- Entertainment and Media»
- Performing Arts
Reasons to Learn Juggling
The Source of Goodness
Why Learn to Juggle?
There are two main reasons why people learn to juggle:
- They think juggling looks cool/impressive and they want to make friends without having to do too much talking (this is a good reason).
- They've heard it's good for them/real exercise is too much effort.
Be surprised then and marvel at the full and competent actual list of juggling benefits that you'll find below!
Famous People Juggle
Now I'm not saying that juggling is the only reason that these people became famous and successful, but it's definitely the main one:
- Kristen Stewart
- Ellen Page
- Michelle Obama
- Niel Patrick Harris and even
- Justin Bieber
Have all been snapshotted in the following link enjoying playing with balls: http://firepedia.com/9-celebrities-who-juggle/
Ever wondered what Jay-Z meant by 'ball so hard'? Well now you know.
1. Personal Satisfaction
Not only do other people appreciate your 'mad skillz,' but the the sense of accomplishment that comes with pulling off a good trick fluently is a reason in and of itself to learn juggling.
Satisfaction also comes from the many things you hear when juggling in public places like "maaan, how do you do that," "you should be on Britain's Got Talent!" and of course "get a job dude!"
Juggling 5 balls is a personal pride of mine and the ability to wield such great control over 5 flying objects cannot be explained accurately enough in words - I'm afraid you're going to have to learn yourself so that you know.
The video below, although cheesy and probably filmed using a vegetable, inspires me to keep juggling - if I know that someone can do that then I know that I can too, and the satisfaction at the end of that long juggling rainbow is going to be great.
2. Physical Fitness
As well personal satisfaction, juggling can burn up to around 372 calories per hour1.
Consider that there are thousands of different tricks and also just how addictive juggling really is, and you soon see that you can keep fit without having to go through the repetitive and mind-meltingly boring forms of exercise like walking, running or swimming.
Personally, juggling for 2 hours (750 calories) a day is not a rarity for me, and when taking a break from my other sports, juggling keeps me fit whilst allowing me to train my brain.
For the More Active Among Us
If like me you enjoy competitive sports like rowing, weightlifting or any other physically demanding sport, then you should already be very familiar with active recovery in-between your workouts.
These are minor exercises you do that won't put too much stress on your already fatigued post-workout muscles. The reason of course is to increase blood flow (and so the amount of nutrients) to your damaged muscles and in that way speed up their recovery and increase muscle growth. The gentle throwing and feet-fidgeting of juggling fills the role snuggly!
So if nothing else, juggling can be the active workout in-between your hardcore sessions that will both provide you with enjoyment and give you the edge you need against your opponents.
Of course if you make it a habit you won't even need to think about constantly doing active workouts, since you know that your constant juggling is more than enough.
For more on active recovery and how to recover from workouts, see:
1. (Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal)
3. Juggling Puppies
For some, the urge to resist juggling puppies is just too much, and, they learn to juggle simply so they can juggle their pets at home.
And although I don't have enough right now, I'm sure that if I had ever had three sizeable pets, I would have definitely juggled them by now...
Don't Drop the Ball!
4. Mental Fitness
One of the most important benefits of juggling is the effects it has on your brain.
- Concentration is something that is absolutely necessary in juggling - if you lose focus you'll drop the ball (in the literal sense). Trying to juggle for as long as you can is equivalent of trying to focus for as long as you can, and as you practice you'll find your concentration improvement helping you in everyday life - you might even finally understand inception.
- Hand-Eye Coordination is also fairly important in a skill that revolves mainly around using the hands and the eyes. There may not actually be any better exercise for this skill and there certainly isn't anything that requires you to perform such a high variety of hand-eye related tasks i.e. since there are thousands of different tricks, there are thousands of different movements your hands and your eyes need to work together to do.
- Gray Matter is a type of brain cell that is associated with intelligence (learn more here). Of course, you guessed it! Juggling has been proven to increase the gray matter in your brain!2 General increases in intelligence can therefore be assumed to follow.
- As well as these, other obvious but less important increases in peripheral vision, depth perception, spacial awareness and neuromuscular control (your body doing what you tell it to) arise from the seemingly straightforward task of juggling.
2. (Nature magazine, volume 427, Jan. 2004)
5. Distractions Distractions
Using all of your focus on trying to keep pesky spherical cretins from hitting the ground and irritating your neighbours downstairs is an excellent way of distracting yourself from such problems and bad habits as:
- Not knowing why you exist
- Overfeeding your cats, and lastly
- Watching too much Walking Dead
As you can see, juggling has endless benefits and so it's really up to the individual to decide how he can use his talent.
So why not go to your local store and buy 3 balls for £1.50 (or use your mother's precious goose eggs for an added 'wow' factor) and start juggling today!.
At the end of the day, If nothing else, you have 3+ balls to throw at people you don't like.
So what do you say?
Have I convinced you that juggling is not a complete waste of time!?
UK Places to Buy Balls - Direct me to good sites in YOUR country!
- Firetoys - Quality Circus and Juggling Kit
I practice with £1.50 balls from Toy Master, but this is where I get my performance equipment from! :)
- Home page - Play Juggling
- Juggling Equipment and Circus Skills Toys - Oddballs - England's Original Juggling Shop, est. in 198
UK Store sells Juggling Equipment and Circus Skills Toys.