Rock Music of The 1970s
1970s Rock Legends
1. Pink Floyd: Floyd started out of England and has made such classics as: Money, Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb and Have A Cigar. I would say that they are most known for Another Brick In The Wall. They played from 1965-1995 and the original leader Roger Waters still performs solo. Pink Floyd had not only music with major political, social and moral undertones but, much of the songs dealt with Roger Waters personal life. I have had the privilege of seeing them perform live in concert in 1994, in Birmingham, Alabama. At this particular concert, I also witnessed one of the most spectacular laser light shows that I have ever seen. Their shows have amazing lights and images floating in the air. This band is said to be one of the best of all time.
2. Led Zepplin: This band had a major hand in the development of heavy metal and performed from 1968-1980 with many reunions in between. Like Floyd, this band was from England and their music was a cross between blues, hard rock and even folk music, at times. They had many hits including my favorite, Stairway to Heaven. They made a total of nine studio albums. Jimmy Page could play a guitar like nobody's business. I only knew of the music in 1980, and they were quite popular then. Robert Plant who was the lead singer started his own band in the 80s.
3. Rolling Stones: Yet another rock band from the hotbed of rock music, England. Mick Jagger and company have released a whopping twenty four (24) albums and eleven (11) more live albums and have been one of the most influential music groups ever. The band formed in 1962 and remarkably still produce new music. The music was rarely controversial but, some of the band members had much controversy surrounding their activities during the 1960s. It is hard to believe that they sell out stadiums everywhere and they are 40 years into their career.
4. Kiss: Paul Stanley and long tongued Gene Simmons started Kiss in New York in 1973 and they have not called it quits yet. Known for face paint and sexual songs, this group puts heavy in heavy metal. Stanley and Simmons have made several solo albums between them. Some of the best of Kiss was: Dr. Love, Love Gun, Heaven's on Fire and Let's put the X in Sex. They are most well known for Gene Simmons' long tongue that he was more than proud to display. They wore so much face paint, that they had to spend lots of time getting ready for each concert.
5. The Eagles: The Eagles began in California in 1971 and they have been making hits off and on ever since. The band has won six (6) Grammy awards and they produced seven (7) albums. They made many mainstream songs like: Hotel California, Desperado and One of These Nights. The Eagles had a tight harmony that couldn't be matched. The guitar solos performed by the Eagles were spell binding. Many of their songs are still played on the radio thirty plus years after they were made. Even the generation of today knows songs by The Eagles. This really say a lot about how truly listened to and loved this group truly is.
6. Aerosmith: Where do I begin with Aerosmith?! Steven Tyler and company formed the band in Boston in 1970. The band has songs featuring rock, heavy metal and even pop music. Some of my favorite songs by Aerosmith are Love In An Elevator, Ragdoll, Amazing, Eat The Rich but, they have so many hits other than that including: Janie's Got A Gun and Walk This Way. They have fourteen (14) albums and are in the studio working on fifteen (15).
7. Boston: They started in 1976 and they still perform concerts and produce new music. Their song writing is very moving. They have songs that are about love. They have five (5) studio albums and are now eleven (11) years later reuniting for another CD. The music is a cross between hard rock and progressive rock. My top songs from Boston are: Smokin', Amanda and Don't Look Back. One of the things that sticks out to me about this group is once again the tight harmony of the voices.
8. ZZ Top: ZZ Top began in Houston, Texas in 1969 and the music is a mix of rock and roll and blues. The music from this band is usually sexual but, on some songs the lyrics are actually comical. My favorite song by the Top is: Sharp Dressed Man and they have made a whopping fifteen (15) studio albums.
9. Journey: Journey started out in 1973 in California and they have produced seventeen (17) albums to date. The song, Don't Stop Believin' is a true rock classic and the songs Open Arms and Frontiers are classic rock at their best too.
10. Bad Company: Fittingly the list ends how it began with a rock band from England. The band formed in 1973 and they have made twelve (12) albums along the way. The songs Shooting Star and Feel Like Making Love are songs that will be played for generations to come. I've been hearing this band for over thirty years and their music withstands the test of time.
Who is The Best?
Who is Your Favorite 1970's Rock Group or Artist?
Birthplace of Pink Floyd
Links To Music
- Best Male Pop Music Stars of All Time
This article documents the top male pop artists ever. Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Chris Brown are listed in this article along with pictures, videos and commentary.
- Hip Hop's Top Artists of All Time
This article describes the top Rap artists in history. Dr. Dre, Eminem, P. diddy and Snoop Dogg are featured in this music hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this blog.
- Rock Music of The 1960's
This article desribes the top rock music groups of the 1960's. The Beatles, The Doors, Janis Joplin and Pink Floyd are listed in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, You tube videos and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Rock Music of The 1990's
This article documents the top rock groups of the 1990's. Pearl Jam, Motley Crüe, Metallica and Guns n Roses are featured in this rock music hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this blog.
- Rock Music of The 1980's
This article is about the top rock bands of the 1980's. Motley Crüe, Kiss, Guns n Roses and Poison are documented in this nostalgic music hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed here as well.
The Dark Side of The Moon
Pink Floyd's album entitled The Darkside of the Moon holds the record for the most weeks on the Billboard top 200. It features some great classics rocks hits.
© 2012 Buster Johnson