- Entertainment and Media»
- Performing Arts
Pentatonix: My Tribute
A capella Geniuses
Who Are The "Pentatonix?"
I want to start off by saying that this article has nothing to do with the pentagon. If that is what you were hoping for because you may have assumed I can not spell, I apologize for bursting your bubble. I am going to be sharing a music group that has recently risen to some fame over the past several months. I am well aware that this music group is not common name; many people are probably not familiar with them. So, I have decided to write a tribute for them, while describing who they are and what they have accomplished in such a short period of time. The "Pentatonix" recently won 1st place in season 3 of the Sing Off.
Sing Off? Pentatonix? Is this Josh kid making things up? Maybe he should just go back to writing his limericks and haiku. I know I am talking about a subject that is not well known at the moment. But, this group deserves the tribute for many reasons, and I hope to be able to share some of those reasons with you today. Sing Off aired its third season at the end of last year. This music show is known for its different style of music. Unlike X Factor, American Idol, and The Voice, the Sing Off prides itself in it's a capella music. Every group which competed on this show had to sing with their voices only, but were free to add percussion and beat box sounds(with their voices).
The Pentatonix came onto the show and began dazzling the judges and audiences with their unique electronic sound and amazing ability to create covers of popular songs with their own distinct style.
So, who are the "Pentatonix?" Let's take a closer look and discover this rare gem in the music genre.
Members of Pentatonix
As you could possibly tell from their name, "Pentatonix" consists of five members. Scott Hoying(lead singer), Kirstie Maldonado(only female vocalist), and Mitch Grassi(tenor) originally sang together in high school as a trio. They had heard about the Sing Off and wanted to compete, but desired two more members. Scott wanted the group to have a unique blend of music and style so he found Avi Kaplan and Kevin Olusola(who would act as the bass and percussion instruments).
Inspiration To Write About Pentatonix
As some if you may know, I have a strong passion for music. I have been singing ever since I can remember, and even before then as well. I have sung in choirs, choral groups, been involved in productions, etc. From all of my experience, I have enjoyed singing a capella music the most. If you ever want to talk about a capella music, let's grab some coffee and chat over a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts(all right maybe not a dozen, but they are delicious). I love a capella music, because it is one of the most challenging types of music. This is because you don't have the music in the background to drown out mistakes. The music helps you stay on pitch and keep rhythm. A capella does not have these "handicaps", if you will.
The first time I heard "Pentatonix", I was astounded! Their style, blend, control, rhythm and stage presence were superb! I was hooked from their first song in the competition until the night they won and sang their finale. So why write about them? I am offering this tribute, because I want to get their name out and I hope you guys enjoy! Before we move on, listen to this video sample of one of the songs they sang after winning the show. This will hopefully give you a glimpse into "Pentatonix" and what they are all about. I understand many people may not like this music and that is all right. We all have different tastes and that is what allows music to be widespread. At the same time, I do encourage you to listen to this song and see what you think.
Pentatonix Cover "Somebody That I Used To Know"
Pentatonix Songs From The Sing Off
- "ET" by Katy Perry
- "Your Love Is My Drug" by Kesha
- "Piece Of My Heart" by Erma Franklin
- "Video Killed The Radio Stars" by the Buggles
- "Love Lockdown" by Kayne West"
- "Oops!...I Did It Again/Toxic/Hold It Against Me" by Britney Spears
- "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
- "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland
- "OMG" by Usher
- "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
- "Forget You" by Cee Lo Green/ "Since You Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson Medley
- "Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and The Machine
- "Without You" by David Guetta
- "Give Me Just One Night"(Una Noche) by 98 Degrees
- "Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor
Listen To Pentatonix
What do you think about this group?
Interesting Facts About Pentatonix
1. The group is named after the word pentatonic, one of the most commonly known five-note musical scales.
2. 24 hours before competing on the Sing Off, only three of the members had known each other. The bass and percussionist were added before the contest, because the leader desired a unique blend and style of music.
3. The group only consists of one female vocalist. (I personally think this was a wise choice due to their unique music blend)
4.The three original group members(Scott, Kirstie, and Mitch) cultivated fame in their hometown by their cover of Lady Gaga's "Telephone".
5. The oldest member in the group boasts the age of 23. (This gives me hope. I still have time)
6. The original group members grew up in Arlington Texas, five miles from the Dallas Cowboys Stadium. (Is this the wrong time to say, "Go Patriots?")
7. The beatbox-percussion extraordinaire, Kevin Olusola has the unique ability to play the cello and beatbox at the same time. (This is a must see, just search him on youtube. You will not be disappointed!)
8.This group has the amazing ability to pull from each of its members strengths to create a style of intricate arrangements and infectious music.
9. Upon winning the Sing Off, the members left their home towns and relocated to Los Angelos in hopes to make it big.
10. And "big" is what they have certainly accomplished. Upon winning, they released covers of "Somebody That I Used To Know" and "We Are Young". These videos have been feautured by Perez Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and The Huffington Post, to name a few.
11. The two songs mentioned above have reached 8 million views together. Their youtube channel has hit 13 million views along with nearly 120,000 followers. (That is impressive without being sponsored by any big time names.
12. The group refused their $200,000 Sony Contract for winning the Sing Off Season 3.
13. This past June, they released their debut album, "EP", featuring songs such as "Starships" written by Nicki Minaj. (This is an excellent video which you should look up some time, especially if you are a Nicki Minaj fan).
14. They are currently beginning their rise to fame as they are now touring with this album in the hopes of shining a new light onto a capella music and bringing it back to fame and popularity.
"Pentatonix Cover Of "Love Lockdown"
Well, this concludes my review on the "Pentatonix". I hope you have enjoyed my switch in writing topics. I figured since I love music, I should write a hub on a capella music. This type of music has always fascinated me. If you do not like this music, I appreciate you for enduring through this review and applaud you for your courage. Until next time my fellow hub friends!