- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews»
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Films
Season Two of "Stranger Things" is Confirmed
Winona Ryder Stars in "Stranger Things" on Netflix
And We're Back for Season Two of "Stranger Things"
Netflix has confirmed that season two of "Stranger Things" will happen, but in due time. When dealing with human beings playing the roles of the likes of "Eleven" or "Will," there are things to consider when filming a series, such as the voice changes and growth patterns of the teens involved.
As seen in the Harry Potter franchise, the teens are going through their growth spurts, so filming has to be set around these natural changes. For example, Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin Henderson) has a voice that’s dropping in tone so much so that during the filming process the crew had to pitch his voice up quite a bit. The idea of filming right away isn’t feasible, according to Matt Duffer, co-creator of Stranger Things.
“Yeah, you have to do the Harry Potter thing,” Duffer explained to Inquisitr. “You have to jump a year. Because, like Gaten (Dustin), his voice has already dropped quite a bit, to the point where we couldn’t even do automated dialogue replacement with him. We had to pitch it way up. It’s dropped. He’s grown. As much as I would love to have it be Christmas right after that, it’s not feasible so we’re going to skip a year. They’ll be a year older and all their changes they’re going through, we’ll take that into account and kind of work that into the show.”
Season one of "Stranger Things"
If you haven't met the characters of Stranger Things, it's time you do. The show is a nail-biting, keep you on the edge of your seat fantasy. The kids involved with the show do an amazing job of bringing the characters to life.
Winona Ryder has always done well in her roles, but the role of Joyce Byers is one of her best. After she loses her son Will (Noah Schnapp) to God knows what, she does what the typical mother would do - she consumes her life with the idea that her son is still alive. Her attempts to make those around her believe that her son is still breathing is exhausting, but she holds steady in her endeavors, regardless of how crazy she must seem.
Stranger Things Synopsis
With no premiere date set, we can only hope that it will be soon. For those who have not yet seen the series, it’s time to catch up for the upcoming season.
The sci-fi thriller series revolves around a kids who live in the small town of Hawkins. Millie Bobby Brown plays the role of Eleven, a young girl who appears in the town with a dark past. She has grown up in an experimental lab, used as a guinea pig of sorts due to her special abilities such as telekinesis. Of course the evil people who operate the lab (one gentleman in particular) wants to use her as a weapon and as a go-between to the upside-down.
The kids end up being friends with Eleven and their new friend remains a secret. Eleven has told them that she is running from a bad situation, one with bad people. If they only knew.
As the tale unfolds, the town experiences the loss of a couple of young people, one of whom belongs in the group of kids, Will. Will, Joyce's son, disappears and Eleven claims she knows he is still alive because she can feel and see him. He is in the “upside-down,” a very scary place that frightens Eleven.
Stranger Things connects us with the idea that there is another dimension, another world that is the dark reflection of this world. But with the darker side of the world, comes a monster that kidnaps and kills people. Obviously the monster is able to snatch people from the reality we know and drag them deep into the depths of hell in the upside-down.
From the upside-down, Will communicates with his mother through lights. The problem is that the monster also uses light as a source of energy to pull off his dirty deeds, but Joyce realizes her son is alive and running from the evil entity because of the ability to have Will answer questions for her through the use of strands of Christmas lights.
As the series progresses, Joyce is soon joined by the town Sheriff who begins to believe that it may not be as simple as the assumption that Will has been kidnapped and killed.
Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven
Duffer Announces Season Two
Duffer explains that the second season of the sci-fi thriller will be shown one year after the conclusion of season one, meaning we won't see anything new until the summer of 2017. Duffer and the crew will ensure we are informed of events that took place throughout the year in the land of Hawkins and the upside-down.
The awesome characters we've seen on season one of Stranger Things will return to reprise their roles, but we will also meet new members of the story. Duffer explains that season two will be like a sequel to season one, with a story line that can lead into many seasons, collecting new cast members along the way as most series do.
Toward the conclusion of season one, viewers were stunned when Sheriff Hopper (David Harbour) threw Eleven under the bus so to speak when he was captured by those in the lab. Eleven finally gave her life (or so we are led to believe) when she killed the monster to save the lives of those she considered friends. However, the guilt felt by Hopper is revealed when the ending shows Hopper dropping off Eggo waffles (Eleven's favorite food) into a box in the woods. Hopper made a deal with the men inside the lab but it has not been stated as to what the details of the trade may have been. We are left with the idea that Eleven will return.
The show's creator, Duffer, did not state that Eleven was dead, but he was also quite vague as to whether or not she was alive.
“Obviously something happened to her when she destroyed and killed that monster and we don’t know where she went. Hopper is left with this guilt because he sold her out. We wanted to leave it sort of mysterious exactly what he knows. Have there been sightings in the woods or is he hoping she’s out there or has he already made contact with her? We don’t answer any of that, but we like the idea of potentially putting her and Hopper together.”
Stranger Things Trailer - a Netflix Original
Stranger Things - Interesting Facts
During the filming of any movie or series, there are little tidbits of information that make interesting reads. For the filming of Stranger Things, here are a few fun facts to know:
- Millie Bobby Brown was terrified to have her head shaved for the filming of Stranger Things, as any 11-year-old girl would be. The Duffer brothers showed her how Charlize Theron looked in Mad Max: Fury Road. Brown decided to shave it off after that.
- While the state trooper is watching the morgue, he is reading Cujo by Stephen King. The Duffer brothers admit that the work of Stephen King and Steven Spielberg both influenced the making of the show. The book is a "nod" to King.
- Stranger Things opens to the group of boys playing Dungeons and Dragons. During the viewing of episode titles and credits, the same font is used as the Dungeons and Dragons source books.
- Sheriff Hopper lives in a trailer during the show. It has been reported that the trailer cost the art department $1 to buy it.
- The official poster for the series was created by Kyle Lambert. It was done in an art style inspired by acclaimed poster/album artwork artist Drew Struzan, who has created official posters for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, E.T. And several others.
- The Hawkins Police Department vehicles and uniforms are identical to those used in Jaws and Jaws 2. This includes the Chief's tan uniform, Amity Island triangle shaped patch, and beige SUV that was worn/used by Roy Scheider's character. This also includes the blue uniforms and trooper/sheriff style hats worn by the patrolman, which also matches the Amity Island Police uniforms from the Jaws films.
- Winona Ryder portrays a mother whose child has gone missing. In real life, Ryder dedicated the film Little Women (1994) to Polly Hannah Klaas, a young girl from her hometown of Petaluma, California, who went missing and was later revealed to have been kidnapped and brutally murdered. She offered a $200,000 reward for anyone with information on the subject, and as of 2016 she still remains a strong supporter of the Polly Klaas Foundation for Prevention of child abduction, and aid in the search.
- Dustin Henderson's medical condition is called cleidocranial dysplasia and it's a disorder involving the abnormal development of bones in the skull and collar (clavicle) area. The condition is passed down through families (inherited).
- Winona Ryder is admittedly a late bloomer in terms of electronic devices and hereby didn't know what streaming was, when she was approached for this Netflix series.
- The Duffer Brothers originally wanted to make the upcoming remake of Stephen King's "IT" but were turned down. They then went on to make Stranger Things which is why it is littered with homages to Stephen King movies.
Stranger Things Season One
Did you like season one of Stranger Things?
Stranger Things on Netflix
Cast of Stranger Things
Sheriff Jim Hopper
Millie Bobby Brown
Dr. Martin Brenner
Randall P. Havens
Susan Shalhoub Larkin
Agent Connie Frazier
Hugh B. Holub
Robert Walker Branchaud
Hawkins Head of Security