Rock Music of The 1980s
Rock of Ages: 1980s
Guns N Roses
80s Rock Bands
1. Motley Crue-Motley Crue was the epitome of 80s hair bands. They had sweet rock songs such as Without You, Home Sweet Home and Your All I Need and classics for the radio like Dr. Feelgood and Girls, Girls, Girls. They could rock I watched them live in Birmingham, Alabama and Vince Neil was on point all night long. Their first album called Too Fast For Love was a great metal album. This is one of the main heavy metal bands when I think of the most popular 80s rock bands.
2. Guns N Roses-This band like the Crue ruled the radio airwaves with rock songs like: Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle and of course, the epic, November Rain. Axel Rose was the ultimate rock star, to say the least, as he stayed in the tabloids and news for things other than his singing prowess. He really liked to party as much as he sang. Axel and Vince Neil from Mötley Crüe had an ongoing verbal feud during the mid 90s. I really love the song November Rain and Sweet Child of Mine. I love the guitar parts in the songs.
3. Bon Jovi-Bon Jovi had a lot of classic rock songs such as: Wanted Dead or Alive and It's My Life. The Album entitled Slippery When Wet is one of rock history's best albums. Jon Bon Jovi had a clear voice and the bands solo guitar performances were outstanding. They still tour worldwide and sell out venues like they always have. This band is very popular with many generations still, and I still like to play the CD's because, they can't be heard on the radio any longer.
4. Van Halen-David Lee Roth and Sammy Haggar both made great music with this band. Eddie Van Halen formed this progressive rock band in 1972 and has made many hits including: Pound Cake, Hot For Teacher and Girl. Eddie Van Halen's guitar solos are stuff of legend and his talent is undeniable. Van Halen has withstood the test of time even with changes on vocals because, the lyrics and the guitar playing are stuff of genius.
5. AC/DC-This band has some true rock classics that are still relevant today, including: Back In Black, Shook Me All Night Long and Heat Seeker. I watched ACDC perform in Alabama, and it was awesome! As the band appeared on stage, out of the smoke and proceeded to rock the house for three hours without breaking. They are from Australia but, they are huge in the U.S. and the U.K. This is one of the more harder rock bands from the 80s.
6. Aerosmith- Aerosmith began in 1970 in Boston and they have never stopped putting out hits since. Stephen Tyler and company have published some of the most recognized songs including Ragdoll, Dream On, Love In An Elevator and Walk This Way. They are known for soft rock and hard rock music. Also, Aerosmith and Run DMC was the first ever Rock and hip hop collaboration. I have a true love for Aerosmith's music.
7. Kiss- These 4 guys wore make-up but, their concerts are where the magic was at. You might think of Gene Simmons as the guy with the long tongue but, their concerts are enhanced with fireworks and explosions. They are known for songs such as: Heavens on Fire, Love Gun and Calling Dr. Love. Paul Stanley who also performed many of the lead vocals and wrote most of the songs wrote sexual songs and songs with a hook to it for the radio. I have to admit I am not so much of a fan but, the effort it takes the guys to get on stage each time they perform is crazy.
8. Def Leopard-Bringing on the Heartbreak, was the first ever heavy metal video played on MTV. It was put on the air in 1982. Great hits by these guys include: Photograph, Love Bites, Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar On Me. Drummer Rick Allen lost his left arm in a car wreck in 1984 but, he returned in 1986, returning to his position as a drummer with only one arm. This was a true tragedy but, wow what an inspiration to everyone, whether you are handicapped or not. What a great band and great songs.
9. Poison-The band was formed in 1983 by Brett Michaels and Rickki Rockett. Their star only shined for a decade but, man how it shined. Everyone knows their hit songs, Cats In The Cradle, Every Rose Has It's Thorn and of course their hit album, Open Up And Say.....AAHH. Bret Michaels is somewhat of a household celebrity now because of his Poison singing and his reality television show. This was a great band to sing along to as a teenager.
10. Twisted Sister- Ranked number 73 on VH1's 100 Top Music Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. A band who is known for songs that we still sing tidbits of today such as: We're Not Gonna Take It, I Wanna Rock. Twisted Sister was started in Long Island, NY in 1972. I never listened to Twisted Sister.
Who is The Best?
Which is Your Favorite Rock Group or Artist of The 1980's?
Birthplace of Def Leopard
Links To Music
- Country Music's Best Male Artists
This article describes the top male country music singers ever including Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Keith Urban and Clint Black. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub as well.
- Best Female Pop Artists of All Time
This hub documents the top female pop singers ever including Madonna, Mariah Carey, Brittany Spears and Whitney Houston. Pictures, you tube videoes, maps, polls and commentary are featured in this article as well.
- Rock Music of The 1970's
This article follows the best bands and rock singers during the 70's. Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Led ZEPLIN and John Lennon are featured in this nostalgic rock and roll hub. Polls, maps, pictures, you tube videos, a quiz and commentary are also located
- Rock Music of The 1960's
This article desribes the top rock music groups of the 1960's. The Beatles, The Doors, Janis Joplin and Pink Floyd are listed in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, You tube videos and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Rock Music of The 1990's
This article documents the top rock groups of the 1990's. Pearl Jam, Motley Crüe, Metallica and Guns n Roses are featured in this rock music hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this blog.
Guns n Roses
Mötley Crüe Is a Great Band
Mötley Crüe rocked hard in the 80's and 90's. Whether it was slow songs or heavy metal the Crüe could rock. The band consisted of lead singer Vince Neil, Drummer Tommy Lee, Guitarist Nikki Sixx and bass player Mick Mars.
The first album from the band is my favorite is was entitled, " Too Fast For Love".
© 2012 Buster Johnson