself.
Don't take my word for it. I plead you to watch a Newlywed Game rerun on YouTube sometime and keep your eyes focused on Eubanks. This should be proof enough that he was not one of my game show favorite hosts. My dislike for Eubanks was not hidden, but right there in the open for everyone to see.
I admit it. Watching the Newlywed Game was not to see Bob Eubanks, but to enjoy the pretty brides and let me tell you that during the short time that I watched this show, I got to enjoy a lot of pretty brides. After all, I was only 12 at the time and my friend "puberty," had moved in to teach me a few things about life.
Learning to be like Eubank was certainly not one of them.
If I had a favorite game show host, I would choose
the calm, collected, moderate-remarking host of The Dating Game.
Bob could do more things than host a show.
Bob Eubanks in my opinion would have made a terrific car salesman hands down. Actually, he could have taught "How to Sell Cars," as a college class. With his 24/7 groomed, ironed, and pressed looks, it would have been easy as drinking water. And his "magical" wink from his right eye, that was the "deal sealer" for some hot female divorcee or hot single lady to sign on the dotted line as Eubanks pocketed another big commission.
Things that Bob Eubanks would have not fit in doing, in my opinion, are:
- A dirt farmer.
- A rock singer.
- A highway department employee who directs traffic. (The guys who wear yellow safety vests).
- A commercial fisherman.
Besides being a terrific car salesman, other jobs Bob Eubanks would have excelled are:
- Soap opera star.
- Undercover cop.
- Tour guide for some great tourist attraction in Florida.
- Professional magician.
Things I Grew Tired of Seeing From Bob Eubanks Were:
- Being laid-back as the host of a show such as The Newlywed Game, but Eubanks was TOO laid-back and with that constant, "Heyyyy, what a racy answer," style of remark got to be too much.
- The instant-raising of his right eyebrow at the slightest-hint of something about sex or bedroom things being said in ignorance by one of the couples.
- Always and I do mean always having "that" Hollywood game show look--new suit, shirt and shoes. Hair styled "to a tee." And probably his eyebrows were professionally-plucked at each of the show's tapings.
- The fake-looking pasted-on smile that is only worn by car salesmen, insurance salesmen, and jewelry brokers.
I cannot really that Bob Eubanks was my most-disliked game show host. That title belongs to the late Richard Dawson, whose kissing addiction was overdone to the point of sickening.