Welcome to Night Vale
Welcome to Night Vale
Welcome to Night Vale
Welcome to Night Vale is a hugely popular podcast about a town named Night Vale. This fictional (perhaps) town is a small, desert community somewhere in the American southwest, where mysterious things happen.
Like many small towns, we hear about these odd occurrences by way of good old public radio. WTNV community radio host, Cecil Palmer, shares the news, traffic, and weather of Night Vale -- that is when he isn't gushing about his love interest or trying to escape whatever is currently causing havoc in Night Vale.
Welcome to Night Vale is reminiscent of old radio shows like War of the Worlds or Art Bell. Imagine Lovecraft, Twin Peaks, Gravity Falls, Area 51, or X-Files described by NPR.
It is surreal and absurd, it makes you think, it makes you laugh, and it makes you cry. Welcome to Night Vale is worth a listen.
Welcome to Night Vale episodes are released every two weeks.
You Drive Through the Seemingly Empty Desert
You See a Strange Exit to a Place Called Night Vale
You Drive Through a Strange Area
Out of the Desert Appears a Town
In Some Regards It Looks Like a Normal Town
But You Start To See Strangeness
The Town of Night Vale
"A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep."
What is the town of Night Vale Like?
Night Vale is "A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep."
It could be any number of little, southwestern desert communities that you may have even passed right by. Though you'd likely never realize, as it can be difficult to find.
Fan Video of Night Vale Pilot Episode
Mostly Void, Partly Stars
Mostly Void, Partly Stars
Get the 1st Collection of Night Vale Episodes a written version of the Night Vale podcast.
It contains extras such as behind the scenes commentary, as well as the script from the first Welcome to Night Vale live show. It even has beautiful illustrations to make it even more interesting.
All Hail the Glow Cloud
The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe
Get the 2nd Collection of Night Vale Episodes. If you enjoyed the first collection of Night Vale episodes, don't forget to pick up the second volume.
It has even more behind the scenes action and the full script from another Welcome to Night Vale live show, The Debate.
Night Vale Organizations
Night Vale, like most small towns, has a Mayor and a City Council. The Night Vale Public Library was recently remodeled and has a summer reading program. The NRA has bumper sticker drives. Civic pride is mandatory.
Between the School Board and the PTA, they keep Night Vale's schools running, which can be a bit difficult since pens are illegal and computers are not allowed.
Government-approved education is available at Night Vale Elementary School, Night Vale High School (Go Spiderwolves!), Dagger's Plunge Charter School, the Preschool Chimney Sweep Academy, and Night Vale Community College.
The Boy Scouts are a big deal. Sign-ups are automatic and random. The Girl Scouts are a major force to be reckoned with.
Both the Illuminati and the Freemasons have branches in Night Vale.
The Night Vale Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area
Visit Scenic Night Vale
Sightseers should check out the Night Vale Harbor and Waterfront Recreation Area. You may want to wait for a flashflood though, so there's some water out there.
Radon Canyon is a beautiful stroll, the view is literally breathtaking. Rebreathers are available if you wish to visit the canyon.
The Night Vale Clock Tower cost quite a bit of money and while it bounces around town and is impossible to see or touch, it is still worth a visit if you can find it.
The Abandoned Mine Shaft outside of town is off limits, as all voters who voted improperly are being held there until they change their votes to the proper candidates. There is HBO OnDemand out there now though, so it's much nicer if you do commit a crime and need to be re-educated.
For fun, Night Vale has the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex. Just ignore the deadly, underground city beneath the ball retrieval area of lane 5.
There are also shows being held at the New, Old Night Vale Opera House.
Hiking Scenic Radon Canyon
Dog Park Rules
There is a Dog Park. No dogs are allowed at the Dog Park. People are not allowed at the Dog Park. The fence is electrified. Ignore any hooded figures you see there.
Don't Go Into the Dog Park
Get the Night Vale Book
Welcome to Night Vale is not just a podcast, now they have a book out too! Read this tale of life in this small town. I was actually surprised that the Night Vale world carried over so well into novel form. Surprisingly good!
Night Vale's Abandoned Mine Shaft
Get the 2nd Night Vale Novel
It Devours! is a mystery tale about faith and science and their convergence in Night Vale.
One of Carlos' scientists meets with the Joyous Congregation of the Smiling God, and there she finds more than expected.
I think this one is even better than the first novel!
Just Don't Go to Desert Bluffs
The nearby town of Desert Bluffs is home to true horrors. Gleeful radio hosts, fervent producers, company picnics, and the Smiling God.
Beware of Desert Bluffs.
Welcome to Night Vale Creators
Night Vale Writers and Producers
Welcome to Night Vale is produced by Commonplace Books and written by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor.
Joseph Fink created Welcome to Night Vale and co-founded Commonplace Books. He is a writer and editor, look for his publications - 'What It Means to Be a Grown-Up' and 'The Untold Stories of H.P. Lovecraft'. Joseph also does most of the announcements before each episode of Night Vale, though sometimes other people do them and pretend to be him.
Check out Joseph Fink's Twitter Account
Jeffrey Cranor is a co-writer of Welcome to Night Vale. Before Dylan Marron took over the role he also did the voice of Carlos The Scientist. He is heavily involved in live theater and often writes and directs for the stage.
Check out Jeffrey Cranor's Twitter Account
Get The Untold Stories of H.P. Lovecraft
H.P. Lovecraft is iconic and his stories are what started many a person down the road of horror. Cthulhu and the Great Old Ones aren't his only creations, check out these other stories from him in this book collected by Joseph Fink. They may be lesser known, but maybe that's just because some people can't handle their black, terrifying and malevolent horrific tales of terror.
Night Vale Performer and Writers
WTNV Community Calendar on Stephen Colbert
The Voices of Night Vale
Cecil Baldwin is Cecil Palmer
The main voice of Night Vale is done by Cecil Baldwin. He plays the character of Cecil Gershwin Palmer, host of WTNV community radio and he narrates nearly every episode. His voice is like a classic radio host voice, and sometimes I find myself just drifting off into the sound of his flowing melody and losing track of what he's actually saying.
Follow Cecil Baldwin on Twitter.
Cecil Baldwin as Cecil Palmer
Carlos the Scientist
The voice of Cecil's love interest, Carlos The Scientist, is done by the adorable Dylan Marron. Dylan is a sweetheart who is always trying to make the world a better place.
Carlos is a scientist who has come to Night Vale to study the town. He has a strong jaw and gorgeous black hair with just a hint of distinguished gray. His teeth are as perfect as a military cemetery. Cecil falls instantly in love with him, and the fans of the show did too. There is a lot of Night Vale fanfic and art featuring the pair. A lot.
Dylan Marron is actually Latino and gay, which I think gives his performance a little added touch. Apparently the writers of the show do as well since the character of Carlos was originally performed by writer Jeffrey Cranor until they felt it was better to have a separate voice actor do the work.
Dylan's Twitter account is full of interesting tweets.
Mara Wilson is The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home
Mara Wilson is best known as Matilda from the movie Matilda, but she was also Natalie in Mrs. Doubtfire and Susan in Miracle on 34th Street. We haven't heard much lately about this former child actress since she quit acting years ago, but Mara Wilson is still creating amazing works.
In Welcome to Night Vale, Mara is the voice of 'The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home'. She does an amazing job with her voice performances and really does manage to sound like an a creepy, yet charming character.
Check her out at Mara Wilson Writes Stuff
Also, she has an interesting Twitter account.
Mara Wilson with Iris Explosion
Other Night Vale or Outside Area Residents
- Josie, who lives out by the car lot
- John Peters, The Farmer
- Steve Carlsberg - He's a jerk. Voiced by Hal Lublin. Hal is a voice actor, comedian, and writer, and well-known for his work on The Thrilling Adventure Hour.
- Hiram McDaniels - A five-headed dragon in trouble for insurance fraud. Voice work done by Jackson Publick. He is a co-creator of The Venture Bros. show on Cartoon Network.
- Erika - The angels (although angels don't exist). All angels are named Erika, that's Erika, with a 'K'. They like to stay with Josie, out by the car lot.
- The Man in the Tan Jacket - Sells flies from his leather briefcase. No one can remember what he looks like.
- Kevin - Cecil's double from Desert Bluffs. Nice and sweet, and evil incarnate. Voiced by Kevin R. Free.
- Assorted Interns - Way too many to count or bother to keep track of.
- Intern Dana - One of the few surviving interns of the radio station, Dana was of course destined for great things. Dana is voiced by Jasika Nicole. Jasika is an actress most widely known for her role as Astrid Farnsworth on the TV series, Fringe.
- Tamika Flynn - Leader of the survivors of the summer reading program. Tamika likes to read and even librarians fear her. Voiced by Symphony Sanders.
- Earl Harlan - Scoutmaster and now chef at Tourniquet, the hottest restaraunt in town. When Carlos was not around he did cooking segments on Cecil's show. Voiced by Wil Wheaton, famous for playing Wesley Crusher on Star Trek the Next Generation as well as being a guest star on many shows such as Big Bang Theory.
- Doug - A member of the Giant Masked Army in the Desert Otherworld. He's very large and commands a lot of respect.
- Alicia - Another member of the Giant Masked Army. Alicia is not a man or a woman, and has a dog.
- Marcus Vanston - Local Night Vale billionaire and all around great guy, since having money must means you're a great guy, right? Likes to be nude. Voiced by Marc Evan Jackson who is an actor and comedian, performing in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, 22 Jump Street, and in the Thrilling Adventure Hour.
Molly Quinn Voice of Fey and an Intern
- Molly C. Quinn
Molly Quinn is the cute redhead from the TV show Castle, but she has also been in several other shows. She is adorable and a great actress. She has done the voice of an intern on WTNV as well as a character named Fey.
Welcome to Night Vale's Twitter Feed
Life is Like a Box of Chocolates
"Another Important Reminder: Everything is temporary."
Fun and Interesting Night Vale Tweets
The official Night Vale Twitter account posts hilarious, interesting, and awesome tweets. Here are some of my favorites:
- "On this day in history, people who have since been forgotten created things that will never be found nor understood."
- ""We have you surrounded." - literally everything that isn't you."
- "I only have eyes for you. We sold out of skin swaths & teeth a couple hours ago. Last few eyes are in that bucket. (50% off bruised ones.)"
- "Would the owner of a silver Chevy Aveo please continue living your life with the conviction that there is great purpose? You are beautiful."
- "It's really a lack of imagination that makes children check under the bed. Like the monsters couldn't be floating invisibly just above you?"
- "I'm sure everything will be fine. I'm sure of lots of things that are wrong. I'm highly fallible."
- "Which flesh-wrapped stack of blood and viscera are you? Take this quiz and find out."
- "Thank you for your interest in a life free of pain. We are not accepting applications at this time. Please try again and again and again and"
- "If you are afraid of the dark, don't be. Most of the truly frightening things are too small to be seen or inside your body already."
- "How many cursed spirits does it take to change a light bulb? Hard to say – they prefer your home to remain in darkness."
- "At home by yourself tonight? Just look closely in the background of any mirror. You are most certainly not alone. Happy Valentine's Day!"
- "Don’t forget! Also at noon tomorrow... the sun will be in the midday sky, oblivious to its significance on our tiny planet."
- "When a person dies and no one will miss them, the mourning is assigned to a random human. This is why you sometimes just feel sad."
- "A man walks into a bar. The bartender does not see him. No one sees him. The man died years ago. It is cold in the bar."
- "All i want for christmas are your two front teeth."
- "Listen, we're not saying there are several centipedes hidden in your bed. We'd never say that. Technically they are millipedes."
- "There is no cause for concern. We're way past that now. If you're not at least feeling mild terror then you haven't been paying attention."
- "There's nothing under your bed. There's nothing in your closet. Nothing waits in every darkness. Nothing is the most terrifying thing of all."
Check out more by following Night Vale on Twitter.
"He died doing what he loved: floating adrift on a tiny orb in the cold infinity, surrounded by stardust and void."
Welcome to Night Vale Tweets
Welcome to Night Vale Cosplay
Night Vale Cosplay
Fun Welcome to Night Vale Swag and Gear
Cool Welcome to Night Vale Swag
Night Vale Girl Scout Patches
WTNV Drinking Flask
The Welcome to Night Vale Store
- TopatoCo: Welcome To Night Vale Store
Want to get cool Night Vale gear and swag? Check out the Welcome to Night Vale Topatoco store. There are shirts, posters, flasks, tarot cards, patches, and other fun stuff.
Don't Forget to Get the Welcome to Night Vale Novels
- Amazon.com: Welcome to Night Vale Awesomeness
Click over to Amazon to see the available Night Vale novels, related books, scripts, even cool WTNV wearables.
Go to Welcome to Night Vale Live Shows
Welcome to Night Vale Live Shows
Each time to cast of Night Vale go out on tour they release a recording of the show. These episodes have a bit of a different feel from the other episodes, with more guest stars and more action.
Each of the released live shows are available on iTunes and Bandcamp.
So far there have been:
Condos - Episode 31b. Everyone in town is lined up to get a condo. Who doesn't want a condo? We should all get condos! What is a condo?
The Debate - Episode 45b. All the mayoral candidates get together for a mayoral debate. Who are you going to vote for? Hiram McDaniels, five-headed dragon? The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your House? Or someone else? Guests include Mara Wilson, Jackson Publick, Marc Evan Jackson, Mark Gagliardi, Annie Savage, Hal Lublin, and Kevin R. Free.
The Thrilling Adventure Hour and Welcome to Night Vale Crossover - Episodes 55b and 55c. Another popular show, The Thrilling Adventure Hour, joins Welcome to Night Vale for a hugely fun couple of episodes that will leave you begging for more. Features Cecil Baldwin, Jasika Nicole, Wil Wheaton, Marc Evan Jackson, Molly Quinn, and more.
The Librarian - Episode 63b. Renovations are being performed on the Night Vale Library, as long as the librarians can be avoided. Includes featuring special guests Wil Wheaton, Molly Quinn, James Urbaniak and Jason Webley as WTNV Interns being sent to the library.
Live Performance of Welcome to Night Vale
Start Listening to Welcome to Night Vale
Want to start listening to Welcome to Night Vale?
Check it out on Podbay, iTunes, or YouTube. The YouTube video below will take you the Welcome to Night Vale playlist so you can listen to all the episodes.
Listen to Night Vale
There's a Monster at the End
© 2015 Alisha Vargas