- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews»
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Films»
- Science Fiction
STAR BLAZERS: THE AMERICAN ADAPTATION OF THE JAPANESE ANIMATED SERIES SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO
The school day is finally over and I am running out the school door to meet my best friend who is walking home with me. We both speed walk to my house (about a quarter of a mile) and we barge through my apartment door to the surprise of my mother who is on the phone. I say hi to my mom as I almost trip over the phone cord going to the fridge to get my friend and I some chocolate milk. Drinks in hand we rush to the living room to turn on the TV. The TV is a little bit fuzzy so I fiddle around with the rabbit ears to make the picture more clear. My friend and I then sit down on bean bag chairs and get ready to watch the show. It is 1983 and I am nine years old. It is time for Star Blazers to come on.
Sound familiar? Were you a kid in the late seventies early to mid-eighties? If you were you may have run home from school to watch Star Blazers which is an American adaptation of the Japanese animated series Space Battleship Yamato.
I remember that the cartoon had an unique storyline, great spaceships and interesting characters. I also remember playing Star Blazers outside with my friends in the neighborhood as I aimed to be a member of the Star Force. Wild Star, Mark, Sandor and Captain Avatar are just a few of the character names of the cast of Star Blazers that I can immediately remember without doing any research. However I do find my memory of Star Blazers has a lot of holes in it. Where did Star Blazers come from? What was the plot of Star Blazers? These are some of the questions I will explore in the following segments.
THE BASIC STORYLINE
The year is 2199. Earth is in trouble. The planet Gamilon declares war on earth and is threatening to extinct all life form on the planet.
The forces of Gamilon decide to bombard the earth with planet bombs.
These vicious attacks unite all of Earth's people against the sinister Gamilons. However, soon the surface of the earth becomes uninhabitable due to the radiation given off from all of the bombs. People survive by moving to underground cities deep underneath the Earth's surface.
The people of earth are at risk of total extinction as the deadly radiation sinks deeper and deeper iinto the earth, All life on earth will be destroyed in one year unless a solution can be found.
One day a spaceship crashed on Mars carrying a message from Queen Starsha of the planet Iscandar 148,000 miles away. She offers Cosmo Dna to earth, a machine that can rid it of the deadly radioactivity caused by the planet bombs. Planet Iscandar must be reached.
The big question of the show is: Is it possible for a ship to reach Iscandar (148,000 miles away) and return to earth in one year?
THE AWESOME THEME SONG!!!
Star Blazers definitely started a trend and was ground breaking at the time. Star Blazers is an adaptation of the popular Japanese animated series Space Yamato.
STAR BLAZERS WAS:
- The first popular English-translated animation series that had a plot and storyline that required the episodes to be shown in order. This cartoon definitely paved the way for future translations of Japanese cartoons such as Pokemon and Yugi-hoo to just name a few.
- Aimed at kids but dealt with mature themes at. Funny a kid you do not really realize the seriousness of some of the topics in the show. People do die in the show and there are funeral scenes for the dead. The fact that the whole planet was facing extinction was also a mature theme but not really picked up by me at the time.
Because Star Blazers was shown in America it had to be edited to conform with American TV policies. Thus many changes and edits were made to the Space Battleship Yamato.
These changes include:
- Changing the title to Star Blazers.
- A lot of violence and offensive language were toned down.
- No references to alcohol use. In the Japanese version references to Sake are made and the doctor seems to always be in a drunken state.
- A lot of references to World War II were removed.
- The ship is still the historical Yamato but is renamed the Argo when rebuilt.
WHERE CAN I GET STAR BLAZERS COLLECTIBLES
I know everyone reading this is dying to know wher they can get collectible items from this show.
I have researched some items that are available at Amazon.com. Here are some of the best collectibles I found.
To the right is an excellent replica of the Space Battleship Yamato. This spaceship includes:
- GX-57 1/625 Space Ship Yamato Soul of Chogokin Metal Figure
- Six different digital sounds-Sound Wave Gun Fire, Gunshot Sound Wave, Gunshot Sound, Laser Gun Firing Sound Pulses, Fire Engine Sound, Audible Alarm.
- Full-Color LED lights on the wave cannon, reactor nozzle and main bridge.
- 17 Inches in length
- Includes so much more!! Has to be seen.
Below are some other awesome collectibles that can be bought on Amazon.
SO YOU THINK YOU ARE A STAR BLAZERS FAN
view quiz statistics