Riho Sayashi: The Former Morning Musume Girl, Stage Actress, and Bikini Model
A photo of Riho Sayashi taken for the Hello! Project Label
Who is Riho Sayashi?
Riho Sayashi is a Japanese pop music singer who is associated with Hello! Project, the huge label that is not a record label, but it is the “umbrella” name for the many female music artists assigned to it. She was a 9th generation member of the girl group Morning Musume 15. The group was under the name Morning Musume 14 in 2014 and from 1997 through 2013, the group was known as Morning Musume. Note: depending upon what happens in the career of this writer, this may be the last biography of a current or former Morning Musume member that gets written here. Of the most recent members to join the group, Sayashi has been among the most popular of these girls. After the graduation of Risa Niigaki in May 2012, Sayashi has become one of Morning Musume 15’s central figures and one of their main vocalists.
How did Sayashi prepare for a career in the entertainment industry?
Sayashi was born on May 28, 1998 in Hiroshima, Japan. In 2004, she would enroll in Actor’s School Hiroshima. This school focuses on singing, acting, and dancing so that the students can prepare for a future acting career. Sayashi would take part in several concerts organized by the school as a 12th generation member and she would have quite a fan base prior to joining Morning Musume.
Photos of Riho Sayashi from her 2013 photo book called Taiyou
Attempt at modeling and joining Morning Musume
In July 2007, Sayashi attempted to start a career as a fashion model. At the time, she was auditioning in Osaka. In 2010, she became one of the five winners of JC & JK Joyuu Audition and she also got her chance to act in Morning Musume’s Fashionable stage play. Late in 2010, Sayashi would audition for Morning Musume’s 9th generation and she would pass it! It would be on January 2, 2011 during a Hello! Project Winter Concert that Sayashi would be announced as a 9th generation member. Joining her would be now band leader Mizuki Fukumura, Erina Ikuta, and Kanon Suzuki. This group of girls would make their stage debut on the same day.
The song called Selfish Easy Going Jokes of Love (Riho Sayashi version)
Photos of Riho Sayashi in a swimsuit
Career of Riho Sayashi (2011-2014)
On March 27, 2011, Sayashi would be chosen to replace singer Erina Mano on the radio show called “Mano Deli.” The show would be renamed “Riho Sayashi.” The show would last until December 28, 2014. In April 2011, Sayashi would make her single debut with Morning Musume called Maji Desu ka Ska! In July 2011, injuries would cause Sayashi to miss six weeks of events. Sayashi would star in another stage play called Reborn Inochi no Audition. This stage play also featured the other 9th generation girls, Risa Niigaki, Reina Tanaka, and Haruka Kudo. On April 18, 2012, it was announced that this same lineup of members plus the 10th generation would star in another stage play called Stacey’s Shoujo Saisatsu Kageki. This musical would run from June 6th through 12th of 2012. Niigaki would not participate in this play and she would graduate from Morning Musume along with member Aika Mitsui. Tanaka would remain with Morning Musume until May 2013 before leaving the group to concentrate on the group called Lovendor. On July 20, 2012, it was made public that Sayashi and S/Mileage member Ayaka Wada would form the unit called Peaberry. This unit released the single called Cabbage Hakusho / Forest Time with the unit Harvest on November 7, 2012. Sayashi would also do a solo performance of the single Furusato. On May 28, 2013, there was a birthday event organized for Sayashi who turned 15. Guests that were at the event included Mizuki Fukumura, Ayumi Ishida, and Sakura Oda. These birthday events are very common for members of Morning Musume just like handshake events are popular for AKB48 and related groups. In November 2014, Sayashi was chosen to be on the show called Youngtown Doyoubi, eventually replacing Sayumi Michishige as a regular member on the show.
Riho Sayashi (2015-Present)
On October 29, 2015, Sayashi announced that she will be graduating from Morning Musume 15 at the end of 2015. She expressed that she would like to study English and dance abroad. She will still be a part of Hello! Project. Just days after her graduation, Sayashi recorded a video of her speaking in English for her international fans. She got some help from former member Aika Mitsui. Sayashi graduated from Morning Musume 15 on December 31, 2015. Note: the group’s name is now Morning Musume 17.
Riho Sayashi in a red dress
Interesting Facts about Riho Sayashi
- Sayashi has a younger sister and younger brother.
- Her uncle is a former baseball player for Hiroshima Carps.
- Sayashi’s ancestors were artisans in the city of Hyogo.
- Her pet fish is named Kuroe Sayashi and her hamsters are Omochi 1 and Omochi 2.
- Her best friend in Morning Musume is Kanon Suzuki.
- Has said that she would like to go anywhere with Mizuki Fukumura.
- She has the ability to paint without looking!
- She has an art collection at home.
- She moved to Tokyo from Hiroshima to be in Morning Musume.
- She has the ability to bend her thumbs all the way back.
- Sayashi has said that she would like to be a nail artist.
- Wants to appear in a commercial about cider.
- She was the lead vocalist with Reina Tanaka until Tanaka graduated.
- Example is her favorite word in English.
- When she moved to Tokyo, she became very touched when she received a text message from Niigaki telling her not to hesitate asking for help if she needed it.
- She is very shy when she meets new people and tries to make new friends.
- She was kissed by Sayumi Michishige during her graduation concert.
- She is a big fan of former member Ai Takahashi.
- Sayashi likes Starbucks Coffee and drinks it with no milk or sugar.