The TMZ Theocracy: "Why?... 'Cuz I've Got Nice Titties!" Part 2
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not questioning their talents or merits to be a "star." I'm just questioning the blind adulation that they inspire in millions of people who will follow whatever they say, regardless of what misguided pet project they happen to be pushing these days.
- Third World child hunger is a serious issue, but do I want to hear the message from an ex-con like Sean Penn?
- How China is subjugating Tibet is a crime, but is Richard Gere the "proper" messenger given that he has never really been able to put to rest the allegations that he's a gerbiller?
- Helping people find God is wonderful, but do is famed prostitute-John Jimmy Swaggart the most appropriate evangelist we can find?
And please don't get me started on Lindsay Lohan, Kate Gosselin, or Paris Hilton. In any other society, these people would likely be raking and covering latrines.
These may be regular people but since absolute power corrupts absolutely, they have been imbued by the "divine" by a loving audience, and thus have begun to believe that the laws of mortals, indeed the laws of biology and even the laws of physics do not apply to them.
Let's face it. Anyone who does not carry the aura of celebrity could never have pulled off:
- Marrying your own stepdaughter - Woody Allen
- Marrying your own 13 year old cousin - Jerry Lee Lewis
- Walking around bald and pantyless - Britney Spears
- Getting away with child porn and rape - R. Kelly
- Killing a woman and not even being charged - Ted Kennedy
- Killing two people and being convicted civilly but not criminally - O.J. Simpson
- Having a competitor physically attacked - Tanya Harding
- Running around park bathrooms looking for gay sex - George Michael
- Being a total boorish moron at every awards show - Kanye West
- Being a mouthpiece for a criminal cult - Tom Cruise
- Being a mouthpiece for a criminal cult responsible for killing your child - John Travolta
- Killing and maiming dogs - Michael Vick
- Beating up your girlfriend - Chris Brown
- Beating up your wife - Bobby Brown
- Beating up damn near everyone around you - Naomi Campbell
- Engaging in vile racist comments - Michael Richards, Mel Gibson, Don Imus, etc.
- Becoming more famous the more drugs you take - Robert Downey Jr., Courtney Love, Amy Winehouse, & many many many others from Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison onwards.
Hey, I really have no problem about a common criminal street thug like 50-Cent who got took 9 caps surviving and going on to make money. Hey, more power to you, dude. I couldn't take a stab in my thumb from an Xacto knife, so I definitely have to hand you props on that one. What I have a problem with is how his incoherent comments and his lurid life are the subject of profound admiration by millions of young people who aspire to be just like him.
Therefore, who the hell are these people and what does it say about the wisdom of the seven billion people on this planet who pay far more attention to their every utterance than they do to Nobel winners?