- Entertainment and Media»
Naughty Boy: Singing an Inspirational La La La (Lyrics)
It is fair to say that modern day pop music rarely verges on the inspirational. Cheesy lyrics and populist beats are the order of the day. Thus, it is refreshing when you come across a song that has an inspiring message; yet, still delivers a fantastic beat.
Shahid Khan aka Naughty Boy certainly delivers with the single ‘La La La’ featuring the effective voice of Sam Smith. If you thought the hit ‘Wonder’ featuring Emeli Sandé was brilliant then you’ll certainly love ‘La La La’. While the former has a general uplifting message, 'La La La' hits right at home; zeroing in on those victims of a suffocating relationship. A relationship with someone domineering that you should and probably, will end up cutting ties with e.g. a parent, lover, wife or friend.
The video, shot in Bolivia, is actually an interpretation of a local legend about a boy who senses people’s troubles and helps in healing themhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_La_La_(Naughty_Boy_song).
La La La Lyrics
The beautiful intro (a boy's vocals) pulls you in just in time as Sam Smith starts his heartfelt rendition of Naughty Boy's lyrics...
La la, la la la ........
(Hush, don't speak
When you spit your venom, keep it shut.
I hate it, when you hiss and preach
About your new messiah
'Cos your theories catch fire) Sam Smith
Unlike many beat-driven songs that render their lyrics secondary and sometimes even irrelevant, Naughty Boy is able to complement the catchy beat with soulful lyrics that leave you in doubt on whether you have understood the true meaning of the song. From the video, you would probably assume that the song has spiritual implications; however, like with many of the well-written songs, fans can relate to the words in their own personal way.
To top all that, the song's chorus is like music to one's ear (no pun intended). A set of words worth repeating countless of times; especially to that one person whose voice you put on mute.
I'm covering my ears like a kid
When your words mean nothing,
I go la la la
I'm turning off the volume when you speak
Cause if my heart can't stop it, I find a way to block it
La la la la la...
La la la la la...
I find a way to block it I go
La la la la la...
La la la la la...
Who deserves the most credit for a song's success?
It is quite unfair that, in the music industry, writers receive very little credit as compared to the vocalist. The fact that most artist don't even write their own lyrics leaves most purist quite disheartened. It certainly seems that all producers have to is match a beautiful voice to already prepared set of words and they have a guaranteed hit.
Bruno Mars summed it up by stating that the only time he found financial stability and recognition was when he started singing his own music. This is even after he had been writing lyrics for many of the already established artists.
There is a different dynamic of music making that has gained popularity over the last few years. Artists such as David Gueta, Calvin Harris and Naughty Boy are making a mark without making use of their vocal capabilities. They all have acclaimed albums that full of vocals from different, talented artists e.g. Rihanna, Neyo and Sam Smith. It is very interesting that the industry dynamics have changed to the point that one's ability to succeed doesn't not necessary hinge on their vocals and write skills.
Which of the two songs inspires you most?
50 British Singles To Add To Your Playlist
Naughty Boy is just one of many talented artist coming from Britain. He has established himself in an industry full of quality. Here are a number of songs that would make for a great playlist:
- Naughty Boy (faet. Emeli Sande) - Wonder
- Dido - White Flag
- London Grammar - Wasting My Young Years
- Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
- Little Mix - Wings
- Emeli Sandé - Next to Me
- Disclosure - Latch feat. Sam Smith
- Natasha Bedingfield - These Words
- Calvin Harris - Feel So Close
- Leona Lewis - Better In Time
- Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
- James Blunt - 1973
- Ellie Goulding - Hanging On
- Example - Skies Don't Lie
- Lily Allen - The Fear
- Garbage - Blood for Poppies
- Little Mix - DNA
- Robbie Williams - Candy
- The Script - Breakeven
- Dido - Life For Rent
- Take That - Patience
- Mumford & Sons - Below My Feet
- Natasha Bedingfield - I Bruise Easily
- Keane - Silenced By the Night
- Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen
- Adele - Rolling In The Deep
- Coldplay - Paradise
- Lily Allen - Everyone's At It
- London Grammar - Help Me Lose My Mind feat. Londo
- Rudimental Feat Ella Eyre - Waiting All Night
- Take That - Rule The World
- Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing feat. Florence Welch
- Example - Won't Go Quietly
- The Wanted - I Found You
- Disclosure Feat Eliza Doolittle - You & Me
- Dido - Here With Me
- James Blunt - You're Beautiful
- Laura Mvula - Green Garden
- Sub Focus - Tidal Wave ft. Alpines
- The 1975 - Chocolate
- The Script Feat Will.I.Am - Hall Of Fame
- Rudimental Feat John Newman - Feel The Love
- Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page
- Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful
- Lily Allen - Not Fair
- Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
- Adele - Skyfall
- McFly - Love Is Easy
- Dizzee Rascal Feat Robbie Williams - Goin' Crazy
- Natasha Bedingfield - Single