- Entertainment and Media
Mastering The Office Prank
Lighten Up! Office Fun for Everyone
You spend eight hours a day with these people! Eight hours a day! Eight hours with people you don't even get to pick. Eight hours with the guy who has something to say about EVERYTHING. Eight hours with the sci-fi dork who lives in his parent's basement. Eight hours with mother earth who eats tofu for lunch and keeps breast milk in the office fridge. Eight hours with people who would eat your lunch if it didn't have your name on it!
Sure, you all get along - most of the time.
But, you must laugh to retain your sanity. Without laughing with (and at) your co-workers, the cubicle's half walls might just close in on you - lodging you between a file cabinet and your PC.
Office pranks are perfect. When you laugh with someone, you become friends - even if you have nothing in common. Office pranks can bring an office together. Oh jeez, forget the sappy stuff. Office pranks are just funny as hell !
Visual Ideas for Some Great Pranks
If you are looking for prank inspiration, take a look at what others have been up to. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
Some Simple Pranks
Easy Pranks Ideas for Your Office
- At the end of the day, everyday, empty someone's stapler leaving only 2 or 3 staples. They will have to refill it everyday, and go crazy.
- Advertise a colleague's job as available. Leave their number with extension for contact. Be sure it is well paying and with low qualifications.
- Each day move a co-workers desk an inch.
- Drop a lemon slice or maraschino cherry into someone's water bottle.
- spray glitter
- Move everything off someone's desk and into the office fridge.
- Play "Eye of the Tiger" every time your boss walks in.
- Replace photos of friends and family with that of say Scott Baio, Eugene Levy, Drew Carey, William Shatner, or The New Kids on the Block. Also set their screen saver to a slideshow of these photos.
- Drop a rubber duckie into the watercooler when you are changing the bottle.
- Remove the ink from every one of their pens.
- Open a container of lice powder, and leave it in the bathroom. Say nothing to anyone. Panic will slowly rise.
- Put a brown paper bag in the office fridge labeled "squirrel"
- Before an important meeting, replace everything on a co-workers desk with the Hello-Kitty version (pens with feather tops, pink pads, ...)
- Tape a really long memo or calendar to the inside door of the elevator.
- Install the clapper on something (anything)
(Or Jelly for you UK visitors)
Popularized by NBC's The Office, embedding items in Jello has become a classic. For explicit directions on how to preform such a feat visit How To Put A Stapler In Jello.
Prank: Welcome Home! - Extreme Cubicle Makeover
These guys went all out turning an average cubicle into a house complete with a roof, siding, and even a window box.
The Office has increased office pranks at never before seen levels. It has truly brought office humor back.
Putting all the items on Dwight's desk into the vending machine was classic. But, popularizing the Jello prank is the greatest office prank success for The Office.
Prankster Confetti Cannons
A prank in itself, or a grand finale...the confetti cannon.
Fun With Photos
A few minutes with photoshop, and a copy machine can make a prank that never really dies. Those photos just keep popping up. Bonus points for getting the photos online. Extra bonus points to the folks that made these photos that so many have laughed at!
Office Space - I believe you have my stapler.
Unable to endure another mind-numbing day at Initech Corporation, cubicle slave Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) gets fired up and decides to get fired. Armed with a leisurely new attitude and a sexy new girlfriend (Jennifer Aniston), he soon masters the art of neglecting his work, which quickly propels him into the ranks of upper management! Now the stage is set for Peter to carry out a high-tech embezzling scheme that's sure to mean the end of his job and a one-way ticket to easy street. Can he pull it off before all corporate hell breaks loose?
Office Space Novelties - Novelty Gifts From The Classic Office Humor Film
The Chia Keyboard - An Office Going Away Prank
Which One Are You? - The Prankster? The prank victim? The spectator?
Which do you tend to be?
Some pranks and practical jokes are not acceptable for the workplace
You don't want to be 'that guy' - that guy who did something terrible because he thought it was funny (and no one else did).
So, what not to do:
Don't prank people you don't like. If you are not their friend or at least on good terms then do not prank them. That's more in the harassment realm. Pranks should not be done in a mean way.
Don't do sexual jokes at work. You have no idea how this will be received, and sexual harassment is not funny. Even if you think that person would be okay with that particular joke, you don't know for sure, and the person in the cubicle next door may not be. Keep it clean. It is possible to be funny and clean. But, if you have to do something a little sexual, do not target it at one person.
Safety first. Don't do anything that can actually hurt anyone. A trip to the emergency room will spoil any prank. Greasing the doorknob may be funny, greasing the floor is not.
Don't cause damage. Embed their keys in jello, not their flash drive. If you ruin or break something, the laugh is lost.
Everything else is fair game.
Books on Office Pranks - Browse one of these books for great office entertainment
Simple Prank Ideas to Pull On Their PC
By leaving your computer unattended and unlocked, you are pretty much asking to be pranked.
Right-click on the desktop and click properties. You can then make one or more of these changes:
- change the desktop image to something funny
- change the size, font, and color of the windows
- switch primary and secondary buttons on the mouse (make mouse left-handed)
- Flip the screen upside-down by hitting CTRL-ALT-Down Arrow. To get it back, CTRL-ALT-Up Arrow
- set a new screen saver
- QUICK COMPUTER
- Switch the
- keyboard keys
- M and N.
- Switch some letters on the keyboard around (simply swapping M and N gets a great result)
- hit print screen and save the image in say Paint. Then set this as the desktop, and hide start menu. They will see the start menu, but it won't work.
- In MS Word, change some of the AutoCorrect settings (Format, Auto Format, AutoCorrect). These auto corrections are meant to automatically correct a commonly typed mistake, or enable you to type shorthand. You can set it to change any word or their name to something different. For example every time they type "To Whom It May Concern" you can have it automatically change it to "To you or you have no right reading this" or to change "the" to "fogizzlest". Also fun to change words their misspelled versions...that to dat, was to wuz, there and they're to their, or to and too to two. (That sentence made me giggle.)
- Visit a few websites that you know they use (which require logins). Type in a different (funny) login and when it asks if you want to save it click yes. So next time they go to google for example and try to login it will have the user name "ILoveEugeneLevy" or something like that as the default.
- Save random nonsense as a favorite in the browser. Examples: Barry Gibb Fan Club, Clay Aiken Fan Club, Hello Kitty Fan Club, ...
- Change people's icons (right click on the icon, click properties, shortcut, and change icon). You can get free and funny icons online at sites like IconArchive.com.
Pick Up A Few Things - A Few Tools of the Trade
Not so much a prank, but it does make the office fridge more fun - also add a set of poetry magnets for more fun.
Leave messages on the office fridge, or on metal door or desk. Write poetry, stories, or use as captions for photos. Not a prank, but still not actually working.
Prank Links - These sites have more great prank ideas:
- Pranks at ebaumsworld.com
Here are some pranks to pull in the office on co-workers.
- Top Ten Office Pranks
hoaxes, pranks, practical jokes, frauds, tricks, and other forms of deception.
- The Office Humor Blog
Bored at work? The Office Humor Blog is here to help! Featuring office pranks, daily jokes, poems, gift ideas, news, downloads, and other office humor.
- Planet Wally: Wide World of Office Pranks
The Wide World of Office Pranks
- Prank Example
- Post-it Notes Prank : Damon's New Office
2,500 post-it notes prank : Damon's New Office
Few More Ideas - These Pranks Bring Laughs...Slowly But Surely
- Print out a much of random photos and make files for them. Then file in the correct place in the victim's cabinet. For example, file a photo of a Sock Puppet under 'Sock Puppet". A few more photo ideas...Queen Elizabeth, Monkeys (put in a bunch of monkey photos), World's Largest Chair, Noses (a bunch of noses cut from magazine).... Especially good if they use interns or temps, as they will think the victim is psycho. It's a slow and subtle prank, but sometimes they are the best.
- In someone's messy office, put a set of sea monkeys on a bookshelf. Care for them until the person discovers it.
- Switch the nameplates from everyone's desks and doors.
- Visit Catalogs.com and sign them up for the most random catalogs you find, to their office address of course. The fun will start rolling in just a few weeks. May I recommend catalogs for Ballet Costumes, Wedding Gowns, Medieval Replicas, The Alzheimer's Store, Dog Fashions, ... The key is to order several catalogs opposite their personality. And, if there is a stupid nickname that they have earned themselves, use that.
Let Not the Parking Lot Be Safe
Go ahead...prank their car.
So, perhaps your victim is a hermit and never leaves their office. Or, maybe they don't even have an office. Then frankly they have left themselves vulnerable to the car pranking. This is a great prank to pull off right under their nose.
But, please, do no damage...insurance companies don't like that. Don't put duct tape or glue on a car.
Ready Made Pranks
Have you done, seen, or thought of an awesome prank that you'd like to share? Has one been done to you? Go ahead, brag a little.
And, if you were interested in how to publish a page like this, it is really quite easy. Just Click Here to begin...open a free account and start your own "lens" here on squidoo. Maybe you can even make a lens about your latest prank.