Shazam! Just Say the Word. But What Does It Mean?
Shazam, the word itself may refer to a few characters, as:
- Shazam, formerly Captain Marvel (DC Comics)
Shazam, a Fawcett Comics and, later, DC Comics superhero.
- Shazam, the Wizard
Shazam, the wizard who gives Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family their powers.
- Shazam! the Movie
And in 2019, Shazam! the movie is going to be released soon on 5th April in US. It is based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Produced by New Line Cinema and distributed by Warner Bros.
Shazam's Marvel Connection
- Fawcett Comics, publisher of Captain Marvel, the original 1939.
- Captain Marvel had some similarities with DC's (then National Comics Publications) Superman. So DC sued Fawcett, over copyright infringement against Fawcett.
- DC and Fawcett settled out of court.
- Marvel Comics (formerly Atlas) decided to make their own Captain Marvel.
- DC, licensed the original Captain Marvel from Fawcett’s owners.
- But DC couldn’t publish the stories under Captain Marvel's name, so they improvised.
- DC took both the wizard's name that gave Captain Marvel his powers and the magic word he speaks to become a hero, which was Shazam.
SHAZAM ! Just Say the Word
A wizard named Shazam, gave Billy Batson the power to become a superhero by just uttering the word SHAZAM. It's an acronym for Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury.
So the concept is that he would acquire all the power of those heroic figures.
The Wisdom of Solomon
Solomon was the biblical king most famous for his wisdom.
The Judgment of Solomon is a story from the Hebrew Bible in which two women both claiming to be the mother of a child. Solomon revealed their true feelings and relationship to the child by suggesting to cut the baby in two, with each woman to receive half. One of those woman agreed to this but the other one begged and said, "Give the baby to her, just don't kill him!" So king Solomon declared the second woman the true mother.
The Strength of Hercules
Hercules, a Roman hero and god, famous for his strength and for his numerous far-ranging adventures.
12 Labours of Hercules:
- Slay the Nemean Lion.
- Slay the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra.
- Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis.
- Capture the Erymanthian Boar.
- Clean the Augean stables in a single day.
- Slay the Stymphalian Birds.
- Capture the Cretan Bull.
- Steal the Mares of Diomedes.
- Obtain the girdle of Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons.
- Obtain the cattle of the monster Geryon.
- Steal the apples of the Hesperides.
- Capture and bring back Cerberus.
The Stamina of Atlas & His Invulnerability
Atlas, the Titan god, personified the quality of endurance. Atlas was a leader of the Titans in their war against Zeus and after their defeat he was condemned to carry the heavens upon his shoulder. Atlas was given this task in retribution for him leading the Titans into battle, against the Olympian Gods for control of the heavens.
The Power of Zeus & His Ability to Summon Thunderbolts
Zeus is the Olympian god , the king of all other gods and men, and, consequently, the chief figure in Greek mythology is most famous power is the ability to throw lightning bolts.
The Courage of Achilles
Achilles, a demigod, was the greatest warrior on the Achaeans side , in the Trojan war. He never lost a fight. He was extraordinarily strong, courageous and loyal, but he had one vulnerability–his “Achilles heel.”
The Speed of Mercury & His Ability to Fly
Mercury, in Roman religion, god of shopkeepers and merchants, travelers and transporters of goods, and thieves and tricksters. He is the fleet-footed messenger of the gods.According to myth, he had a winged hat and sandals, so he could fly.
Different From Most DC Characters
With all those heroic powers Shazam stands out from most DC characters who are generally dark and grimy. Don't believe me? Check out the trailer yourself.