The Duggars From the Popular Show "19 Kids and Counting" Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe
How to Make the Duggar's Laundry Detergent Recipe
The Duggar family from "19 Kids and Counting" , has posted on their website "Duggar Family Blog" a homemade laundry recipe that they use everyday of the week. With 19 kids (and counting) they go through a lot of laundry each day, washing more than 50 loads of laundry per week. Since the Duggars are one of America's largest families, they strive to save as much money as they can. The family motto is "Buy used and save the difference". It has obviously worked, the Duggar family's net worth is $3.5 million dollars.
Here is the laundry recipe the Duggars have perfected in order to save money by buying expensive name brand laundry detergent.
Liquid Laundry Soap
This Duggar laundry soap recipe can be used on front or top-load machines. The recipe makes a total of 11 gallons of soap, 640 loads in a front-load machine. Before use, dilute the detergent, then stir. Your detergent will not go bad, and you can use one it for many months.
For your convenience , if you look on the bottom of this article, I have listed all the products in Amazon so you can easily buy everything you need to make this recipe. I went to Wal-Mart last night, but they didn't even have half the ingredients I needed.
1. Add 4 cups hot tap water in a stove pot
2. Add Fels-Naptha soap bar
3. Add 1 cup Arm & Hammer super washing soda (be careful it is not baking soda or detergent.
4. Add 3/4 of a cup borax
5. 1 gallon bucket
1. Grate the bar of Fels-Naptha Soap, I usually use a cheese grater for this step.
2. Place a large saucepan with water on high heat.
3. Stir the soap constantly until it is completely dissolved.
4. Fill half of a 5 gallon bucket with hot water.
5. Add the melted soap in a large saucepan, but add the washing soda and borax straight to the bucket. Stir until all the ingredients (especially the soap) completely dissolved.
6. Add 10 drops of the essential oil you like. Get creative ! Try my favorite, peppermint or rose oil.
7.Fill the remainder of bucket with hot tap water, and let the liquid detergent set overnight. Make sure that the bucket has a lid.
After the deregent sets over night, it should have the same consistencies of gel. Right before you wish to use the detergent, stir the ingredients in the bucket so the texture will be that of any other liquid detergent. Make sure you put the lid back on when your done.
For a top load machine, use 1 cup of detergent per load, so that the detergent is completely diluted soap. For a front load machine, use 1/4 of a cup per load of the diluted soap