Sean Spicer Still on 'Dancing with the Stars': Some Viewers Aren't Happy
Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer is still on ABC's Dancing with the Stars after eight weeks of competition. It is quite obvious that he is still on the show because of America's votes and not because of his poor performances.
The 48-year-old contestant has been getting the low scores from the judges since the show premiered its 28th season on September 16, 2019.
There is no end to the controversy that Spicer is staying on Dancing with the Stars much longer than better dancers with higher scores.
People are calling Spicer's stay on the popular dance competition show "outrageous." Last Monday night, he received enough votes to keep him on the show even though he received the lowest score of the night. Kate Flannery was eliminated even though she earned a perfect score for her individual dance routine in addition to winning the dance-off with Sean. The irony is that Kate was eliminated from the show while Sean got to stay.
Most viewers, even those voting for him to stay, have seen that Sean isn't dancing that well. Every dance looks the same no matter if it is jive, the quickstep, the Paso Doble, or the Viennese waltz. That's because he stomps around the ballroom floor flinging his arms in the air. His dances are just awful. Head judge Len Goodman said, "We keep putting you in the water, and your voters keep throwing you a lifeline."
He has been the weakest dancer on the show based on his performance and his low scores, but he has been safe for eight consecutive weeks. With just a few more episodes to go, viewers are fearing that he might end up winning the mirrorball trophy.
Where Spicer's Votes Are Coming From?
The viewing audience can vote during the live broadcast. On October 14, President Donald Trump encouraged his 66.5 million Twitter followers to vote for his former press secretary because he is "a great and very loyal guy who is working very hard.”
Sarah Sanders who replaced Spicer at the White House says her entire family has been using all their available votes for her friend. Spicer said his wife has a campaign going on each week to get votes for him.
Spicer has his own website where people can purchase mugs, hats, and signs that say, “Let’s stand up for people who can’t dance!”
Reactions from Spicer, Partner, Judges, and Other Contestants
Spicer admits he cannot dance. He realized votes from the public are keeping him on the show. When asked if he would bow out of the competition, he said he has thought about it. However, he says he has to be faithful to his voters who are supporting him and keeping him on the show. Therefore, his final answer was "No, I will not drop out."
Spicer's professional partner Lindsay Arnold said she loves seeing Sean getting votes, but at the same time, this is a dance competition. She has a look of surprise on her face every time her partner is safe to dance the next week.
Judge Carrie Ann Inaba revealed to Entertainment Tonight that it is a shame that people who have worked so hard to get high scores have been eliminated and Spicer is still there. She doesn't like what is happening, but the judges have their hands tied. Even though they are giving Sean the low scores he deserves, he keeps being safe because of the votes he is getting from the public.
The three judges, Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman, and Bruno Tonioli, decide which of the bottom two couples goes home. Spicer has never been in the bottom two. If he ever does land there, the judges will get their chance to eliminate him.
When Sailor Brinkley-Cook was eliminated in Week 6, she couldn't believe it. Her high scores did not keep her on the show. It would not have hurt her so badly if Spicer had been eliminated or even in the bottom two, but he wasn't.
At the end of Week 7, Karamo Brown was eliminated. He didn't cry as Sailor did. Instead, he complimented Sean. Then his sons began getting death threats because of their father's comment. Brown has since deactivated his Twitter account.
Now Brown is speaking out and admitting Spicer can't dance. The Queer Eye star told Andy Cohen that he was robbed, and he should still be on the show. Brown believes he was unfairly upstaged by Spicer. He added that fan votes are the reason Sean is still trying to dance each week. He continued, "And also our president, who should be doing other stuff, has been tweeting for people to vote for the man."
Professional Dancer Cheryl Burke Defends Spicer
Many people associated with the show are saying they are disappointed that some of the best dancers are eliminated while Spicer is still on the show. However, there is one person defending him.
Two-time champion Cheryl Burke and her partner Ray Lewis withdrew from the show during the third week because of an injury to Lewis' foot. Cheryl has been a professional dancer on DWTS for 22 of the 28 seasons.
She defends Spicer and says she thinks he will make it to the finals. The 35-year-old dancer says she admires Sean because he is not letting the haters get to him.