Nina Dobrev: The Bulgarian Canadian Actress & the Star of the Television Series the Vampire Diaries
Actress Nina Dobrev at the Entertainment Weekly Pre-SAG Party
Who is Nina Dobrev?
Nina Dobrev is probably not a name that most of us in the United States are familiar with. I happened to discover about Nina while doing some research about a similar topic. Nina Constantina Dobreva entered the world on January 9, 1989. A native of Sofia Bulgaria, Nina moved to Toronto Canada with her parents at the age of 2 and has been living there ever since. Known for her brown eyes and her long, brown hair that seems to extend for miles, Nina has shown an interest in virtually all areas of art ranging from dance, gymnastics, and acting.
How did Nina Dobrev get into acting?
Nina started modeling and this move led to auditions and then roles in films. A few of these films helped Nina get her start in acting. She had to learn Yiddish for her role in the movie Fugitive Pieces. A few more films Nina starred in include Away From Her and the TV series called Degrassi: The Next Generation. Nina began her acting studies at Armstrong Acting Studio.
Why is Nina Dobrev famous?
Nina Dobrev has become best known for her role in the TV series The Vampire Diaries and co-star Ian Somerhalder was dating her at the time that I first began to read about her life. I haven’t seen that TV show but that’s one of the ways I found out about her. Nina says that acting is like a passion for her, describing it as an “adventure that has just begun.” Nina believes that acting can be compared to a journey in which the characters that become created will help the actor or actress understand themselves. Nina has also been a huge fan of water sports, participating in swimming, windsurfing, wake boarding, and scuba diving. Her other numerous leisure activities include playing volleyball, soccer or futbol as it is known in Europe, snowboarding, horseback riding and rock climbing. Nina’s first TV movie appearance in 2006 came when she stared in Playing House. More recently, Dobrev starred in The Roommate in 2011 and also starred in the TV series The Family Guy. She has just completed filming The Perks of Being a Wallflower with co-stars Emma Watson and Logan Lerman. The movie premiered on September 14th 2012. It has now been more than two years since she and Ian Somerhalder have split up. In 2014, Nina did the voice for Panthropologie in the animated series Robot Chicken.
Nina Dobrev at the premiere for the movie The Great Gatsby
Interesting Facts about Nina Dobrev
- In addition to her knowledge of Yiddish, Nina Dobrev also speaks Bulgarian, English, and French.
- One of her favorite hobbies includes making jewelry and she has plans to start her own line of jewelry someday.
- She lists Meryl Streep as one of the people she really admires.
- Some of Nina’s favorite movies include Juno, The Notebook, and Schindler’s List.
- She really likes the HBO TV series True Blood.
- Nina has also been involved in charity work. She travelled to Kenya with her fellow cast mates in Degrassi where she built a school with the help of a non-profit organization called Free the Children. To support the cause, Nina wore a top towards the end of the movie American Mall.
- In the 2011 Australian FHM list of the 100 Sexiest Women in the World, Nina came in ranked at #44. Not bad considering that there are lots of beautiful women in this world of ours.
- She represented Canada in the Aesthetic Gymnastics competition during the 2005 Senior World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark as well as the Junior World Championships in Plzen, Czech Republic.
- Nina is a big fitness enthusiast. She enjoys water sports such as swimming, windsurfing, and scuba diving.
- Grey’s Anatomy is one of her favorite TV shows.
- She has a brother named Alexander Konstantinov Dobrev.
- She is a good friend of Derek Hough and his sister Julianne. Nina spent Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2013 with the Hough family. Those of you that watch TV will know that Derek Hough is a professional dancer that appears in the famous dance contest called Dancing With the Stars.
- She has one dog and a cat by the name of Miss Linx.
- Nina admitted that she takes a bikini with her wherever she goes. The reason: so that if she gets the urge to swim she can do it!
- Nina was named after her maternal grandmother Nikolina Constantine.
8 Facts that people may not know about Nina Dobrev
Awards won by Nina for her acting
Nina was spotted in Paris, France shopping over a few years ago. I think Nina should also be given credit for her stunning face and just overall great body! She is one of those celebrities that is sweet, cute and looks amazing! Nina has also won awards for her performances in The Vampire Diaries. These include the Teen Choice Awards for Best Female Breakout Star and best TV actress in 2010. In 2012, Nina won a People’s Choice Award for Favorite TV Drama actress.
More photos of Nina Dobrev
A short clip featuring images of Nina Dobrev
© 2016 Ara Vahanian