Scarlett Ohara , Vivien Leigh & The Costumes of Gone with the Wind
What Dress was your Favorite???
Gone with the Wind!!
This movie is one of if not THE All Time Best Love Story! Set in time when ladies wore full length gowns and men wore top hats and suits to every event they attended. Scarlett O'Hara wore some of the most beautiful gowns that has ever graced the cinema screen. Ranging from tight and seductive to full and inspiring.
In this hub I was able to find almost every classic gown that was worn during the film. If you have ever seen Gone with the Wind then I am sure that each gown will take you right back to each scene of the movie which it was worn in. If you have never scene the film then perhaps the dresses alone are enough to make you want to take a few hours out of our day to sit down and enjoy one of the Greatest films ever made.
Here is a little description of each dress and which part of the movie it is worn in starting from the very top -
- Red Robe Dress- This dress was worn during the scene after Ashely's Birthday Party and the classic stair scene where Rhett Butler picks Scarlett up and and takes her up stairs to ravish her
- Green Robe Dress- Scarlett wears this dress while she reminiscing over a picture of Ashely that she hides in her vanity table and Rhett walks up behind her and catches her
- White Colonial Dress- The first dress we see Scarlett in as the opening of film and the famous scene when she is standing overlooking the estate with her father
- Strolling Dress- Scarlett wears this dress while taking Baby Bonnie for a walk in the stroller as they discuss the future of their baby girl
- The RED Dress- Probably the most iconic dress of the whole film. When Rhett finds out that Scarlett was caught in embrace with Ashely earlier that day, he thinks the worst and makes her wear this dress to a party so that everyone will see her or the Slut she is, his line I believe was "Nothing modest or matronly will do for this occasion! and put on plenty of rouge, I want you to look your part tonight"
- Green Curtain Dress- Another one of her most popular dresses throughout the movie is this dress. When Scarlett is out of money and needs gold to pay the taxes on her land she decides to go and ask Rhett for money, but she cant go in rags, so she decides to tear down her mothers curtains and make a new dress out of them.
- New Bonnet Dress- This is the outfit worn right before the RED Dress night when she goes to visit Ashely at the Mill, but during a friendly embrace onlookers got the wrong idea and spread the gossip fast
- Green BBQ Dress- The second scene of the movie and On the day of the Wilkes BBQ, Scarlett decides that this the day she will confess her love to Ashely Wilkes and then he would ask her to marry him. However when she tells him and he tells her he has already asked someone else to marry him, plans change drastically and Scarlett makes a stupid decision.
- First Wedding Dress- After Ashely Wilkes denies Scarlett she is so hurt and angry that she decides to marry his cousin Charles just to make him jealous, unfortunately this doesn't work out exactly as she had hoped.
- Married Mr.Kennedy Dress- In this dress we find out that Scarlett has married her second husband Mr. Kennedy, however this was her sisters fiancé which she tricked into sleeping with her so she could get his money.
- Green & White Day Dress- After marrying her 3rd and final husband Rhett Butler, she takes a trip back her home where he tells her she can fix it up to be as grand as it used to be. One of the truly happy moment between them both
- Blue Robe- This is the scene right after Scarlett gives birth to her first baby, whose eyes were so blue just like her mommy , Rhett decided to name her Bonnie Blue Butler
- Gold Fur Trim Dress- After Rhett and Scarlett have a horrible fight he takes Bonnie and moves to London, after they return Scarlett is in this dress and she tells Rhett she is pregnant again, although Rhett was happy he didn't want to show it and neither did Scarlett and then they fought again and Scarlett has a terrible accident.
- The Black Fur Coat- By far the saddest scene in the entire movie (I wont give it away in case someone hasn't seen it) but Scarlett is wearing this fur coat when the thing that destroys their marriage happens.