Unbelievable Pictures & Videos Showing How Small Earth Really Is!
It IS a small World were living in!
If you've ever had the difficulty grasping the true sizes involved in astronomy, you will be astonished and amazed by the size of earth, compared to other planets and stars,
They say the universe contains billions of stars, galaxies, planet's and universes. To think that we are the only "intelligent" life out there in such a vast amount of space is incredulous to believe. The scales involved are so mind-boggling, how could us humans ever think we are alone!?
The following pictures and videos are the best visual images that I've ever seen that shows pretty clearly just how insignificant earth is. Prepare to feel extremely small.
- Here are some of our planets. Compared to others, Earth looks pretty big right.!? Keep reading as Earth gets a whole lot smaller! The diameter of Earth is around 12,756 km.
- As we travel farther out, we encounter the gas giants 'Jupiter' and 'Saturn'. Even the ice giants 'Uranus' and 'Neptune' make Earth look so small in comparison, and Pluto is barely visible. Jupiter is 318 times bigger than Earth. Its diameter is 142,984 km and is 588 million km away from Earth.
- 'Earth' is just about visible at this scale and 'Jupiter,' the giant among planets in our system is just a single pixel. The 'Sun' is 100 times bigger than the 'Earth' and is 149,600,000 km away from 'Earth'.
- 'Earth' is invisible at this scale and even the 'Sun' looks small compared to "Arcturus", the giant star at the centre of our solar system. This burning gas giant completely dwarfs even the biggest planet 'Jupiter'. The massive star 'Pollux' and 'Sirius' don't look so big in comparison to 'Arcturus'. 'Arcturus' has a diameter of 35,748,800 km and is 36.7 light-years away from 'Earth'.
But even 'Arcturus' is dwarfed by the super-giant 'Antares', the massive red star. Next in size is 'Betelgeuse', one of three stars that make up the 'Winter Triangle'. The star 'Aldebaran' is a similar size to 'Orion' which is one of the brightest stars in the celestial equator. 'Antares' is 10 times bigger than the Sun and 550 light-years away from Earth.
- As we get to the largest known star out there, the 'VY Canis Majoris' has a diameter of around 2,800.000.000 km and is 3,900 light-years away from 'Earth'. The 2nd largest Star is 'VV Cephei'. The 3rd largest is 'Mu Cephei'.
To really try to comprehend the sizes involved here is mind boggling!.
Video: Star Size Comparison
Do you think that "intelligent life" exists on a Planet in a Universe somewhere?
Interesting Earth stuff
- Earth is about 4 to 5 billion years old.
- The Earth is slowing down and will continue to rotate slower each day. To compensate for lost time 'seconds' have to be added - The weight of the Earth is also getting lighter each day.
- Water covers 70% of the planet and the land covers 30%
- The Earth's crust consists of the following chemicals. Alumina. Carbon dioxide. Iron oxide. Lime. Magnesia. Phosphorus pentoxide. Potassium oxide. Titanium dioxide. Silica. Sodium oxide and Water.
- At the equator, you would weigh less than if standing at one of the poles.
- There are over 1000 man-made and operational satellites orbiting Earth. The Soviet Union launched the first satellite in space. It was launched in 1957 to broadcast radio pulses.
- The hottest place on Earth is at El Azizia, Libya, where temperatures can reach 136 degrees.Fahrenheit..
- The lowest natural temperature ever recorded was at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica, where ground measurements hit degrees -128 Fahrenheit.
Video: Life in The Universe Documentary
Earth: Amazing Feats
Did You Know...
- July 22nd, 1933, the American aviator Wiley Post became the first male pilot to fly solo around the world in an Aircraft named Winnie Mae. It took him 7 days.
- May 20, 1932, the American aviation pioneer Amelia Mary Earhart, became the first female aviator to fly solo across the world. It took her just under 15 hours.
- June 20, 1970, the American adventurer Dave Kunst was the first person to walk around the Earth. He finished on October 5, 1974.
Video: How to Explore MARS in Google Maps - Google Mars
© 2007 Compu-Smart