Playlist: Songs for women struggling with eating disorders
Women (and men) all over the world suffer from eating disorders.
Here are a few songs, specifically for women, that they can listen to and draw comfort from when they are struggling with an eating disorder.The songs are of various genres and various moods. Some of these are uplifting and brave, while some are darker, expressing the helplessness.
- Christina Aguilera- Beautiful: Soft, slow, with powerful vocals, this song starts with lyrics that speak of insecurity, and then goes on to declare "I am beautiful, no matter what they say, words can't bring me down."
- Saving Jane- Imperfection: This is a happy and confident song, that acknowledges the imperfections, proudly embraces them, and refuses to change them. Lyrics include "This is what you get. This is who I am. Take me now or leave me Any way you can."
- Pretty/ Unpretty- Glee Cover: This song talks about looking at someone who's pretty and feeling unpretty, specially when in love with somebody who has a beautiful girlfriend. Insecure and more tragic than the other songs, but the chorus sends out a positive message- "You can buy your hair if it won't grow, you can fix your nose if he says so, you can buy all the make-up that Mac can make. But if you can't look inside you, find out who am I to, be in a position to make me feel so, damn unpretty."
- Demi Lovato- Skyscraper: While this song can also work as a break-up song, it basically talks about challenging something that is controlling you and making you weak, and getting rid of it. This song is a strange mix of pain, and fight. Lyrics include, "You can take everything I have, you can break everything I am, like I'm made of glass, like I'm made of paper. Go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the grounds, like a skyscraper."
- Demi Lovato- Believe in me: A happier song that talks about believing in yourself and accepting that you're special in your own unique way. Lyrics include: "I'm quickly finding out, I'm not about to break down, not today. I guess I always knew, that I have all the strength to make it through."
- Carrie Underwood- Nobody ever told you: This inspirational country song tells you what nobody ever told you, and urges you to stop believing in the stereotypes set by society and treasure yourself for who you are. Lyrics include: "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, acting like it knows it all. Tells you lies of vanity, doesn't care what's underneath."
- Taylor Swift- Tied together with a smile: This is a soft, soothing country song that talks about breaking down- about feeling like "you're not pretty", and not having any luck in love. Lyrics include: "You cry, but you don't tell anyone That you might not be the golden one And you're tied together with a smile But you're coming undone."
If you have any other song you know, let me know in the comments. As a recovering anorexic, I'd personally like to listen to more songs too.