- Entertainment and Media
R & B's Best Female Groups of All Time
R and B Queens
view quiz statistics
Who is Your Favorite?
Who is your favorite female R and B band?
Ladies with Rythym
1. TLC: TLC formed in 1990 in Atlanta, Georgia and consisted of Left Eye, Chilli and T Boz. The band holds the record for the highest grossing tour and they are also the biggest selling female r and b artists ever. The voices of this band is awesome awe inspiring to say the very least. They have had nine albums, four of them studio albums and even though they became commercial and mainstream, they stayed true to their roots. My favorite song by TLC is: Unpretty.
2. Destiny's Child: This soulful group started out in Houston, Texas in 1990 just like TLC and they consisted of Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. They have dealt with turmoil within the band and had public spats and breakups but through it all they still came together to back jammin hits. My favorite song by this soulful trio known as Destiny's Child is Say My Name. Beyonce went onto even greater fame with her solo career but it all started here.
3. En Vogue: This band began in 1989 in Oakland, California and they still make music to this day. The band is made up of Maxine Jones, Cindy Herron and Dawn Robinson and they had strong voices. Their lyrics and how they dressed and acted gave them the title of Divas. My favorite song by En Vogue is No Fool No More. The dance moves are always excellent and one of a kind to say the least.
4. SWV: Sisters with Voices began in New York as a Gospel group in 1990 and consisted of Leanne Lyons, Cheryl Gamble and Tamara Johnson. They have had fourteen albums, five of which were studio albums and they are the first ladies of the New Jack Swing movement. My favorite SWV song is You're The One.
5. The Pointer Sisters: Bonnie and June Pointer started out in California in 1969 and they are the inspiration for aspiring artists everywhere. They have made soul, rock, R and B, country, gospel and dance songs for over forty years. My favorite song by The Pointer Sisters is Fairytale. They have stayed successful during the 70's, 80' and 90's. Awesome music for people of any age without a shadow of a doubt.
6. Xscape: This band formed in Georgia in 1992 and was very successful throughout the whole decade before disbanding. Sisters, LaTocha and Tamika Scott had very distinct voices which could make you cheer loudly or even cry from the emotion they brought to the stage. My favorite song by Xscape is Feels so good. This band truly made videos that mad you want to dance and bounce around.
7. The Supremes: They started out in Detroit, Michigan in 1959 and with lead singer Diana Ross at the helm they were unstoppable. This band was unique because they were not afraid to show their sensual side while on stage. These ladies were sexy and knew it. My favorite song by The Supremes is I Second that Emotion. Diana Ross had success with and without her group but this is where her skills and talent became apparent to the masses.
8. Labelle: Patty Labelle and company were together from 1959-1977 and started out in Philadelphia. Other than r and b they also were queens of Doo Wop and glam rock if you will. They were the first female performers to mix rock with blues music and they set the gold standard. My favorite song by Labelle is Something in the Air. The way these women dressed and carried themselves is a gold standard for future hopefuls in the industry.
9. Jade: Although they only made 4 albums, many songs made the charts and the albums were full of hits. Tonya Kelly started the band in 1992 in California and their music was as much gospel as it was R and B. Besides their albums they have been on several soundtracks, television shows and they have performed live on a regular basis during the 90's. My favorite Jade song is Keep on Risin'.
10. The Emotions: The emotions began in Chicago, Illinois in 1968 and they still perform in live shows to this day. The three sisters toured and performed with Earth, Wind and Fire on a regular basis which sky rocketed them to the top. That and their deep and often sad R and B ballads. They mixed soul with disco. My favorite song by The Emotions is Best of my Love.
Origination of TLC
The Best of The Pointer Sisters
The World of Music
- MTV's Video Music Awards Best Performances of All Time
This article showcases the top musical acts that ever performed during the VMA's. Elton John, Eminem, Madonna and Britney Spears are listed in this hub. Also, pictures and videos accompany this blog.
- Best Heavy Metal Bands of All Time
This article focuses on the top Heavy Metal Bands of All Time. Metallica, White Zombie, Motley Crüe, Pantera and Ozzy Osbourne are listed in this hub. Maps, polls, pictures, you tube clips and commentary are also listed in this hub. Metallica had man
- Best Jazz Artists of all Time
This musical hub documents the careers of Nat King Cole, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and John Coltrane. Video clips, photos, maps, polls and commentary are also featured in this article. Nat King Cole was a legendary Pianist, who was born in Alabama.
- Best Hip Hop Groups of all Time
This article documents the top Rap groups ever including Outkast, N.W.A., Geto Boys and Bone are listed in this hip hop hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary are listed in this hub as well. NWA featured Dr. Dre, Ice Cube
- Country Music's Best Bands of All Time
This article documents the top Country music bands ever. Brooks and Dunn, Diamond Rio, Alabama and The Rascal Flatts are featured in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips, a quiz and commentary are also listed in this hub with facts about C
- Best Female Pop Artists of All Time
This hub documents the top female pop singers ever including Madonna, Mariah Carey, Brittany Spears and Whitney Houston. Pictures, you tube videoes, maps, polls and commentary are featured in this article as well.
Destinys Child: Soldier
En Vogue: Free Your Mind
TLC in The South
TLC ruled the airwaves in Alabama during their best years. I can recall TLC being constantly on the radio not to mention MTV and BET. I live in a section of Birmingham, Alabama and the radio station called 95.7 Jamz always played these ladies throughout the day almost everyday.
© 2012 Buster Johnson