Classic Movie Lines Quiz
The movies that become great classics have talented actors, a riveting story, entertaining dialogue, and always a few unforgettable lines. Sometimes a single movie line is so good that it becomes as enduring as the movie itself. Want proof?
Even if you aren't a classic movie aficionado, you'll probably recognize the following twenty movie lines that that have become part of our everyday vernacular. Can you remember what movie each classic movie line is from?
What Movie Made These Lines Unforgettable?
I’ll bet that most of you have heard all of these movie lines, but do you know which movie to credit?
Some of these movie lines are easy, some will be right there on the tip of your tongue, and a few may be a real challenge. Grab a pencil and paper, all you trivia buffs. Give yourself an allotment of time and try to write down the movie and, if you are really good, the actor who made the movie line famous. (Or maybe it’s the other way around?) Don’t scroll down to the answers below until you are done!
- “Nobody Puts Baby in the corner.”
- “I’m the king of the world!"
- "You complete me", and "You had me at hello."
- "I'll have what she's having."
- “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.”
- “If you build it, they will come.”
- “Go ahead, make my day.”
- “Hasta La Vista, baby”, and "I'll be back."
- “Houston, we have a problem.”
- “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”
- “I feel the need, the need for speed.”
- "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
- “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
- “What knockers!”
- “I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.”
- “May the force be with you.”
- "One million dollars."
- "I’ll get you, my pretty.”
- “I see dead people.”
- "We'll always have Paris." and “Here’s looking at you, kid.”
Meg Ryan's Famous Fake "O"
The Need for Speed
Don't Call Me Shirley!
Dr. Evil's Plan
The Movies That Made the Lines Famous
Okay, here are the answers:
- Dirty Dancing, delivered by Patrick Swaze
- Titanic, Leonardo DiCaprio said this as he made like a ship hood ornament.
- Jerry Maguire, lines said between Renee Zellweger and Tom Cruise
- When Harry Met Sally, said by a small part actor after Meg Ryan’s famous fake “O”.
- Love Story, Ali MacGraw’s memorable 1970’s line.
- Field of Dreams, a line heard by Kevin Costner.
- Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood’s killer cop line
- Terminator, Arnold Schwarzenegger made both of these lines famous.
- Apollo 13, as spoken by Tom Hanks in his best astronaut voice.
- Network, as part of Peter Finch’s memorable speech in the newsroom.
- Top Gun, said by Maverick, (Tom Cruise) as he high-fived Goose (Anthony Edwards)
- The Godfather I, this line was coined by Marlon Brando as he spoke with cotton stuffed in his mouth (so it goes).
- Gone With the Wind, Clark Gable to Scarlett O'Hara (Vivian Leigh), circa 1936
- Young Frankenstein, one funny misunderstood line delivered by Gene Wilder
- Airplane!, Leslie Nielson's hysterical line
- Star Wars, said by one character in each Star Wars Episode, Obi Wan (Ewan McGregor), Han Sol (Harrison Ford), Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) and others.
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, growled by Dr. Evil, played by Mike Myers
- Wizard of Oz, threated by Margaret Hamilton who played the Wicked Witch of the East.
- Sixth Sense, a confession by Haley Joel Osment to Bruce Willis
- Casablanca, 1942 classic lines spoken by Humphrey Bogart to Ingrid Bergman.
Humphrey Bogart's Classic Movie Lines
Classic Movie Lines - How'd You Do?
Could you guess the movies to these classic movie lines? How many did you get? It takes a real movie buff to remember which movie these great movie lines belong to, doesn't it? Try this at your next party...you'd be amazed how much better a group does. Where's the popcorn?