The 5 Hottest, Sexiest Female Movie Stars Ever
The movies has certainly had its share of sexy women, but who is the sexiest? Choosing a top five among the best-looking, hottest, sexiest, most beautiful women of cinema is hardly an objective matter. However, I would argue that as culture has changed and the tolerance for nudity and other such taboos has increased, the sexiness of current movie stars has actually dropped. It's harder to find a current movie star who is truly sexy because often, their sexiness is presented as an in-your-face sort of appeal. Bottom line, standards have changed a lot and it's difficult to evaluate the sexiness of female movie stars from past and present.
I think it relevant to address the topic of objectification here, briefly. Yes, in pointing out the sexiness of these women, I am objectifying them. However, I think the entire business of Hollywood is about objectification and that those who are in it would find it hard to do anything without being objectified. It doesn't make it right. It's just important to recognize it and I do.
Nevertheless, the following is my list of the top five best-looking, most attractive, and yes, hottest, female movie stars.
- Grace Kelly
- Salma Hayek
- Marilyn Monroe
- Raquel Welch
Sexy Female Movie Stars: Grace Kelly
Try to watch Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window" and not draw the conclusion that Grace Kelly isn't the most beautiful woman of all-time. Okay, it was the 1950s and the word "beautiful" was more in use than the word "sexy", but it's hard not to think of Grace Kelly as being one of the sexiest women of all-time.
If my memory is correct, Jimmy Stewart wakes up at some point and as he opens his eyes, there's Grace Kelly hovering over him. She makes quite the impression.
Grace Kelly Essential Filmography
High Noon (1952)
Dial M For Murder (1954)
Rear Window (1954)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
High Society (1956)
Grace Kelly Interesting Facts
- Married Prince Ranier of Monaco in April 1956 and became Princess Grace.
- Her movies were banned in Monaco.
- She died in a car accident apparently caused by a stroke on Nov. 14, 1982.
- Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman were her favorite actors when she was a child.
- The first actress to appear on a postage stamp in 1993.
Sexy Female Movie Stars: Salma Hayek
Remember "the list"?
I'm not sure when it started, but it was that list that men and women kept that listed the five famous people a partner could sleep with or would sleep with given the chance. I think maybe it was a Seinfeld thing.
Anyway, I'm not sure when you first came in contact with somebody else's list, but as far as my male friends go, Salma Hayek was on every single list. Most of my friends would have cut off one of their limbs to have sex with Salma Hayek. And okay, objectifying Ms. Hayek that way given her intelligence, is unfair, but man could she draw eyes. Easily one of the sexiest women ever.
I think the first time I realized just how hot Salma Hayek was, was in Robert Rodriguez's "Desperado" in 1995. She appears topless very briefly in that film and it was one of those moments where computer image capture went through the roof.
Salma Hayek Essential Filmography
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
Salma Hayek Interesting Facts
- Salma is an Arabic name and means "peace" or "calm".
- She is dyslexic.
- Her brother designs clothes and boasts Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston as clients.
- Married to billionaire businessman Francois-Henri Pinault. Pinault dated Linda Evangelista before dating Hayek. Prior to marrying Pinault, Hayek is quoted as saying that she was looking for a man who "has more balls than I do."
- Dog lover.
Who's the Hottest Female Movie Star Ever?
Sexy Female Movie Stars: Marilyn Monroe
It's hard to imagine a list of the hottest movies stars that doesn't include Marilyn Monroe.
Even if, by today's standards, Monroe's sexiness is tame, her contribution to iconic standards is legendary. Born Norma Jeane Mortenson, Monroe died on August 5, 1962, leaving behind a reputation as the woman who redefined what it meant to be a female movie star.
Marilyn Monroe Essential Filmography
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)
The Seven Year Itch (1955)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Misfits (1961)
Marilyn Monroe Interesting Facts
- The licensing of her name still nets about $2 million per year to her estate.
- Appeared on the first cover of Playboy in 1953.
- Hugh Hefner owns the closest burial vault next to hers.
- Niagara was the only film she was in where her character died.
- Joe DiMaggio, her ex-husband, put roses at her grave for years after her death.
- Monroe was suggested as a possible wife for Prince Ranier of Monaco, but he went with Grace Kelly (apparently he could just choose?)
- When Monroe divorced DiMaggio, the latter was excommunicated from the Catholic Church.
- Batman heroine Vicki Vale is based on Monroe's likeness.
Sexy Female Movie Stars: Ann-Margret
The Swedish Ann-Margret, born Ann-Margret Olsson, actually came to America as a singer. It's hard to imagine the vivacious Ann-Margret as an introverted child, but it's true. She's probably the original sex kitten. Although she starred with the Elvis in Viva Las Vegas and was thus seen as little more than an accessory, she went on to receive an Oscar nomination for Carnal Knowledge. She does appear nude in that film, so it's worth watching for that, among other reasons.
Ann-Margret Essential Filmography
Viva Las Vegas (1964)
The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
Carnal Knowledge (1971)
52 Pick-Up (1986)
Grumpy Old Men (1993)
Ann-Margret Interesting Facts
- Survived a dramatic 22 foot fall in 1972 from a stage in Lake Tahoe which left her with a broken arm, five facial fractures, and a concussion.
- Had a romance with Elvis.
- Discovered by comedian George Burns.
- A keen motorcyclist.
- Is not a natural redhead.
- Guest-starred on The Flintstones as Ann-Margrock
- Experienced a resurgence in popularity in 2013 as a result of her most famous film being featured in an episode of Mad Men.
Sexy Female Movie Stars: Raquel Welch
Part of Raquel Welch's appeal is that it seems she's been hot all her life, even now in her seventies.
Welch's iconic moment was when her character emerged in One Million Years B.C. in that skimpy outfit, revealing a body that suddenly gave a new meaning to the word "buxom". Oh sure, there had been the Jane Russells and the Jayne Mansfields, but it was the 1960s and with it came a change in the relationship between desire and possibility.
Raquel Welch represented it all.
Raquel Welch Essential Filmography
Fantastic Voyage (1966)
One Million Years B.C. (1966)
Myra Breckenridge (1970)
Mother, Jugs & Speed (1976)
Legally Blonde (2001)
Raquel Welch Interesting Facts
- Her father was Bolivian.
- MGM fired her from Cannery Row in 1982. She was replaced by Debra Winger. Welch then successfully sued for $10 million.
- She is mentioned in the theme song for The Fall Guy.
- Had a notorious feud with Mae West on the set of Myra Breckenridge.
- Lost the role of Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island to Dawn Wells.
- Has American ancestry dating back to John Quincy Adams and the Mayflower.
- The 100 Sexiest Movie Stars 2013 | Empire | www.empireonline.com
18 Feb 2014: In depth looks at all the movies that matter as well as quizzes, fun and games from the world's leading film magazine.
- The FreshSite: Film: Actors: The 30 Most Beautiful Female Movie Stars ofAll Time