Obsessed Film Review
Beyonce and Idris Elba star in the movie Obsessed
Obsessed the movie is a film that stars Beyonce Knowles and Idris Elba as a young well to do couple who have just moved into a new house.
- The opening scene of the film Obsessed shows the happy couple driving up to the new house in their Mercedes Benz SUV.
- Beyonce, who plays the character Sharon in Obsessed, skips over and removes the "for sale" sign from the front yard while grinning from ear to ear.
- An adorable little boy plays their 2-3 year old son.
- They take him out of the car seat and enter the house.
This is just about the only time in the movie, Obsessed that the family has to themselves before they suffer the intrusion of a woman (Lisa played by Ali Larter) stalking Idris Elba's character, Derrick.
In their new house, the family does not have much time for themselves before they suffer from intrusion.
Obsessed the movie
Derrick drives the Benz over to his office and immediately has a brush with a new temp in the elevator. They find that they are both going to the same floor and will be working together. The new temp is Lisa and she immediately has eyes for Derrick. Derrick does not exactly discourage it but thinks his flirtation is innocent. Who knew Lisa would get Obsessed?
- The event that really takes things over the edge is when Lisa is found in the office break room by Derrick.
- He is just on his way to the refrigerator to grab his lunch but she is sitting at the table crying (or feigning crying) and he can not resist going over to comfort her. (This is the point where I am thinking, man, keep on walking out of the room. You know the movies where the victim is just doing something silly and you are wondering why he/she is doing it? There will be consequences later.)
Man, you should just keep on walking out of the room!
Lisa asserts that she is grieving over man troubles and somehow Derrick feels that he has to take the responsibility to compliment her, boost her confidence and get her out of her funk. Little does he know that fawning over her with this all of this attention causes Lisa to become .....Obsessed.
The film is a psychodrama/ psychological thriller and horror movie. Until the ending, this is not a bloody or gory horror movie.
- The setting is mainly a beautiful house, a beautiful office building, a beautiful car.
- The movie characters have a great and impressively fashionable wardrobe.
- Everything always looks clean and crisp on the surface but there is a family in turmoil because of the deranged outsider, Lisa.
A beautiful house, a beautiful car, a family in turmoil.
Lisa's antics makes this film reminiscent of The Hand that Rocks the Cradle at one point. Although Lisa is no nanny, she gains access to Sharon and Derrick's home and their child. The babysitter is oblivious to the fact that the seemingly nice lady is an intruder.
Not too predictable
- The actress Ali Larter gives an outstanding performance as the antagonist in the movie Obsessed.
- Perhaps she is just working with a particularly devious role that is written for her but some of her actions are just difficult to fathom.
- At some points you are just shaking your head and thinking, I can't believe she did that!
- You would have to see it to believe it.
Idris Elba and Beyonce also give strong performances in Obsessed the movie. The movie is not always very predictable. The unpredictability in Obsessed is something that the audience can appreciate when watching. I recommend that you pick up this rental today.
I rate it 3/5 stars.
Starring Idris Elba, Beyonce Knowles, Ali Larter, and others
Obsessed the movie
© 2009 Nyesha Pagnou MPH