Neil Young - Father of Grunge
Sometimes visionary, sometimes simply way out there, Neil Young is anything from boring.
Neil has maintained a huge following of fans since the seventies with varying styles of music including acoustic ballads, country rock and grunge rock & roll.
Never much worried about exactly how his music will be received Neil has recorded numerous albums both solo and within group settings.
Neil Young Quick Facts
Full Name: Neil Percival Young
Birth Place: Toronto, Canada
Father: Scott Young
Mother: Edna "Rassy" Young
Wife: Pegi Morton Young
Daughter: Amber Jean
Sons: Ben & Zeke
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
1982: Canadian Music Hall of Fame
1993: Best Achievement in Music - Oscar Nominee
1995: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Solo Work
1997: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Buffalo Springfield
2009: Best Solo Rock Vocal performance - Grammy Nominee
Neil Young - 1969
Respect Mother Earth and her giving ways or trade away our children's days.
Three Reasons to Love Neil Young
1> Like Bob Dylan he didn't let the fact that he doesn't have a great singing voice prevent him from achieving his dreams.
2> He doesn't let the record companies (or fans for that matter) lead his song writing. Rather, he writes what he feels - you can take it or leave it. In fact, Neil flips genres so often that his record company once sued him for failing to release "Neil Young" music.
3> He has written some of the best songs of all time.
What do you think of Neil Young?
Neil Young Trivia Facts
- Neil has been inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame twice! In 1995 for his solo work and in 1997 as a member of Buffalo Springfield.
- The Australian band "Powderfinger" is named after a song found on Neil's "Rust Never Sleeps" lp.
- Neil vowed never to play the song "My My Hey Hey" again after Kurt Cobain quoted the lyrics from the song "It's better to burn out then to fade away" in his suicide note.
- Neil is a Scorpio.
- Neil made the Rolling Stone's List of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time at position 83.
- Neil collects old automobiles and model trains.
- While watching the riots at Kent State University in Ohio on TV, Neil wrote his hit "Ohio"
- Neil turned down an offer of one million dollars to perform at Woodstock 94. When asked, he said he didn't want to perform because of how it was commercialized.
Better to burn
out than to
I just do
what I do.
I like to
What Neil Has to Say - Some Assorted Neil Young Quotes
- "As I get older, I get smaller. I see other parts of the world I didn't see before. Other points of view. I see outside myself more."
- "Back then people closed their eyes and listened to music. Today there's a lot of images that go with the music. A lot of music is crap and it's all commercial and the images are all trying to sell the record."
- "Commitments are one of the worst things to have in the music business. They're very annoying."
- "I don't like the American media - particularly Fox."
- "I don't like war. I particularly don't like the celebration of war, which I think the administration is a little bit guilty of."
- "I didn't really know what I was doing when I started. I just started writing songs. After two songs I just continued to explore it."
- "I have so many opinions about everything it just comes out during my music. It's a battle for me. I try not to be preachy. That's a real danger."
- "I just do what I do. I like to make music."
- "I live for playing live. All my records are live, since After the Gold Rush, with the exception of Trans and the vocals on Landing on Water."
- "I totally have no other talent and I would be totally out of work if I did anything else."
Neil Young Discography
Neil Young Albums
1968 Neil Young
1969 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
1970 After the Gold Rush
1973 Time Fades Away
1974 On the Beach
1975 Tonight's the Night
1977 American Stars 'N Bars
1978 Comes a Time
1979 Rust Never Sleeps
1980 Hawks & Doves
1983 Everybody's Rockin'
1985 Old Ways
1986 Landing on Water
1988 This Note's for You
1990 Ragged Glory
1992 Harvest Moon
1994 Sleeps with Angels
1995 Mirror Ball
1996 Broken Arrow
2000 Silver & Gold
2002 Are You Passionate?
2005 Prairie Wind
2006 Living with War
2006 Living with War: In the Beginning
2007 Chrome Dreams II
2009 Fork in the Road
Neil Young at Amazon
Share your stories, sightings, thoughts, rants, raves...